Using an equalizer in the pedal chain to raise signal?

Re: Using an equalizer in the pedal chain to raise signal?

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:15 am

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:

I have run into people who have found that their OBEL loop had some loss when engaged,

B

Been experimenting with using my StratoBlaster to boost my Qtron level ..... me likey.
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:53 pm

I think Jer would have had tons of fun with the gazillion cool pedals made today. Kid in a candy store.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:00 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I think Jer would have had tons of fun with the gazillion cool pedals made today. Kid in a candy store.

B

He always explored new stuff always searchin' for something new
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby oldsmojo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:27 pm

The Taiwanese Boss pedals def sound worse than the older Japanese ones. The quality of parts inside is a huge part of this. People like Keely and Analogman, Doobtone etc etc have had lots of business modifying these pedals to sound better. W/ the japanese versions all you really have to do is change out the really small thin ceramic disc caps into a more sturdy film cap. The squealing highs will corrected after this as ceramics (especially the real thin ones) pass lots of high end and lose midrange. The small cheap metal films are also very bright. These are loaded in the Fender reissue amps and thats why some people like them. I personally cant stand most all reissue Fenders! I hear them on stage instantly and always think its sad that with all this great gear out there people more and more will opt for a blues Jr. or Blues Deluxe and not even care about modifying that with a better speaker at least! Its really nice to be a part of this group where we have some great teachers and hungry ears...thanks to all of you, Its made me care more and more about sound quality over the years. Don't settle! and always know when you really like what you have and be careful not to ruin a good thing...its easily done.
oldsmojo
Donna
Donna

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:33 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I think Jer would have had tons of fun with the gazillion cool pedals made today. Kid in a candy store.

B

There are stories about his annual gear shopping spree with Parish, they sound exactly like "kid in a candy store"!

(and PS- I also have the eq in my effects chain)
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:48 pm

Alright then. To answer my own question I went ahead and bought the Monte Allums kit to put in my pedal. I'll let you know how it works out.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

TI4-1009

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:40 pm

I have to disagree with the fact that BOSS pedals suck.... Well, they may suck to get some desired tones, but for a good Jerry distortion horn tone, my HM-2 with a boss GE7 in line with it does it better than a bunch I have tried. BUT,,,,I also use separate loops for each of my pedals, and run the GE7 and HM2 together on one. I don't use a pedal board with my Jerry rig. I know switchers are expensive, but Its been well worth it to become one with your pedals. The tone sucking, noise and signal loss is really not an issue with a loop system it seems, or at least you can dial it out easier. You can adjust each pedal in its own loop to function properly when engaged. I haven't really found a "lasting" use for a GE7 other than in conjunction with an OD, Octave or a Qtron. What I liked about the GE7, was when I was dialing in my rig to jerrys recordings, I could adjust the EQ to get it where I thought it was right. Otherwise I would only have a single tone knob and that wouldn't be enough to dial it in with the differences in gear/technique I have to his....

On the bright side, It also helped with my qtron to get the tone as close to a Mutron as possible. I only have one GE7 so I don't do it now, but You could get better clipping tone with it inline and tame some of the sounds that aren't in a mutron's tone. I would have to agree it is really a tool to fix other pedals that need to be fixed. Maybe the best idea is NOT to buy pedals that need to be fixed?
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby oldsmojo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:05 pm

The consesus overall was that the ge7 sucks for a clean tone adjuster. Theres much better pedals for that and even dirt cheap ones. I personally reccommend everyone try an eq with their o.d. pedal/s. That way you can contour and or have two o.d. tones to choose from. Theres some really amazing o.d. pedals out there these days that leave Boss pedals way in the dust. To buy what Jerry had concept is kinda boring especially when his lead tone wasnt that great. Its a great opportunity to bring something new to the playing field and also his o.d.s were most likely modified with better caps.
oldsmojo
Donna
Donna

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:21 am

Digging into the GE-7, I've learned that the older Japanese ones were quiet. When they moved production to Tiwan they started using opamps and some other componants that weren't really audio grade, which made for the hiss (like my pedal). After a while they improved the componants and the newer ones are supposed to be quiet again. You read the reviews on this pedal and it's almost like people are talking about two different pedals (they are...).

There are three or four suppliers of mod kits that have very high quality replacement parts that can convert even a noisy GE-7 into an almost boutique-quality pedal. Some will also do the mod for you (for a fee). I will report back after I install my kit.

TI4-1009

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone