Jer-tone Bedroom Rig?

Re: Jer-tone Bedroom Rig?

Postby mijknahs » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:51 pm

tigger wrote:I don't think there are any Princeton Reverbs out there for $125... Must be a later solid state Princeton.
For that price I would go for a new Mustang instead, pretty much the best bedroom amp out there.


Yeah, that couldn't be an all tube Princeton Reverb for that price. But if it is... get it!
User avatar
mijknahs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:51 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Jer-tone Bedroom Rig?

Postby willmusic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:36 pm

Princeton chorus?
User avatar
willmusic
wolf
wolf
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:39 am
Location: VA

Re: Jer-tone Bedroom Rig?

Postby Friesman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:17 am

Stella Bloo wrote:Friesman,

More help please, I don't have an output jack on the Microbaby, other than speaker jack. I have input only.

Am I missing something?

Thanks so much


Sorry -I meant your speaker jack-
Friesman
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:11 am

Re: Jer-tone Bedroom Rig?

Postby Stella Bloo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:33 am

Friesman,

Now I am more confused. You are plugging your SMS into the rear speaker jack of the Superbaby? How do you go to the speaker?

Or are you plugging the SMS into the guitar input of the Superbaby?

Thanks, I don't want to hurt anything!
User avatar
Stella Bloo
Donna
Donna
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:16 am

Re: Jer-tone Bedroom Rig?

Postby mijknahs » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:40 am

Stella Bloo wrote:Friesman,

Now I am more confused. You are plugging your SMS into the rear speaker jack of the Superbaby? How do you go to the speaker?

Or are you plugging the SMS into the guitar input of the Superbaby?

Thanks, I don't want to hurt anything!


+1

I'm curious too!
User avatar
mijknahs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:51 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Jer-tone Bedroom Rig?

Postby Friesman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:54 pm

Stella Bloo wrote:Friesman,

Now I am more confused. You are plugging your SMS into the rear speaker jack of the Superbaby? How do you go to the speaker?

Or are you plugging the SMS into the guitar input of the Superbaby?

Thanks, I don't want to hurt anything!


Sorry! I'm in the Halloween Biz and going nuts!!

Guitar cord direct from guitar into the front jack of sms and cord from back of sms into front of superbaby- make sure your tone knob on superbaby (microbaby) is turned counterclockwise and completely off until it clicks- This way you are using your microbaby as a power amp only. Check out tube recipe's section on curt's site to see what fender type tubes are compatible withe the microbaby. Other thing is since the microbaby is 1-2 watts you may have a tough time getting clean sounds..

TX
Friesman
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:11 am

Re: Jer-tone Bedroom Rig?

Postby mijknahs » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:25 pm

Friesman wrote:
Stella Bloo wrote:Friesman,

Now I am more confused. You are plugging your SMS into the rear speaker jack of the Superbaby? How do you go to the speaker?

Or are you plugging the SMS into the guitar input of the Superbaby?

Thanks, I don't want to hurt anything!


Sorry! I'm in the Halloween Biz and going nuts!!

Guitar cord direct from guitar into the front jack of sms and cord from back of sms into front of superbaby- make sure your tone knob on superbaby (microbaby) is turned counterclockwise and completely off until it clicks- This way you are using your microbaby as a power amp only. Check out tube recipe's section on curt's site to see what fender type tubes are compatible withe the microbaby. Other thing is since the microbaby is 1-2 watts you may have a tough time getting clean sounds..

TX


So turning the tone control "off' until it clicks shuts totally bypasses the preamp section? That's pretty cool.
User avatar
mijknahs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:51 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Jer-tone Bedroom Rig?

Postby Friesman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:37 pm

mijknahs wrote:
Friesman wrote:
Stella Bloo wrote:Friesman,

Now I am more confused. You are plugging your SMS into the rear speaker jack of the Superbaby? How do you go to the speaker?

Or are you plugging the SMS into the guitar input of the Superbaby?

Thanks, I don't want to hurt anything!


Sorry! I'm in the Halloween Biz and going nuts!!

Guitar cord direct from guitar into the front jack of sms and cord from back of sms into front of superbaby- make sure your tone knob on superbaby (microbaby) is turned counterclockwise and completely off until it clicks- This way you are using your microbaby as a power amp only. Check out tube recipe's section on curt's site to see what fender type tubes are compatible withe the microbaby. Other thing is since the microbaby is 1-2 watts you may have a tough time getting clean sounds..

TX


So turning the tone control "off' until it clicks shuts totally bypasses the preamp section? That's pretty cool.


Correct!
Friesman
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:11 am

Re: Jer-tone Bedroom Rig?

Postby cmc64 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:25 pm

mijknahs wrote:
tigger wrote:I don't think there are any Princeton Reverbs out there for $125... Must be a later solid state Princeton.
For that price I would go for a new Mustang instead, pretty much the best bedroom amp out there.


Yeah, that couldn't be an all tube Princeton Reverb for that price. But if it is... get it!


I haven't been to the shop in a while but not that I really think about it, yes it very well may be solid state.

If it is solid-state are there any opinions on it out there?
User avatar
cmc64
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:04 pm

Re: Jer-tone Bedroom Rig?

Postby mijknahs » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:53 pm

cmc64 wrote:
mijknahs wrote:
tigger wrote:I don't think there are any Princeton Reverbs out there for $125... Must be a later solid state Princeton.
For that price I would go for a new Mustang instead, pretty much the best bedroom amp out there.


Yeah, that couldn't be an all tube Princeton Reverb for that price. But if it is... get it!


I haven't been to the shop in a while but not that I really think about it, yes it very well may be solid state.

If it is solid-state are there any opinions on it out there?


Just play it. It still might be a decent bedroom amp. You never know. But you could probably get a better solid state bedroom amp for cheaper.
User avatar
mijknahs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:51 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Jer-tone Bedroom Rig?

Postby vwjodyme » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:49 am

Anyone try out one of these Clapton Champs yet? Saw one at GC, but the place was packed so didn't get to plug in. very pricey, but maybe they will make a cheaper, non-clapton one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... -combo-amp
User avatar
vwjodyme
Senior Member
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 5:50 am
Location: South Shore, MA

Re: Jer-tone Bedroom Rig?

Postby barefootdave » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:50 pm

I picked up a Super Champ X2 recently for my office, right before I got the Fractal. I think it sounds outstanding for the price. I don't turn it on much since getting the AxeFX2, buts its a very nice amp with pretty decent effects. It sounds good at medium volume, but nowhere near as good as the Fractal does at ANY volume. But then again, it's about 1/8 the price.

I mostly run the fractal through an ancient Bose Wave Radio, sounds amazing every time. Gets a stellar tone whether whisper quiet or brain damage loud.
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:57 am
Location: South Florida

Re: Jer-tone Bedroom Rig?

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:27 am

i have a 87 red knob champ 12. great bedroom rig. i've seen solo guys gig with them, and i have taken it to band practice, but with a full kit, it is just a little bit too quiet, but it actually worked ok for practice, just didn't have any more headroom.

i think the roland micro cube would be great, too.

or.... an sms preamp with small studio monitors, or an alembic f2b with small studio monitors, or monitor. i have small studio monitors (almost computer speaker size) and have used a digitech valve fx preamp with them. the digitech valve fx had some god awful 90's digital effects on it, but some useful ones, although in general, it sounded like garbage and i would never recommend it. it just came with a skb case and power amp i was buying.
like waves against the bandstand dancers broke
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Whitefish, MT

Re: Jer-tone Bedroom Rig?

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:44 am

I'm afraid I'm going to need to scrape up $200-300 to dump into my vintage Super Champ before I can even plunk around on it. At 30 years, the caps are in dangerous territory. I'd sure like to try some different 10" speakers in it too.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
User avatar
tigerstrat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4632
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Portland,OR

Re: Jer-tone Bedroom Rig?

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Well, not exactly, more like "Jer-tone Practice Rig", or the Harvard he used to have. I just finished my BYOC Tweed Royal- switchable between Champ 5F1, Deluxe 5E3, and Princeton thrown in for good measure. Two Classic Tone OTs, I put a Weber VST P12Q in it. Shellaced the tweed. Great experience building your own amp- and having it work! At 6 watts SE and 12 PP it's still plenty loud!

Image

Image
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
User avatar
TI4-1009
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:27 am
Location: Upstate NY- Toodaloo

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests