Another Adamas convert

Chat about Equipment Info

Another Adamas convert

Postby bzbz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:55 pm

I played my first full gig with Adamas 2mm pick tonight - I always thought the threads about them were perhaps a bit "over the top" - after all, how much could a pick contribute to tone - OMG - I am converted - snap crackle and pop! I didn't even play with brand new strings - and played a simple Strat with 57/62 pickups, used a Peavy Classic 30 amp - wow!
bzbz
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: Another Adamas convert

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:17 pm

YES the way to the force is not always so clear. Try using them for a while, then forget/loose your pick(s) and have to borrow some other pick for a gig or rehearsal. The dependence is staggering.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:55 am

"This is all that stands between me and abject poverty." -J. Garcia
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby lightningbolt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:37 am

I have been using the Adamas 2MM for about a year now and I can't imagine going back to anything else. It not only gives the "snap, crackle and pop" but the thickness and lack of flexibility makes your picking technique evolve different dynamics to accommodate it. I find my technique has to utilize many more subtleties with the Adamas then a thinner/non graphite pick. In other words I think the unforgiving nature of the pick has made me a better guitarist. Anyone else find this?

They take some getting used too but switching to the Adamas' along with my switch to higher action has no doubt improved my sound and my playing.
lightningbolt
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby ccw3432 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:51 am

I love them for the electric guitar. The first time I used one I couldn't believe the handicap I put on myself for years by playing with a thinner plastic pick. The strings do what I want them to since you don't have to account for the pick bend.
Great for dynamics and feel.

II've been using a dunlop yellow for acoustic for years. I've found on acoustic guitar the bass strings can sound dull with the Adamas. The first time I tried them with acoustic I didn't like the sound at all. I've been messing around with holding the pick much lighter and letting it be more forgiving for acoustic and I'm starting to get some jangley results that I like, especially with chord strumming.

The importance of a good pick is often underrated, I think because they are just inexpensive and not much to them. It really makes a big difference though. I may have to get in on the traveling pick thread and try some others.
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:09 am

"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

TI4-1009

Postby mijknahs » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:54 am

Lately I've been using the "round" corner sometimes rather than the "pointy" side. I seem to get better harmonics and a different tone.
mijknahs

Postby tigger » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:40 am

I find it much easier to play chords with the rounded part.
tigger
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Mosfed » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:15 pm

I am a bigger fan of the Telefunken .75mm graphite pick. No bend whatsoever and easier to use. 2mm is just too much for me. The difference btwn graphite and tortex on either acoustic or electric is just staggering
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby old man down » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:15 am

TI4-1009 wrote:"This is all that stands between me and abject poverty." -J. Garcia

May have or may have not known he said this, following him all these years, but I love it.

Going to search it out for myself.

Thanks!
old man down
Phil
Phil

Postby Jon S. » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:57 am

I'm going to admit that I've become an Adamas apostate. I still dig them but prefer the V-Pick 1.5 mm Traditional. In fact, I did a blind (for the listeners) A-B test with my band on Sunday and it was unanimous - better Jerry tones with the V-Pick. Though this finding, of course, must be taken in the context of my full rig which overlaps with, but is not identical to, Jerry's. The bottom line remains, "Listen with your ears, not your expectations."
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:23 am

HERESY!

Moderators, do your work...

TI4-1009

Postby strumminsix » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:48 am

TI4-1009 wrote:HERESY!

Moderators, do your work...

Wha, you want I should whack dis guy?
strumminsix

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:45 am

Nah, jus make im an oufa he can' refuse....... We don' need no freekin "apostates" roun heh.

TI4-1009

Postby DenverEd » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Ordered up a bag. I hoped to upgrade my order to include a health smattering of talent. But alas, it was not available on the website. 8)
DenverEd
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion