Basic Tiger Style Wiring

Re: Basic Tiger Style Wiring

Postby waldo041 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:13 am

a 12b is used for the output jack and utilizes the ring contact to create a path to ground engaging the battery when a mono plug is inserted into it. the reference i made above is strictly talking about the OBEL. it needs a TRS stereo plug for the send and return sides. however with a 12b jack when the TRS stereo plug is removed it breaks the OBEL signal, so when you flip the switch to the OBEL there will be no sound. Flip the switch back to the non OBEL side and the guitar will have signal and sound. on the other hand with a 14b the switching contacts have a jumper between them that shorth the tip and ring together and send signal across the tip and ring when no TRS stereo plug is in the OBEL jack. either side of the OBEL switch with no plug inserted in the OBEL will have the normal side of the switches signal. put a plug into the OBEL 14b and the shorted contacts break and Tip and RIng work exactly like a 12b.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby TI4-1009 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:12 pm

"It's a poor day when you don't learn something." Thanks Mike!
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby cmc64 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:30 am

TI4-1009 wrote:"It's a poor day when you don't learn something." Thanks Mike!

The good old days. Seems like it was a long time ago but it doesn't feel like it. I don't have to go back very far in my mind to put myself right back there. Paraphrasing J.G. here, but that's just how it feels.

But to the point - What would I do without you guys? :-) :thumbsup: I could say thanks a million times over - just know that I really mean it.

And Mr. Wald, I placed an order for a TPC1 the other day - this one is going into my backup Strat - my "experimental" guitar - so I can get an idea of exactly how I want things before my #1 goes under the knife. I know how good it sounds so its arrival day will be quite exciting. A tip of the hat to you sir for keeping us supplied with top-notch hardware and the info we need. Right-on!
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby cmc64 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:29 am

Two final things as I order my parts - one of these threads had a member who had mentioned a specific high quality DPDT switch to use but I cannot find thread. Also, to avoid any popping noises I was going to install two 1 meg resistors - one for the OBEL switch and one for the 5-way - I read that any old 2 cent resistor will do but does anyone have a recommendation of a particularly good one? Thanks!!
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:01 am

I got my DPDTs from DiMarzio, but there are other good quality switches out there. Not sure DiMarzio even makes the ones they sell?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby mgbills » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:22 am

+1 for finding the high quality DPDT. I had a StewMac version fail recently. Like for that to not happen again.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby cmc64 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:42 pm

TI4-1009 wrote:I got my DPDTs from DiMarzio, but there are other good quality switches out there. Not sure DiMarzio even makes the ones they sell?

That's what i was looking for. Thanks!. I was going to get the StewMac version but with the failure comment I think I'll stick with the DiMarzio's.

Right-on!
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby mgbills » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:22 pm

I Guggled DiMarzio DPDT on/on, and only found DPDT On/On/On. I think that implies a middle position, which is not what the Tiger schematic calls for.

Maybe it's no biggie, but I'm not sure how that position would respond. It appears to have only 6 leads. :D

Mouser has 24 pages of them. Ug.

Wait. Wait. http://rlmusicsupply.com/DiMarzio-2-Position-DPDT-Mini-Switch-P2660434.aspx That hurt.

We need some genius here.

Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Previous

Return to Guitar Building and Mods