The Wolf

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: The Wolf

Postby paulinnc » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:38 pm

Thanks Brian, that is very helpful. I have some plywood laying around that I will put under the clamps on the next one. I definitely noticed some gaps that I had to re- glue, especially on the ends. The next board I glue up I am going to tack the corners with brad nails and use the wood under the clamps.
paulinnc

Postby milobender » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:08 am

And you were right about using more glue... you should get a visable amount of glue squeezing from each section/joint. Doing that many layers at once should make a pretty big mess :-)
I just do one layer at a time...
Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby paulinnc » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 am

milobender wrote:And you were right about using more glue... you should get a visable amount of glue squeezing from each section/joint. Doing that many layers at once should make a pretty big mess :-)
I just do one layer at a time...

The next time I glue, I am going to do the thin layers first, let them set up for an hour then glue them to the maple, let it set for an hour then glue the purpleheart.
paulinnc

Postby Jimaroe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:51 am

Howdy fellers,
Wolf has always been my favorite, too. I've been on a search for pics of Jer and the Wolf pre sticker and pre wolf inlay days (May 73ish). To me, that guitar in it's originaly form, is the most beautiful instrument with the Peacock inlay, fret board and beauty of the neck thru... I've seen a few photos (Waldo's site, and one or two others that I believe were taken of a show in Wisconsin in 73, but I could be wrong, the photographer's name escapes me). Anyways, I'm wondering if there are any other photos out there, that any of you all are aware of? Also, upon Wolf's return for the Hampton shows, I believe the p/u covers were white, correct? Thanks in advance for any insight-

Jim
Jimaroe
Jester
Jester

Postby paulinnc » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:03 pm

I can see why you do one layer at a time. The thin layers began to cup from the moisture of the glue which made trying to press them down and get the clamps in place kind of tricky.
paulinnc

Postby milobender » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:42 pm

paulinnc wrote:I can see why you do one layer at a time. The thin layers began to cup from the moisture of the glue which made trying to press them down and get the clamps in place kind of tricky.

Definately, especially if you don't have wide enough veneer to do one piece... right now I'm using some King Wood veneer, that is only 5" wide, so I need 3 pieces for each layer... man is it hard to get 3 lined up and pressed, 2 is bad enough; and 1 is pretty easy... but much more expensive, and unavailable for many, if not most, types of wood.

Here's a pic of my 'Dr. Suess inspired press' :D I found pieces of a Shop Mate at the dump, and used this bit of table saw to make it with :smile: :smile: :smile:

Everything we know is wrong...
www.9mileskid.com
milobender
One More Saturday Night
One More Saturday Night

Postby paulinnc » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:26 am

Very clever with the home made press. I got the veneers glued but there are some gaps at the edges, it seemed that no matter how many clamps and cauls I used there were still some gaps. Oh well, wood can be like that sometimes. Next I will be trimming the top and bottom pieces and the PH core. Gluing those won't be as tricky, I don't think since the thin woods are glued down already.
paulinnc

Postby paulinnc » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Here are some more pics. The sides are glued, planed and out of the clamps.

There are a few gaps on some of the edges but I don't think it will be a big deal, i can fill them in when the time comes. Now keep in mind this is the first guitar/major wood working project I have ever attempted on my own. The reason I have taken so long to start this was because I was working with a cabinet maker learning how to use tools and basic woodworking techniques.
paulinnc

Postby paulinnc » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:10 am

I did some mocking up with what I have so far just to see what things would look like eventually. I am glad I did because I found out that my template needs some reworking. Here are some pics of where the project is.

A friend of mine is going to help me with drawing up an official layout plan with his CAD program. That is what is on deck next for this along with obtaining more parts, making a body template and fooling around with tools and scrap woods.
paulinnc

Postby hippieguy1954 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:32 am

Sure is comming along! Very cool! :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby paulinnc » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:06 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:Sure is comming along! Very cool! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Thanks.
paulinnc

Postby paulinnc » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:48 pm

I got the plans for the guitar today. Will be doing more work in the next few months.
paulinnc

Postby eric » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:45 am

Hey Paul, did you provide a template to Doug @ SM or cut your own headstock?
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby paulinnc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:01 am

I sent him a picture of the tiger headstock. I tried to find one that was as close to full size as possible and that was straight on. I ended up showing him a picture of the Tiger headstock, essentially I told him to make something similar to a LP headstock but instead of the "book fold" he rounded it out.
paulinnc

Postby paulinnc » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:28 am

Reality has set in and I have contacted a local luthier about completing my Wolf project. With all the materials I have acquired it should run between 5-800$ which is less than I thought it would cost.
paulinnc

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion