Secret to the spring tour 1971 Jerry tone

Secret to the spring tour 1971 Jerry tone

Postby James-T » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:38 am

Has anyone tried a les Paul with p90's to capture the spring tour sound from this year, skullf)ck, Fillmore east and manhattan centre shows?

I always thought it was a strat at these shows, but read somewhere Jerry was playing a les Paul with p90's which explains a few things. One of my all time favorite tones which should be easy to acquire.

Happy 2013

James-T
James-T
Skeleton
Skeleton

Re: Secret to the spring tour 1971 Jerry tone

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:54 pm

James-T wrote:Has anyone tried a les Paul with p90's to capture the spring tour sound from this year, skullf)ck, Fillmore east and manhattan centre shows?

I always thought it was a strat at these shows, but read somewhere Jerry was playing a les Paul with p90's which explains a few things. One of my all time favorite tones which should be easy to acquire.

Happy 2013

James-T

this tour has been researched thoroughly here and has been shown to actually be Rick Turners Peanut guitar. although it started life as a SG/Les Paul neck.

Milwaukee Mar 1971

Fillmore East Apr 1971

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:57 pm

short answer, the early parts of '71 were partly the Turner "Peanut" salvage creation with mid-60's SG humbuckers, and partly Guild S-100 with similar humbuckers. The circa 1959 or 60 Les Paul Special had P-90's and seems to have been played from May (5/29 Fillmore West footage) until July or August... although June 21 in France is where the Nash Strat seems to debut. Fall 71 is the strat.

Hello photographers, we need wayyyy more 1971 performance shots!!!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Smolder » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm

James-T wrote:Has anyone tried a les Paul with p90's to capture the spring tour sound from this year, skullf)ck, Fillmore east and manhattan centre shows?

Happy 2013

James-T

the les paul that you read about may have been the SG body style from the early sixties that they called a Les Paul... but I'm pretty sure would have had humbuckers (T-tops).
Smolder

Postby James-T » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:06 pm

http://paralleltunes.com/Paralleltunes. ... _Gear.html

Based on all the posts/ threads on this topic I suppose my question is slightly rhetorical. What I am really interested in is what pups might have resulted in that spring 71 country tone. Here is another good source of info on what guitar may have been used on Skullf(uck to get that iconic country tone on NFA>GTDRFB which I believe comes out of the Mahatten Centre lovelight.

Based on the photos (from the above garcia gear site) the Les Paul photo on the RUKIND forum may not be historically accurate.

What miff’s me is how this whole run of shows has such a consistent Garcia tone unlike any other period. If Garcia was switching between 2 custom axes – one being Guild like and the other being the alembic project plus the sunburst les paul how did he get such a consistent tone that is so different from the 60’s Gibson p90’s to the Gibosn humbucker SG tones (Live Dead) to the Valentine's day Fillmore run from the year before which I believe was I believe a single coil strat sound to the spring 71 sound – slightly overdriven, yet not too fat, not to twangy but totally country.

Perhaps since most sources point to the Alembic project guitar for most of this run it’s a stratoblaster boost or something similar applied to a pair of humbuckers. Did they have split coil humbuckers in early 1971?

You would think there would be plenty of photos from the spring filomore shows to verify at least the instrument.

cheers

James

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JNdQpFirzY WOD Birdsong from November Dual Sound split
James-T
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:03 pm

James-T wrote:You would think there would be plenty of photos from the spring filomore shows to verify at least the instrument.

this photo was passed to me from Amalie Rothschild the house photographer for Bill Grahams Fillmore East and is without a doubt historically accurate. while it is from a distance, knowing the guitar in the run up to these fillmore shows was indeed Turners Peanut. this photo shows that Turners Peanut was in fact used at The Fillmore East as well. You can locate Amalie in France and for a $50 fee she will locate you more photo's of the run. but this one is all that is really needed to see that Turners Peanut is what was used at The Fillmore East April 1971.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby James-T » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks Waldo!

What has always been a mystery on the skull and roses NFA ( which goes into love light after gdtrfb not out of it as I posted earlier) is that Garcia pulls of this amazing lick at 2:23 where he bends from the 2 to the 4 (b sharp) and then hits a high E, I used to think it was just a D when i first tried to cop this riff,on my sg, but it's not the 7, but a full octave above the high E so its a 9 meaning the neck he was playing on had to have 24 frets. It all makes sense now.

I was always sure it was either a sg or a strat he used to get that signature tone on skull and roses, but I know strats don't have 24 frets and I don't believe Gibson had a 24 fret les Paul back in the 60's.

Do you still think the peanut had a Les Paul neck? And did they build 24 fret necks back then?

Also do you think what we hear is the prototype of the stratoblaster?

Peace,

James
James-T
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby James-T » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:03 pm

I see why they called it the peanut. I'm guessing Rick Turner hand wound the pickups himself. I count 24 frets and a Gibson lp headstock.
James-T
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:59 am

Hey man check these guys out
Its a compilation vid of them doing the tunes from that era
Dude uses a Les Paul ....

Welcome aboard James
:-)

Ps At the 7.30 mark they do a bit of The Wheel .....
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Free Jazz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:02 pm

One of the humbucker Grail Tones of all time.
Just "ideal" in so many ways.

I never understood why he left it.
Free Jazz
tiger
tiger

Postby bzbz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:16 pm

you mean "single coil" yes?
bzbz
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby James-T » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:20 pm

Awesome Vid Tennessee! And thanks, it’s a great forum and nice to have some time to be on board.

Looks like P90's in a LP Junior and he’s getting it pretty band on to that country 71 sound. Likes like these guys put on a hell of a show. Who are the players?

So here's an interesting video link and dicussion on something that Turner might have tried on the peanut. Waldo feel free to speculate here.

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/pickup- ... nutes.html

If you go to Rick’s website it is apparent that he was experimenting with hand winding pick-ups for various bands around this time.

The video is a bit painful to watch but the surprise ending is great, considering the axe he demonstrates on.

The peanut has definitely got humbucker covers, yet a single coil sound. Jerry’s playing at those shows does not sound like a humbucker at least to my ears, more like a P90. Definitely a single coil feel as he switches between chords and single notes on a lot of the leads in NFA.

Peace
James
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjTXt4xujKo Dual Sound split back and forth for rythem and lead.
James-T
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:32 pm

James-T wrote:Awesome Vid Tennessee! And thanks, it’s a great forum and nice to have some time to be on board.

Looks like P90's in a LP Junior and he’s getting it pretty band on to that country 71 sound. Likes like these guys put on a hell of a show. Who are the players?

Peace
James
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjTXt4xujKo Dual Sound split back and forth for rythem and lead.

^^^ this you guys ? Sounds great ! ^^^^^

http://www.deadonlive.com/index.html
I think they are some killer players !
Great show .... they have about 5 Fender Deluxes on stage , too
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby James-T » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:50 pm

TJ,

Thanks!

These guys are going to give Furthur and DSO a run for their money. Their China Rider clip is outstanding, note for note from the album. Great vocals too. A real time capsule.

Here are some highlights of our debut show from this summer, still a little rough around the edges, but bringing some GD vibe to the local community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbx00nmB4Eo

I researched what JK was playing and heard it was a Carvin and found the DC160 locally through the internet the next day. Lucky score - they are pretty rare, and this one is more vintage than what JK used to play. Very cheap too. Hadn’t been played in 20 years.

We've focused on some gear upgrades, namely ditching my Rivera era Twin for a 73 silver face, best move yet.

Cheers,

James
James-T
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby Jerry1996x » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:56 pm

I was foolin around today, and found using the rounded edge of a pick helps to get this tone, less bright.
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Next

Return to Jerry Tone