Postby seniorpesca » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:36 pm

bam. he talks about the one old cab on this stream half time vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id6BtCRLvl0
seniorpesca
Pigpen
Pigpen

Re: Treys HT Style Languedoc Cab

Postby paulinnc » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:09 pm

Very interesting. There is a similar clip of Page going over his rig and gear floating around. Page's story about his keytar is pretty cool, it belonged to James Brown before Page got it. Trey's cabinet doesn't appear to be all that special, just some plywood. I think it is funny that he's got wall insulation in it.
paulinnc

Postby gr8fullfred » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:52 am

I recently saw the first night of the Phish 4 night nye run.(via web)
During this show,during a break they showed a video of Trey explaining his rig.
Talked about his guitar, amp signal processing ( uses several loops)
Really great Trey talking and demoing the parts of the system.
Part 1 of 2
In this vid Trey himself tells the story of him and his roommate building the cab.
100 % recommended please post links to the vids if u find them
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby waldo041 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:04 pm

seniorpesca wrote:bam. he talks about the one old cab on this stream half time vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id6BtCRLvl0

would have been really cool if jerry would have did a breakedown like this.

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Jerry1996x » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:45 pm

This is so cool. Agreed it would have been great if Jerry did this.
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Yankee Tim » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:18 am

Had Jerry stayed off the smack (or never tried to quit) and was still alive today, had he stayed alive long enuff to truly see the internet age come to fruition, he would have seen the constant interest in his rig and most likely wudda told us something.

But he didn't, and he's not here, and this will never be. :(
Yankee Tim
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Yankee Tim » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:22 am

But what we now know is, Trey plays thru Celestion G12- Classic Lead 80's.

Time to build another cab. Lol
Yankee Tim
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby gr8fullfred » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:59 am

Lets send Trey a pair of E120s!
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Lephty » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:13 pm

I was really struck by his comment that "being familiar with your gear is more important than having really good gear." Also struck by the fact that he's been using half of his gear since the 1980's. Guess you can get away with that if you have a guitar tech to keep things in good working order!
New member's area open at http://www.highcountryguitar.com
Ideal practice tools for improvisation
Lephty
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Trecia » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:44 pm

I saw this about the Classic Lead 80s on the Strange Design site too. I didn't get that from the video. I don't think we ever get a look at the part of the speaker that would say "Vintage 30" or Classic Lead 80." And I couldn't tell the cast color because it seemed too dim. Can anyone point to a time in the video where it's definitive? The two speakers look really similar except where the actual model label is. Would be really interesting to turn over this conventional thinking (v30s) about the rig. And what if there were to different speakers in there???

LOL and for what it's worth, when I was first falling for JBLs and I lived close to Merryweather I thought long and hard about bringing my 212 with a K120 and E120 to a Phish show and seeing if I could get someone to bring it back for a trial... but I wanted to see it again so... what could have been? I've been running JBLs and NeoMag in my mostly more Trey-like rig with great results.

Trecia
TC
TC

Postby Jerry1996x » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:11 pm

From the vid the letters look gold to me like the Vintage 30, but could trey really be using 30 watt speakers?
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Trecia » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:01 pm

V30's are 60 watts. Very conservatively rated. Supposedly it's an update of the old Alnico G12-H30 -- that's where they get the 30 from. They are advertised as 60w.
Trecia
TC
TC

Postby Trecia » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:18 pm

Also... I read Trey was even using a 15 or 30 watt Alnico Blues at some point; probably with the Deluxe. But watts aren't too important since they're all very efficient speakers, and I don't think he's pushing crazy stage volume anyway, or turning outputs up over like 4. I mean you could in theory blow a 15 watt blue in the deluxe or two 30 watt speakers with the Mesa but... meh.

I actually owned a Classic Lead at one point like 10 (15...?) years ago when I was too cheap to shell out for a V30, and I was left mostly uninspired. (and v30's we're a little harsh for my 1x12 application.) But if it turns out CL80s really have been in the homemade cabs all this time, I'd be glad to know that and I would certainly give them a second chance, given the opportunity.

I do find it a little hard to imagine all the people who took a quick peek at the cabs or "knew" and said very confidently "V30's" were wrong. I mean what are the odds of every roadie, tech, or fan poking around the rig was either clueless or forgetful enough to mix it up?
Trecia
TC
TC

Postby Jerry1996x » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:36 pm

Trecia wrote:V30's are 60 watts. Very conservatively rated. Supposedly it's an update of the old Alnico G12-H30 -- that's where they get the 30 from. They are advertised as 60w.

Aahh i see, thanks for clearing that up!
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby cmc64 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:58 am

I have a Mesa Mark IIA head that has the 60Watt/100Watt switch (drives either 2 or 4 of the 6L6's) so I have some options when it comes to different speakers and their respective wattage ratings. His is a Mark III Green Stripe which I do not know as much about but it has four switches on the front which are EQ In/Out, Power Off/On, Standby, and Full Power / 1/2 Power. Those amps are rated at 90 watts so he has option of running it at 45 watts - if it is a simul-class version it can be run in three power modes - 90/45/10. I think. So speaker wattage notwithstanding - he has quite a bit of flexibility. Mesa's are loud amps. Even at the 60Watt setting my IIA can blow the windows out. My 15 Watt Fender SuperChamp with a JBL K-110 is LOUD on 3. I can only imagine how loud the Mark III is on a lower wattage setting.

Regardless, he is right on about the importance of knowing your gear and what you can get out of it. That Languedoc -> Mesa MKIII -> Plywood/house insulation/Celestion cab rig has gobs of tone.

If I got my Mesa specs wrong please feel free to correct it - I don't like to be passing around incorrect info.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

PreviousNext

Return to Cabinets