Treys HT Style Languedoc Cab

Treys HT Style Languedoc Cab

Postby spacefunkologist » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:27 pm

Anybody know what the deal is with this old cab he uses? I know its HT looking in terms of dimension and style but does anybody know anything about its construction. Hard to tell in the pics if its jointed like an HT or just crude butt joints with screws????

spacefunkologist
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: Treys HT Style Languedoc Cab

Postby tcsned » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:06 pm

Kinda looks like a Bag End.
tcsned

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Trey has used these since at least 1991, the first time i saw Phish. They look significantly taller than HT cabs.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby spacefunkologist » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:33 pm

They look bigger than HTs for sure. I almost remember reading somewhere they the speakers are isolated within the enclosure as well but not too sure about that. You can also see a line of screws down the side which I can only assume are securing the baffle board in place. These things have been around the block for sure but still going strong.
spacefunkologist
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby cmc64 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:07 pm

From what I recall he built them himself way back when.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:43 pm

cmc64 wrote:From what I recall he built them himself way back when.

I've heard that and that he found them.
strumminsix

Postby eric » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:40 pm

I remember reading somewhere that yes , he built that cab , and he's well aware that it's a piece . It's the mojo factor
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby spacefunkologist » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:49 pm

Anybody with any woodworking background know what its made of? Looks to be cabinet grade pine to me but Im no expert....Ive heard that he build a cab at one point early one but the one pictured above (which he has two of) was likely build by Languedoc in the early 90s. I agree, it looks like a POS but its got the MOJO for sure!
spacefunkologist
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:03 am

spacefunkologist wrote:Anybody with any woodworking background know what its made of? Looks to be cabinet grade pine to me but Im no expert....Ive heard that he build a cab at one point early one but the one pictured above (which he has two of) was likely build by Languedoc in the early 90s. I agree, it looks like a POS but its got the MOJO for sure!

the sides look like plywood, hard to say about the baffle
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby rugger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:07 am

I think I see some dado joints.

john in san diego
rugger
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby blueswah » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:38 pm

spacefunkologist wrote:Anybody with any woodworking background know what its made of?

Looks like plywood including the baffle. Nothing special about the plywood. It's not even a cabinet grade, almost looks like AC.

The baffle is screwed in through the sides. (you can see the screws)
Download the pic and zoom in and you'll see.
From that it may be fair to guess the whole thing is screwed together.

Interestingly the speakers look to be rear mounted.
blueswah
welcome
welcome

Postby modz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:40 pm

Looks like your average Pine plywood, maybe 5 ply at that. You can see a big void in the laminate in front. I thought Paul L. built it but not sure.
The top is setting on the sides not in between the sides. It also looks like the speakers are countersunk or maybe another piece of ply was cut out and glued to the front??? We have request for measurements sent:) Definitely taller and maybe a little wider. The speakers are closer to the top and bottom. If we get the dimensions and rear pics I will post them. You can guess the measurements and get really close with the H and W.
Tracy Lowe from Festus, MO
http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby jackevorkian » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:55 am

It looks like the speakers are front loaded using 4 washer head screws instead of the HT style clips. Since the speakers are recessed, maybe there's a cleat or something on the inside of the baffle?
jackevorkian
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby zoooombiex » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Since we know they are 12" speakers, I would think you could get pretty close measurements with a little trig calculations just based off the pictures. But yeah, it'd be nice if we could get an official response.

I wonder if the speakers are recessed to make the front of the speaker cover even with the outside of the wood baffle? Though I would think that would only be useful/important if you had a flat cover going over the whole front, and I don't see any mounting/magnets for a cover.
zoooombiex
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Yankee Tim » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:37 pm

What speakers are those? As for the grilles, they look exactly like the Peavey grilles I have on a 4x12 cab I built in High School, in 1984. I mean, exact right down to the rubber gasket on the rim of the grille. They came with 4 clips to hold the grille on, but it looks like Trey didn't use them.

Is it possible that the recess is so the grilles don't stick out, increasing the chance of damage? Or maybe they help with the intense overdriven feedback tone of Theme From 2001? :D
Yankee Tim
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Next

Return to Cabinets