Every piece of gear makes a difference

Re: Every piece of gear makes a difference

Postby mijknahs » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 am

I agree that guitars make a huge difference even when all the electronics and strings are the same. Even if the scale length is the same, the wood and construction make a huge contribution to the tone.
mijknahs

Postby Cmnaround » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:45 am

I really like my neck through - solid, smooth and easy access up to the 24th fret.
Cmnaround
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby tapestry » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:34 am

mijknahs wrote:I agree that guitars make a huge difference even when all the electronics and strings are the same. Even if the scale length is the same, the wood and construction make a huge contribution to the tone.

yes! It is amazing. I posted this originally just for the folks still searching for the sound...I was always convinced that a neck through was the way to go, and when i got my warmouth, I was told that a bolt on will sound like crap. So far, my bolt on sounds better than any other I have played!
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Postby mijknahs » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:43 am

tapestry wrote:
mijknahs wrote:I agree that guitars make a huge difference even when all the electronics and strings are the same. Even if the scale length is the same, the wood and construction make a huge contribution to the tone.

yes! It is amazing. I posted this originally just for the folks still searching for the sound...I was always convinced that a neck through was the way to go, and when i got my warmouth, I was told that a bolt on will sound like crap. So far, my bolt on sounds better than any other I have played!

I think a set neck will sound similar to a bolt-on but with more sustain since it has a better fit. However some bolt-ons will sound pretty much the same due to a tight and solid fit. It all comes down to the neck and body wood at that point.

A neck-through is influeced mainly by the neck woods. The body "wings" make much less of an impact.
mijknahs

Postby waldo041 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:51 pm

String height plays a role as well. Mik was your and Dave's heightz the same? i would think yours was higher being more splatty and boinky. Getting the pickup positions correct with the pickup height to string do make a difference but string height is more dramatic of a difference, imho. Neck joints are important for sustain and note clarity. The wood helps with regard to a darker or brighter tonal character. At least that is what my research on the subjects have revealed.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby easytoslip » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:44 pm

helio wrote:
tapestry wrote:It seems like every single piece of gear makes all the differences, some more than others. The other thing i realized is how much of the "sound" is in the hands.

Saw Trey Anastasio the other night. Solo tour. He's playing his trusty Languedoc, of course, but on this tour also features a Fender Jaguar on a couple tunes. He jammed out a few solos on the Jaguar, and of course sounded great. He's a fantastic player regardless of the instrument, and clearly knew his way around that guitar's funky settings.

BUT... after one long jam with the Fender, he switched back to the Languedoc... and the difference was rather stark. The Languedoc is a very expressive guitar, and he's played it forever. The result? A huge array of nuances in the tone that were simply not there with the Fender. Trey really, really knows how to milk the 'Doc for all of it's quirks, and the resulting tunes sound all the better, more interesting, for it.

Trey's great regardless, but Trey + Languedoc is extra special.

I agree that the Languedoc guitars are beautiful, but hearing Creek's Murawski play it through his Fender amp (not sure if it was an actual 'twin', but it did have two speakers), made me see how much Trey's cabinet also affects that tone...Trey's got such a fat, warm sound, while Scott Murawski's came up thinner, cleaner, for lack of better way to describe each.
easytoslip
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Smolder » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:54 pm

^^^^
agree. the difference for two d120's in a fender twin cab vs an avatar vintage cab (both open back and driven by the twin) is huge. Much better bass and mid response. At the volumes I play, it's a much bigger factor for separate head/cab than tube rattle, cause I just don't play at Jerry's stadium volume.
Smolder

Postby Mr.Burns » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:34 am

TI4-1009 wrote:So Les Paul was onto something with "The Log" then?

Gibson thought enough of "The Log" to build thousands of Les Pauls. So he was onto "something", just not neck-thru construction.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone