Super II coil split.

Super II coil split.

Postby chipperj » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:24 am

Hi all,

I'm brand new here, so be gentle... I'm building a Jerry caster, and I've heard about putting the middle PU in upside-down.
My question is: which side of the pickup (north or south) is on when split? Has anyone had any results with flipping it?

Thanks!
chipperj
tiger
tiger

Re: Super II coil split.

Postby WildEye » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:09 pm

If I am wrong here someone please correct me, but I believe it doesn't matter which direction you put it in... That is if it's the only pick-up on your guitar, once you want to start using it with other pick-ups then it does matter (will it be in or out of phase with your other pick-ups).

I'm no expert, and I feel a bit bad about giving a reply I'm not an expert in, but I'm posting for myself as well to find out if I'm misguided. You can be gentle or not (I deserve it either way:)
WildEye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby TRG » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:25 am

I don't have any experience with flipping it, but I know that it's the North coil (neck side) that you want to be on when split.
TRG
Mickey
Mickey

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:28 am

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby chipperj » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:51 pm

Thanks all,

I'm not sure I have a definitive answer. Waldo mentioned that Gary Brawer might have flipped it, and then rewired it so it would be back in phase. I'm guessing to make it brighter? I was just wondering if any you had tried this?

Thanks, I'm going to start soldering tonight.
chipperj
tiger
tiger

Postby waldo041 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:17 pm

hum-cancelling is the reason why Brawer stated he flipped and rewired the middle humbucker.

a humbucker, what he actually created, is essentially 2 single coil pickups. except one is reverse wound from the other as well as opposite magnetic polarity.

as stated, jerry used the north coil(closest to the neck) when in single coil. so by flipping the middle humbucker and rewiring it for use of the south coil(as the one closest to the neck) when in the inbetween positions of 2 and 4 on the 5 way selector, he had a humcancelling single coils or in another word a humbucker.

however, rosebud as it lies now does NOT have the middle humbucker flipped so it is not wired like that today. but Gary did state he wired it like that at one time.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby mkaufman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Waldo - if I understand you correctly, flipping the middle pup and using the south coil (which was now closer to the neck), would result in increased hum cancellation in position '2' (neck & middle) because the pickups were now closer together. However, wouldn't that create the opposite effect for position '4' because the south coil was now farther away from the bridge pickup? Or, did JG never use position 4 so it didn't matter?

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby waldo041 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Whether it is south or north coil jerry preferred the single coil closest to the neck active when in single coil. While the closer the single coils are together the louder they will be when used together is true and in play for sure. Knowing he used the coils closest to the neck and with rosebud having all humbuckers we know the distances are equal. So the volume should be the same in positions 2 and 4. The use of the north coil with the south coil creates a hum cancelling effect that a north coil and north coil do not have. Think vintage strat with ALL north coils and todays modern strat with a middle pickup reverse wound and opposite polarity magnet. That is what is happening.

~waldo
Last edited by waldo041 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby mkaufman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:28 pm

Yes, using all single coils closer to the neck would make them equidistant. I didn't realize that's what he used.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby chipperj » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:17 pm

There. That did it. Thank you Waldo!
chipperj
tiger
tiger

Postby chipperj » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:12 pm

Just thought I'd tell ya all that the guitar is done, and sounds amazing! I'm grateful to all, thanks so much! :thewave:

(I'd post a pic, but it wont let me. sorry)
chipperj
tiger
tiger

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:26 pm

chipperj wrote:Just thought I'd tell ya all that the guitar is done, and sounds amazing! I'm grateful to all, thanks so much! :thewave:

(I'd post a pic, but it wont let me. sorry)

viewtopic.php?f=359&t=12940
Tennessee Jedi

Return to Jerry Tone