Rob Eaton's Ibanez 2681

Rob Eaton's Ibanez 2681

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Hope this works, never posted pics in this forum. He just posted this pic on facebook and was quoted as saying, "It's a 1976 Ibanez 2681 that I gutted and modded .. Active EQ and the lower switch turns that on and off. Top 3 are off, tap, full for the humbuckers middle one is on off for the single coil . Master Volume, master Tone and Master active EQ potsImage
like waves against the bandstand dancers broke
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Re: Rob Eaton's Ibanez 2681

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:00 pm

crap, didn't work, trying again.Image
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Postby mkaufman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Looks to me like he swapped out the Ibanez Super 80 pickups and installed Dimarzio's, just like the Cowboy. I know he was asking on the Ibanez board for info on the Ibanez EQ/Pre-amp.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:07 pm

That's what I replied to him of facebook! Cowboy up! haven't heard back, heard a rumor he was an engineer for pat metheny awhile ago. DSO had to do some jerry band shows because he was working with metheny a couple years back, as I recall. could all be rumor, though, i have no idea about this guy, just know that he is a bad ass bobby!
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Postby mkaufman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:31 am

He has a very impressive Bio, including his work with Metheny.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby tcsned » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:44 am

mkaufman wrote:He has a very impressive Bio, including his work with Metheny.

mk

My Buddy who was an engineer at the Power Station in NYC said that he was well known in that world too.
tcsned

Postby Mr.Burns » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:20 am

He taped quite a few shows back in the day as well. IMHO he does Bob's knee-lift perfectly, and very well timed. It always makes me smile.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby racecar » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:53 am

He is a fabulous player. I have total respect for his musicianship. I learn something everytime I am up close watching him play. I dare say he is a better player than Bobby. Bobby invented "it", but Rob improved "it"
racecar
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby strumminsix » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:23 am

racecar wrote:He is a fabulous player. I have total respect for his musicianship. I learn something everytime I am up close watching him play. I dare say he is a better player than Bobby. Bobby invented "it", but Rob improved "it"

Hmmm, that's an interesting perspective. My ears see what you saying. But to my ears, Bobby was always experimenting, figuring what works and why or why not. Where Rob already has that roadmap (from Bobby) so he can play with a level of confidence vs Bobby's level of experimentation.
strumminsix

Postby jester536 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:34 am

Hmmm, that's an interesting perspective. My ears see what you saying. But to my ears, Bobby was always experimenting, figuring what works and why or why not. Where Rob already has that roadmap (from Bobby) so he can play with a level of confidence vs Bobby's level of experimentation.

That may be the best description of why the guy who does it first is the better player...very well said Strum.
If the thunder don't getcha then the lightning will!
http://www.reverbnation.com/unchartedwaters
jester536
Bear
Bear

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:04 pm

jester536 wrote:

That may be the best description of why the guy who does it first is the better player...very well said Strum.

+1
I was just gonna say " B.S.! " to the rob is better than bob thing ..... but Strum nailed it - and without cursing !
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby strumminsix » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:33 pm

Lol thanks!
strumminsix

Postby racecar » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:12 pm

jester536 wrote:

I don't disagree with this statement. The old is it "live" or is it "memorex" debate.

But today, in my opinion, I believe Rob is playing with more complexity. I see Furthur and I go and see DSO. While I much prefer Furthur, I feel Rob has taken what Bobby has done and expanded on it to some extent, he plays like a younger Bobby in my opinion. I believe he is a student of the original, and in todays day, he is playing better. Anyone spending time watching Rob, can attest that he is absolutely excelling in his role with DSO, I might not like the mannerisms as much, but his playing has been top notch and to me and I think he has played better than Bobby at times.

And I don't subscribe to the "Guy who did it first, is better" logic. So what you are saying is the guy who wrote the song, came up with the lick is always the best at playing it? That doesn't make much sense. As an originality, there is no question . The original is always preferred to the copy. That is not what I was getting at.

I absolutely believe Bobby is the better musician between the two. I am simply saying that I believe Rob is playing better guitar at the moment. My opinion..Which doesn't get you a cup of coffee at starbucks or dunkin donuts. No cursing necessary ;)
racecar
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Return to Bobby Tone