Guitar case suggestions

Guitar case suggestions

Postby gr8fl4295 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:48 pm

Hello all,
I'm nearly complete with a Tiger guitar, so it needs a case. What is everyone using?
Once in a while you get shown the light
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.
gr8fl4295
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: Guitar case suggestions

Postby guitarcats » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:53 pm

pics or all you made was a ham sandwich :-)
guitarcats
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby gr8fl4295 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:39 pm

60 views and only 1 response that provided no help.
C'mon. Anyone?
gr8fl4295
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby playingdead » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:51 pm

Are you going to go out and gig with it? This is what I use:

Reunion Blues Continental case. The guitar is secured with a velcro strap around the neck and encased in a heavily padded case with an exoskeleton and a tough fabric outer layer. It does not get dirty, does not scratch or scuff the car, is easy to get in with all the gear without worrying about getting crushed or damaging anything else, it's light, it's easy to fly with, and they have videos showing Les Pauls and Strats in the case being thrown off a three story building and emerging undamaged.

If you get a nice hardshell case and start moving it around, it's going to get scuffed and damaged and beat up. This case takes a beating, still looks brand new after numerous flights from Austin to Boston and countless gigs, and I never worry that the guitar is going to be damaged.
playingdead

Postby waldo041 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:36 pm

"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:14 am

The Moriarty I have has that Ameritage case that Waldo linked to. It's a heavy, very strong case. I have a similar case for my Tiger.

But ... do you want a good strong attractive case for the living room or are you going to be taking the guitar out?

I say that because after two or three gigs my nice blond case for the Tiger was starting to get scuffed and look pretty bad.

Now, that's just cosmetics. But I'm more concerned with protection.

I shipped a $6000 acoustic in one of those top-of-the-line Ameritage cases (same as in the link). FedEx managed to put an 8-inch crack in the side of it by probably dropping the box a few feet onto concrete. No damage to the box, no damage to the case, the guitar absorbed the impact and cracked.

I'm pretty convinced that the softer padded case would have protected the guitar. Check that second video where the Strat falls three stories and bounces off the headstock and emerges unscathed. If they had done that in a hardshell case, no matter how heavy and strong, it's going to break the guitar.

playingdead

Postby gr8fl4295 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:34 am

Thanks for the suggestions.
Really this is not for gigging or anything. Just need a case to get it from the builder to my house (across country).
I'm looking at a coffin case as well, suggested by Jon S.

Thanks.
derek
gr8fl4295
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:02 pm

I don't know why you'd buy a case with any goal OTHER than transporting the instrument. I'm heavily in favor of the type that Playindead posted - thick padding, rigid neck support, zipper/nylon outer construction - a sort of cross between a gig bag and hard case. All my nicer basses live in this type of case.

My Starfire only fits in a traditional hard-case and it reminds of why I hate them - it's beat to hell after only 2 years, more than once I've picked it up but forgotten to latch the latches, dumping the bass out onto the ground (this never happens with zippers for some reason) and IMHO the hard outer shell transmits shock and bumps to the instrument far more than a softer case does. On the plus side, you can put stickers on it. :lol:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby myoung6923 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:28 pm

I got a couple of SKB iSeries cases for my guitars and I just can't say enough about them. They look like Pelican cases for guitars - they are actually waterproof!

They are tough and made of a non-brittle type of plastic. They take a beating with all of the other gear that I load around them - and I like that I don't have to worry about them getting banged up.

They do make a generic sized case - you'd have to check to see if it would fit a tiger

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/prodlist.php?c=75
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby cmc64 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:51 am

Holy shit! Those nuts really did throw Strat off the roof of the Phoenix Theater and it was fine. Unreal. As I am going to be shipping a guitar out in a few months for a major makeover, I think I am sold on this one. Off to the website to experience potential sticker shock.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby jalevinemd » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:16 am

As I posted in another thread, I love the Jan Al flight cases. Have one for each of my Alembics. Custom cut to fit the guitar so it won't move an inch inside the heavily padded interior. That's the problem with a lot of these cases, even the ATA rated ones. The case itself may be indestructible, but if the guitar has room to shift inside then it's likely going to get its headstock or lower body slammed against one end of the case and fracture. In other words, a one-size-fits-all flight case is not always the best option.
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby softmachine72 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:19 pm

I use the SKB or the $120 road master from Guitar Center for the Wolf guitars I build.I have not had any trouble but, I now mail them registered U.S. mail . They hand-carry that thing everywhere it does not go through the big sorters.I secure the guitar in with memory foam.around the sides and under the head stock, no problems yet.And it usually gets there in 2 days for $90 insured for $3000. Fed ex or UPS more like $180.
softmachine72
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby zambiland » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:12 am

jalevinemd wrote:As I posted in another thread, I love the Jan Al flight cases. Have one for each of my Alembics. Custom cut to fit the guitar so it won't move an inch inside the heavily padded interior. That's the problem with a lot of these cases, even the ATA rated ones. The case itself may be indestructible, but if the guitar has room to shift inside then it's likely going to get its headstock or lower body slammed against one end of the case and fracture. In other words, a one-size-fits-all flight case is not always the best option.

I have a Jan Al for my Alembic Series I. It's great but it's heavy as hell. I mean crazy heavy. The bass is probably being sold but without the case.

For my Starfire, I have a Calton. I believe it to be every bit as protective as the Jan Al, but it's a bit easier to get around. That said, I'm in the market for a gig bag for the Starfire. It's a little big for stock bags, so I'm hoping that Glenn Cronkhite will answer my emails or phone calls one of these days. If not, it's going to be a Harvest Fine Leather case. Pricey, but it looks like a best in class case.
zambiland

Postby brutusbuck45 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:29 am

I use a Coffin Case Body Bag... its a gig bag but with the familiar coffin shape. It has rigid sides and very well padded. Check it out- its a nice alternative.

-Jeff
brutusbuck45
Phil
Phil

Postby jalevinemd » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:57 am

zambiland wrote:
jalevinemd wrote:As I posted in another thread, I love the Jan Al flight cases. Have one for each of my Alembics. Custom cut to fit the guitar so it won't move an inch inside the heavily padded interior. That's the problem with a lot of these cases, even the ATA rated ones. The case itself may be indestructible, but if the guitar has room to shift inside then it's likely going to get its headstock or lower body slammed against one end of the case and fracture. In other words, a one-size-fits-all flight case is not always the best option.

I have a Jan Al for my Alembic Series I. It's great but it's heavy as hell. I mean crazy heavy. The bass is probably being sold but without the case.

For my Starfire, I have a Calton. I believe it to be every bit as protective as the Jan Al, but it's a bit easier to get around. That said, I'm in the market for a gig bag for the Starfire. It's a little big for stock bags, so I'm hoping that Glenn Cronkhite will answer my emails or phone calls one of these days. If not, it's going to be a Harvest Fine Leather case. Pricey, but it looks like a best in class case.

That's the truth!

The first one I had made without wheels. Learned from that mistake for the second. :-)
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Next

Return to Guitar Building and Mods