Garcia's SG

Re: Garcia's SG

Postby mijknahs » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:15 pm

tigerstrat wrote:This is my most recent photographic "discovery": http://www.gdao.org/items/show/833921 it doesn't allow access to the photo URL but if you go to theis page you can zoom. The first thing I noticed was the wah pedal (earliest known photo AFAICT); the next thing I saw was that he appears to be playing the Rick Turner "Peanut". I think the most likely scenario is that he played the Turner creation from Nov 70 (or a bit earlier?) clear up til the end of the Feb 71 tour.

Wasn't he also using the "Peanut" at the April 1971 Fillmore East shows (beyond Feb. '71)? I thought there was a picture from one of those shows that showed it?

Gotta love Garcia's pants tucked in his boots!
mijknahs

Postby Free Jazz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:27 pm

tigerstrat wrote:This is my most recent photographic "discovery": http://www.gdao.org/items/show/833921 it doesn't allow access to the photo URL but if you go to theis page you can zoom. The first thing I noticed was the wah pedal (earliest known photo AFAICT); the next thing I saw was that he appears to be playing the Rick Turner "Peanut". I think the most likely scenario is that he played the Turner creation from Nov 70 (or a bit earlier?) clear up til the end of the Feb 71 tour.

Great find. It's amazing how this all just "decides" to appear with time. (As an aside: I had a class at SFState with Keith's Dad, Henri in the 80's and he mentioned a stash of "tapes they gave to Keith" for him to listen to before he joined, which kept in his houseboat across the Bay in Alameda ... I didn't push him about it, but alas, the Betty Boards appeared in due time)

Anyway, I appreciate the possible time-span for the "Peanut." A few re-listens are in order to late '70, which is welcome, as I've been living in '68 (Staple-top and P90) Tones for years at a time.
Free Jazz
tiger
tiger

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:58 pm

"Seems like I been here before.."

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=12737

(nice to see I can contradict myself in two different threads)

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is being able to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald :lol:

(that assumes I still have the ability to function.... better check with my wife)

and...

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=12136

and...

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=12619
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby easytoslip » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:08 pm

mijknahs wrote:All this talk about the SG make me want to pickup a used "Faded SG". Looks like they could be had for around $400-$450 used on my local CL.

you're talking Epiphone or Gibson SG? was just at guitar center browsing and it looks like there all the Epiphones are $350 or so, while the Gibson SG's are up at $1000+. Not saying CL will be that pricey, just curious if you actually found one of the Gibsons for less than $500
easytoslip
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Smolder » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:20 pm

easytoslip wrote:
mijknahs wrote:All this talk about the SG make me want to pickup a used "Faded SG". Looks like they could be had for around $400-$450 used on my local CL.

you're talking Epiphone or Gibson SG? was just at guitar center browsing and it looks like there all the Epiphones are $350 or so, while the Gibson SG's are up at $1000+. Not saying CL will be that pricey, just curious if you actually found one of the Gibsons for less than $500

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/3327431565.html

this is what I have

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/3373614794.html
Smolder

Postby jenkins » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:37 pm

That's gotta be the peanut guitar in that pic right?
Sure looks like it, it's definitely not the special and I don't believe it's and SG either

Wasn't that peanut up for sale a few years ago?
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:44 pm

Our local G.D. band has a Jerry who at one time played a SG and a Marshall and got a great sound.
Tennessee Jedi

Postby mijknahs » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:48 pm

easytoslip wrote:

It is a "real" Gibson SG Made In the USA. I got it for $500. Yes, they're over $1000 new.

It's a blast to play. Even unplugged.
mijknahs

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:04 pm

jenkins wrote:That's gotta be the peanut guitar in that pic right?
Sure looks like it, it's definitely not the special and I don't believe it's and SG either

there was (or is) an early Alembic guitar with a similar shape, but the one Jerry played was the "original", which Turner rebuilt from a destroyed Gibson circa 1967, before he came to California and co-founded Alembic.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:13 pm

mijknahs wrote:Wasn't he also using the "Peanut" at the April 1971 Fillmore East shows (beyond Feb. '71)? I thought there was a picture from one of those shows that showed it?

The pics that have previously circulated of Peanut were from Feb '71. Then the LP Deluxe is from March 71 iirc. The Duke U. 4/24/71 pics show the Guild S-100, which are the closest pics to 4/27-29 that I know of.

So from early 70 to late 71, it goes: early 60's Strat > LP-SG> Peanut> LP Deluxe> S-100> mid 50's Strat (Alligator)> LP Special> Alligator.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby mijknahs » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:28 pm

tigerstrat wrote:
jenkins wrote:That's gotta be the peanut guitar in that pic right?

there was (or is) an early Alembic guitar with a similar shape, but the one Jerry played was the "original", which Turner rebuilt from a destroyed Gibson circa 1967, before he came to California and co-founded Alembic.

It's interesting to note that Rick Turner's Model-1 guitar has a sort of "Peanut" shape:

http://www.rickturnerguitars.com/model- ... hogany.php
mijknahs

Postby easytoslip » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:34 pm

right on! Def will keep my eyes open for a used one in the near future. thanks for the links :D

eta: hot DAMN there are a lot of instruments for sale on Craigslist :shock:
easytoslip
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Smolder » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:40 pm

easytoslip wrote:right on! Def will keep my eyes open for a used one in the near future. thanks for the links :D

eta: hot DAMN there are a lot of instruments for sale on Craigslist :shock:

seriously... if you can snag a crescent moon inlay from 2001-2002 you'll be doin well. Solid mojo.
Smolder

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:51 am

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Mosfed » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:20 pm

mijknahs wrote:
easytoslip wrote:

It is a "real" Gibson SG Made In the USA. I got it for $500. Yes, they're over $1000 new.

It's a blast to play. Even unplugged.

Guitar Center has new Gibson SG fadeds for $600

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Fade ... 1149235.gc

As far as the modded v not SGs, my vote would be no major mods. Never seemed like those guitars stuck around for long enough to become experiments. It seems like if he didn't like something he would change guitar.

Also the guitar people aren't mentioning is the sunburst strat that made many an appearance in 1970.
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone