"72 Tone

Re: "72 Tone

Postby wleeds » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:05 pm

i know its an old thread.

I just put Vintage Vibe pickups in a strat.
Have to say, these are the best single coils I've used, so far.
They are what I expected original strat pickups to sound like. They aren't overly
pronouced in any frequency. Excellent balance across the whole spectrum and between each pickup.
Craftsmanship is as good as it gets. And, extremely quiet for SC's though I'm sure the shielding in this guitar takes care of that.

I had the 57/62's in this guitar. Great pickups though I found them to be more pronounced in the lower mids. These things are more responsive to your touch.

Pete is awesome to deal with. He answered all of my questions over a number of emails. Shipping was quick as well. Took about a week from Hawaii to Toronto.
wleeds
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby claytushaywood » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:50 am

i'm gonna have to take credit on bringing d allen's 69's to this forum... man they really took off in popularity here! ha! :cool:
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Postby BucketRider » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:48 pm

Which pick ups did you get? There r many listed on the website
BucketRider
welcome
welcome

Postby mijknahs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:45 pm

Sounds like the only difference between the DAllen Voodoo Blues and the Voodoo 69's is that the Voodoo Blues has a hotter/fatter bridge pickup (7.58k vs. 6.2k). The Voodoo 69's are probably more balanced but the Blues can get a hotter "lead" tone from the bridge if that's what you're going after. I think I'd personally go with the 69's.
mijknahs

Postby jeager » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:34 pm

I have not heard tried the DAllens but I noticed mention of the Lollars. I have tried three varieties of Lollars and am very impressed with the tones and with the service. I had a set of his blonds in my strat for a while and thought the tone was pretty amazing but not quite what I was looking for, he took them back and I got an Imperial for the bridge position and a special for the neck...stuck a Super II in the middle for the purist thing. I gotta say while Jerry may have not used the neck pup too much i find myself flipping that sucker on frequently during solos and just loving what it does, its sort of wild sounding and I can get great feedback sustain from it when I want too... The imperial in the bridge is really nice too for anything Jerry might have used the bridge pup for (china cat solo, whatever) these things really seem to add another dimension... With the right amp and settings I bet you could get some great 70s type tones from a lollar strat pup in the middle.
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby wleeds » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:34 am

can someone post clips of their D-Allen pickups?
wleeds
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby NSP » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:06 am

wleeds wrote:can someone post clips of their D-Allen pickups?

Here's a live clip. My guitar comes through a bit louder than the other guitarist, so you can hear the DAllen's pretty good.

Rig: PRS w/DAllen Voodoo 69 H/S/S (this clip is middle single coil) --> SMS --> Mc250 --> 2x K120.

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=new%20speedway%20players
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby cmc64 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:34 am

NSP wrote:
wleeds wrote:can someone post clips of their D-Allen pickups?

Here's a live clip. My guitar comes through a bit louder than the other guitarist, so you can hear the DAllen's pretty good.

Rig: PRS w/DAllen Voodoo 69 H/S/S (this clip is middle single coil) --> SMS --> Mc250 --> 2x K120.

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=new%20speedway%20players

Sound great!. Very nice playing and the tone is tip-top. You have all the goodies needed (SMS, Mc250 and the K-120) and with those pickups the overall sound is very well presented. Obviously not quite the same as the Dimarzio's, but the sound is very Jerry and it is clear that depending on what Jerry tone you are going after the D Allen's can deliver. I have a Strat-O-Blaster and a lonely, (mostly) unused Strat sitting around - I have to get a set of these into it one of these days. I have been dying to hear what these actually sound like and I am most impressed. If you have a chance (and it is not too much of a pain in the ass), would you be able to post clips of the neck and the bridge pickups as well? I spend most of my time on the middle pickup (as I am sure many of us around here do) but I would love to hear the other two. Do you have the bridge set-up for coil splitting. If so, did you go with series/single, parallel/single, or series/parallel/single? Finally, are you using a buffer?

Thanks again for the post and my apologies for so many questions but I am very curious. I have been debating on pulling the trigger on these for a while now and that clip won me over!
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone