Tuning 77

Tuning 77

Postby WildEye » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:33 pm

Came across this, thought it might be enjoyed... If not here (hear) then where?

A full year of the Grateful Dead tuning up...

http://archive.org/details/gd1977-12-31_505
WildEye
Mickey
Mickey

Re: Tuning 77

Postby waldo041 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:54 pm

thanks for sharing!!! :thewave:

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Grant » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Haha

Some people have too much time on their hands.
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby WildEye » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:21 pm

or they just have two hands for their time...I joke, but really it was put together well, there was thoughtful yet honest editing put in. I don't know who did it but I give them props.
WildEye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby RiverRat » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:38 am

It's better than listening to a minute of DubStep!
RiverRat

Postby gr8fulbluz » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:39 am

WildEye wrote:... If not here (hear) then where?

. . .

Indeed where. I cannot wait to have a listen. {{{once upon a time, I had a similar Idea with dark star intros, outros, reprise, and jam, you get the idea.}}}

"Tuning '77" - a seamless audio supercut of an entire year of the Grateful Dead tuning their instruments, live on stage. Chronologically sequenced, this remix incorporates every publicly available recording from 1977, examining the divide between audience expectation and performance anxiety.
<<-----------------wonderful. THX.
gr8fulbluz

Postby Grant » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:30 pm

RiverRat wrote:It's better than listening to a minute of DubStep!

This is true.

I've read some of Noah's posts on the GDLG where he talks about his love for the air between songs on some Dead AUDs and how it's those moments that often really transport you back in time (I'm paraphrasing). It definitely resonates with me. There aren't many groups whose recordings can be valuable even when they're not playing music.
Last edited by Grant on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Grant » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:38 pm

Here's an example:

"After Bird Song we are fully in the zone of a Grateful Dead show. The crowd idly hoots and hollers, while the band lazily puts together the building blocks of the next song. Cumberland Blues is coming as clear as day. This minute or so between songs finds me transfixed every time I listen. Something comes off of the tape which defies my own explanation. I don’t expect you to find it with me – it seems impossible to say, “listen to this amazing space between Bird Song and Cumberland,” so I won’t go out on that limb. In trying to give it a more tangible perspective, I think it’s simply more evidence of how this particular recording breathes with the strongest representation of a Dead Show’s energy, both within and in between the music. Again, the entire tape is like one enormous heartbeat in the pulse of 1973 Dead." - Noah Weiner

http://www.deadlistening.com/2009/08/19 ... eatre.html
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:08 pm

Grant wrote:Here's an example:

"After Bird Song we are fully in the zone of a Grateful Dead show. The crowd idly hoots and hollers, while the band lazily puts together the building blocks of the next song. Cumberland Blues is coming as clear as day. This minute or so between songs finds me transfixed every time I listen. Something comes off of the tape which defies my own explanation. I don’t expect you to find it with me – it seems impossible to say, “listen to this amazing space between Bird Song and Cumberland,” so I won’t go out on that limb. In trying to give it a more tangible perspective, I think it’s simply more evidence of how this particular recording breathes with the strongest representation of a Dead Show’s energy, both within and in between the music. Again, the entire tape is like one enormous heartbeat in the pulse of 1973 Dead." - Noah Weiner

http://www.deadlistening.com/2009/08/19 ... eatre.html

I could not agree more, and wish I had said this. I can totally relate to “listen to this amazing space between Bird Song and Cumberland,”!! During the tune-ups, every little sound seemed to become the mixing of pigments on the hallowed palettes of Van Gogh or Monet (or Dali or Picasso) gloriously building up to actually touching the brush to canvas by playing a song. Funny side note: a few years back I visited the house of a high school chum whom I hadn't seen in about 10 years... his neighbor across the street is Noah! Noah came over and hung out with us for awhile, very cool guy! Neat to put a face with a Deadnet handle and a such a major benefactor of the GD listening community.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Return to Tapers Section