Shakedown Amp = Updated

Re: Shakedown Amp =Tasty tone

Postby oldsmojo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:28 pm

Hey all, Hope summer is off to a good start and all that. Thanks so much for the nice plug Vince It was my pleasure to meet you and play that darn wolf gitar!! It really got me to see for sure that a well made and finished guitar is the way to go if you really want that extra magic going on. I have always been a big believer in good tone-woods and finish but kinda thought that when dealing with a hardwood sandwich type guitar that you wouldnt hear the woods and finish as much. Since we are some of the few guitar players that are into super clean tones and hi fidelity speakers in our rigs we have the ability to hear all kinds of other nuances that others don't. It can be a blessing if all the parts involved in the rig are done right and kind of a 'curse' if something is off and you end up with really piercing highs or a non desireable midrange or breakup from the wrong place. The guitar is obviously the first place to start. The nuances of wood tones from that Moriarty were like the other Moriarty wolf I played in Chicago. The Phigas, Ressurections and others I have played were super nice looking and sounded/played so good but the mids were not the same. I'm guessing its the finish..non poly finish most likely. I never liked the sound of polyurethane guitars as they dont breathe notes the same as nitro. I dont even know if any of these guys are spraying Nitro lacquer? Also i am a fan of high action to get the notes to jump out and so many of the Jerry guitars I have tried were too low. There shouldnt be any restriction from the frets when you strike notes/chords hard! That guitar sounded great and not too bright through my amps!
Anyways, I havent spoken much about these amps in a while for a few reasons. I need to get things together still so things are more streamlined. I just finished screening the faceplates today so Its a huge step forward as I can obtain most of the parts I use for them from my suppliers and build the cabs myself. Now I can start working on soundclips and website soon. I never really intended to do many twins as I know theres so many other options out there! Theres something about having a combo tho and people seem to love a great sounding Twin Reverb and my modified twins are getting good reviews. So basically, I dont to end up with a waiting list for amps and make people wait a year or so. I do Dumble style amps as well ( Blues Stinger I call it and thats what Vince heard the other day) These take a while to build and like my Twins they utilize mostly vintage parts that I arrange in certain places in the amp for the tone I like per my taste. I run a slightly chilled out power section ( usually half of stock values) so you can pick the guitar more and not have so much coming out..especially bass. This makes the twins less scary too play :) I use NOS Allen Bradley carbon comps in certain places and Metal films of difft brands in others. Caps range from Sprague 6ps Orange Drops ( same caps Dumble used In his masterful creations of the 70's and 80's, Original Fender caps and other oddballs. My Dumble style amps are based on the 70's and early 80's Overdrive Specials only they have that Fender vibe that most Fender guys dislike about the Dumbles and clones out there. The cleans are very similar to the Blackface Super Reverb and Twins. The Jerry tones out of my 50 watt are awesome!! Similar to an early Boogie. You can dial in as much smooth overdrive as you like and set up the lead tone on the lead footswitch. Nails Kimock (he has one very similar to mine) SRV , Santana, Larry Carlton, Jerry, David Lindley, Robben Ford etc. Only the cleans can be dialed cleaner and sound more like a real Fender. Anyways, If any of you are interested in checking them out I will be putting new clips up soon and probably host a little Tone Fest in NYC sometime down the road where I will invite some friends who build amps/pedals. Theres so many talented builders out there so if you happen to be in the market for an amp /guitar or even pedals don't just settle for a one trick pony. Do your research and listen to as many as you can! Happy tone searching! ~Joe
oldsmojo
Donna
Donna

Postby oldsmojo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:58 pm

http://www.darkstarpalace.com/
Don't tell me this tone ain't got no heart...you just gotta poke around.images/icons/smile/mrgreen.gif
oldsmojo
Donna
Donna

Postby hawk900 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:35 pm

Is this the beauty everyones talkin about????????

Image.
and Yes who sells these please pm. Thanks.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Shakedown Amp = Updated

Postby keirweir » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:09 am

Hello everyone. First of all... I wish everyone the happiest of holiday seasons and hope you all get to spend quality time with family and loved ones.

I wanted to post a clip of my most recent tone with my Shakedown amp. This particular night we were debuting a new group called Fat Man's Funk which will focus on Legion of Mary material. However, the Sax player had to bail on the date, we didn't rehearse so we threw together some Legion and lot of random Jerry stuff. Morning Dew is a tune I have always loved but never really played live with a band. It was a large room so I had my 2x12 loaded with Beyma's (this cab was mic'd) and a 1x12 with a K-120 at ear level for stage.

Good tone sample tune though. Quiet parts, loud parts. For this one I’m running no effects with just reverb on the clean side and just a SD-1 for distortion.

Pretty cool though, I have been toying with the setting a lot and I’m at a point her where I can get some grit on the clean setting if I go at it just right.

Right around 7:00 is where the clean tone example starts.

http://archive.org/download/FMF2012-12- ... ng_Dew.mp3
keirweir

Re: Shakedown Amp = Updated

Postby lunasparks » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:33 am

yes, um, yeah...that sounds quite sick! :cool:
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Great jams, great tone, cheers!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby keirweir » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks guys... Also, given this is a new project focusing on Legion stuff...

Feel Like Dynamite

http://archive.org/download/FMF2012-12- ... namite.mp3
keirweir

Postby strumminsix » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:42 am

keirweir wrote:Thanks guys... Also, given this is a new project focusing on Legion stuff...

Feel Like Dynamite

When I saw the song title I had to listen. Major compliments to your tone but more importantly, your note phrasing was fantastic!! BRAVO!!
strumminsix

Postby rugger » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:45 am

You know, a lot of guys cop the sound and the style, and you do this very well, but often they open their mouths to sing...and it's nails on a chalkboard. You, my friend, sing well. That as much as anything deserves my admiration. Kudos.

john in san diego
rugger
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby TRG » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:51 pm

keirweir wrote:Thanks guys... Also, given this is a new project focusing on Legion stuff...

Feel Like Dynamite

Man, that sounds great...tone is spot on!
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby keirweir » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:05 pm

TRG wrote:

Feel Like Dynamite

Man, that sounds great...tone is spot on!

Thanks TRG! Appreciate it guys... I still love this Dew tone!
Right around 7:00 is where the clean tone example starts.

http://archive.org/download/FMF2012-12- ... ng_Dew.mp3
keirweir

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:37 pm

I actually listened to most of this show yesterday, all good stuff.

Keir, are you using a Mutron Octave Divider? Can't remember exactly where I was hearing it, but it didn't sound like stuff you can achieve with a Boss.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby jenkins » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:24 pm

Damn these amps are sounding awesome huh? One thing I'm unclear on is are these rebuilt fenders or completely brand new amps? Either way these amps are straight fire and I would agree Shakedown amps=tasty tone.
This guy clearly understands what's going on under the hood and knows how to make an amp that sings.
Where are these shakedown amps made? Are they made on the east coast? What's the price range on these things? Am I missing that somewhere?
At any rate Great amp and a GREAT idea joe has, perfectly modded fender right out the box. I want one.
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby paulinnc » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:57 pm

I was wondering also if there is a website for Shakedown Amps or if Joe has his own site. Anyone??
paulinnc

Postby mkaufman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:15 am

THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone