Jerry direct to twin

Jerry direct to twin

Postby Winterland » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:42 pm

I was checking out this interview on Letterman from 87 and around 6:00 you can see
Jerry direct to a twin. I would guess they are JbL's but what year twin? Its cool to hear him
plug and play no effects etc... The energy from the fall 87 run was killer! Could it be that easy?
Winterland
Jester
Jester

Re: Jerry direct to twin

Postby Winterland » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Winterland
Jester
Jester

Postby mijknahs » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:13 am

mijknahs

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:29 am

It sure is that easy! Especially if you do the mods to the twin as per Waldo's web site. But even if you don't, ya get really close with the right pickups and the E120's in just about any twin.
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby mijknahs » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:23 am

mijknahs

Postby Smolder » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:38 am

so what is the amp that Bobby is plugged into? Is that a 2x10 jbl?
Smolder

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:46 am

mijknahs wrote:

Go to the 3.20 mark.

Jerry's " who's solo is it ? " look is funny !
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby mijknahs » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:51 am

Smolder wrote:so what is the amp that Bobby is plugged into? Is that a 2x10 jbl?

My guess was a Roland Jazz Chorus.
mijknahs

Postby keirweir » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:01 am

Winterland wrote:I was checking out this interview on Letterman from 87 and around 6:00 you can see
Jerry direct to a twin. I would guess they are JbL's but what year twin? Its cool to hear him
plug and play no effects etc... The energy from the fall 87 run was killer! Could it be that easy?

I guess in an indirect but direct sort of way he always went direct to Twin when the OBEL was off!
keirweir

Postby mijknahs » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:08 am

keirweir wrote:I guess in an indirect but direct sort of way he always went direct to Twin when the OBEL was off!

Absolutely! Direct to the Twin when OBEL is off.

I guess maybe the point of this thread (or the way I take it) is Jerry simply playing directly into a "stand alone" Twin Reverb combo (no power amp or speaker cab, etc.). Just guitar into amp (like back in 1966 or something).
mijknahs

Postby Mr.Burns » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:14 am

mijknahs wrote:
keirweir wrote:I guess in an indirect but direct sort of way he always went direct to Twin when the OBEL was off!

Absolutely! Direct to the Twin when OBEL is off.

I guess maybe the point of this thread (or the way I take it) is Jerry simply playing directly into a "stand alone" Twin Reverb combo (no power amp or speaker cab, etc.). Just guitar into amp (like back in 1966 or something).

I think we can probably assume it's not even his amp, house amp or rental, so it's a stock twin?
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby mijknahs » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:22 am

Mr.Burns wrote:I think we can probably assume it's not even his amp, house amp or rental, so it's a stock twin?

I agree. House amp or rental.
mijknahs

Postby tigerstrat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:11 am

I'm more inclined to believe that both the Twin Reverbs in both the Letterman and Peace Walk appearances were Dead-owned Healyized units, kept around for quick set-up-and-tear-down situations ... one of these could very well be the one that Simon B. owned for awhile.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Mr.Burns » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:01 pm

We can only speculate, but I'd like to know what would have been the deciding factor, like "do we ship one of our Twins to New York, or would it be cheaper to rent one?" C'mon man, we're talking about playing a grand total of 15 minutes, does tone dictate that we must spend every available resource? Obviously the entire rig was too big and loud for a soundstage, it was designed to be used onstage with the Grateful Dead. It stands to reason that if they shipped one of their own, someone must have been along to schlep it, right? For a spot on Letterman? Or would Jer have schlepped his own amp? I mean the guy was in his mid forties and at that point very successful, and a twin loaded with JBLs is VERY HEAVY, as some of you can probably attest. The risk of injuring himself and jeopardizing future commitments would have been too great for that, I think.

Something I noticed about the Golden Gate Park video was the first few seconds show Jerry tweaking some amp knobs. Wouldn't a Dead-owned Twin already be set for Jerry? Seems like that close to home he would have Dead-owned equipment on hand, but wouldn't it just be easier to play thru a Twin that was already on the stage? Backline companies always have a spare Twin on hand for guests or backup. It is THE industry standard working amplifier, after all.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby Smolder » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Mr.Burns wrote:We can only speculate, but I'd like to know what would have been the deciding factor, like "do we ship one of our Twins to New York, or would it be cheaper to rent one?" C'mon man, we're talking about playing a grand total of 15 minutes, does tone dictate that we must spend every available resource? Obviously the entire rig was too big and loud for a soundstage, it was designed to be used onstage with the Grateful Dead. It stands to reason that if they shipped one of their own, someone must have been along to schlep it, right? For a spot on Letterman? Or would Jer have schlepped his own amp? I mean the guy was in his mid forties and at that point very successful, and a twin loaded with JBLs is VERY HEAVY, as some of you can probably attest. The risk of injuring himself and jeopardizing future commitments would have been too great for that, I think.

Something I noticed about the Golden Gate Park video was the first few seconds show Jerry tweaking some amp knobs. Wouldn't a Dead-owned Twin already be set for Jerry? Seems like that close to home he would have Dead-owned equipment on hand, but wouldn't it just be easier to play thru a Twin that was already on the stage? Backline companies always have a spare Twin on hand for guests or backup. It is THE industry standard working amplifier, after all.

They were in NYC for dates at madison square garden... pulling the back up twin/roland's off of the truck and cabbing them over isn't a stretch.
Smolder

Return to Jerry Tone