Garcia's SG

Re: Garcia's SG

Postby Mosfed » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:16 am

On the plus side - great info posted. I hadn't realized that Garcia had spent anytime with PAF pickups - which is what I would presume to be in a very early SG/les Paul. Plus I can't believe that the Tele from CC Rider is the same rosewood Tele that George Harrison played on the roof. Great trivia.

On the downside - can feel a new Garcia guitar "need" coming on. At least the 1967 SGs are a bit cheaper. 1961 originals are a small fortune. Maybe a 1961 reissue could get you close enough. I do like the smaller pickguards.
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:39 am

Rearrange the letters, add an A: SG becomes GAS. "Gotta have it" :-)
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:48 am

Smolder wrote:both rosewood necks?

"...loaned to Jerry by Delaney Bramlett, who received the guitar from George Harrison sometime after he played the concert on the roof of Apple Records."

and how cool is that???

Both SGs (I think all SGs) had rosewood necks.

"The rosewood tele" story is pretty common knowledge among Beatles Gear afficianados (or those of us that come up for air out of rukind occasionally :lol: )

http://www.beatgearcavern.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62890&hilit=rosewood

Delaney & Bonnie & Friends were on the Festival Express tour, that was the connection and how Jerry got to play it. I was at the Toronto stop of the tour- like I could remember which guitar Jerry was playing 42 years, four months, and five days ago..... :D

(uh oh... sensing onslaught of Waldo photos... :lol: )
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

TI4-1009

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:29 am

Mosfed wrote:On the plus side - great info posted. I hadn't realized that Garcia had spent anytime with PAF pickups - which is what I would presume to be in a very early SG/les Paul. Plus I can't believe that the Tele from CC Rider is the same rosewood Tele that George Harrison played on the roof. Great trivia.

On the downside - can feel a new Garcia guitar "need" coming on. At least the 1967 SGs are a bit cheaper. 1961 originals are a small fortune. Maybe a 1961 reissue could get you close enough. I do like the smaller pickguards.

I have a "Faded" SG and it's fantastic for the price. It's every bit as nice of a player as the high end models, they just skimped on the finish a little - instead of grain-filling and putting on thick layers of clearcoat, you get more of a raw mahogany feel. I kind of prefer it, actually, and it's like $1,500 less.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Smolder » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:35 am

Rusty the Scoob wrote:
Mosfed wrote:On the plus side - great info posted. I hadn't realized that Garcia had spent anytime with PAF pickups - which is what I would presume to be in a very early SG/les Paul. Plus I can't believe that the Tele from CC Rider is the same rosewood Tele that George Harrison played on the roof. Great trivia.

I have a "Faded" SG and it's fantastic for the price. It's every bit as nice of a player as the high end models, they just skimped on the finish a little - instead of grain-filling and putting on thick layers of clearcoat, you get more of a raw mahogany feel. I kind of prefer it, actually, and it's like $1,500 less.

Agreed... I have one of the early ones with the crescent moon inlays. It resonates like no other guitar I own. I put some '60 replica's made my jmrolph and the things has such piano like tone and timbre. I also think the ebony fretboard is a little brighter which helps since I ten to ride the neck pickup. It's my favorite jerry-like player by far.
Smolder

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 pm

It resonates like no other guitar I own.

Man, that's one thing I've noticed right away with mine! I was rubbing my finger along one of the cutaways and my skin was doing that "catching-slipping" thing. All the strings started to vibrate sympathetically- like rubbing the rim of a wine glass. It was like the thing was alive!

TI4-1009

Postby mijknahs » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 pm

All this talk about the SG make me want to pickup a used "Faded SG". Looks like they could be had for around $400-$450 used on my local CL.
mijknahs

Postby ccw3432 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:14 pm

Do it. You won't regret it. I absolutely love mine.
ccw3432
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby Mr.Burns » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:26 am

Mosfed wrote:Watching Festival Express (June-July 1970) I noticed Garcia had a different SG than I had previously seen - like an early 60s - with the original small pickguard and no bigsby. And then the shot of CC Rider with Garcia on a rosewood (?) tele. And then some random Strat with Rick Danco Janis and others including Bob and John Dawson.

Pretty damn cool.

I'm not trying to derail the SG thread, and I'm highly appreciative of the info presented here. But I've often thought of how cool Festival Express is because of all the borrowing of instruments among the musicians. Speaking of random Strats, is Danko holding a pre-mods Alligator during what sounds like "Sunshine of Your Love", around the 52:00 mark?

Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:05 pm

I don't see the metal pickguard section over the volume and tone pots that I think was on the Alligator strat.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby willmusic » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:32 am

No physical mods were made until after June 71 I think?
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:48 am

Well, there was the sticker...

TI4-1009

Postby zambiland » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:39 am

TI4-1009 wrote:

"...loaned to Jerry by Delaney Bramlett, who received the guitar from George Harrison sometime after he played the concert on the roof of Apple Records."

and how cool is that???

I think the wood you are looking for is mahogany. All SGs and lots of Gibsons had mahogany necks and the SG bodies as well as Les Paul bodies (and all Guild Starfire bass bodies except the sunburst ones) were also mahogany. Most Les Pauls have a maple cap on top of the mahogany body. It's a great wood. Very resonant and easy to work with and fairly easy to get.
zambiland

Postby Smolder » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:44 am

zambiland wrote:
TI4-1009 wrote:

and how cool is that???

I think the wood you are looking for is mahogany. All SGs and lots of Gibsons had mahogany necks and the SG bodies as well as Les Paul bodies (and all Guild Starfire bass bodies except the sunburst ones) were also mahogany. Most Les Pauls have a maple cap on top of the mahogany body. It's a great wood. Very resonant and easy to work with and fairly easy to get.

Sorry, I meant rosewood fretboards. I believe all SG's have mahogany necks, though some Les Pauls during the 70's and early 80's had maple necks. Some of the SG's came with ebony fretboards which are a bit brighter.
Smolder

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:42 am

Of course- I think that's right. As my ex used to say: "Hear what I meant, not what I said...". ;-)

Is there anything that has a rosewood neck?

TI4-1009

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone