Does the preamp buffer fix the pedal chain impedance probs?

Does the preamp buffer fix the pedal chain impedance probs?

Postby jmfranc » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:45 am

I was reading this article by Pete Cornish (yea, the high end pedal builder whose pedals are way over priced) and he had a good argument about NOT using True Bypass pedals.

Basically, with "true bypass" pedals you run the risk of changing your tone with any on/off from a pedal in your chain due to the fact that it's a mix-match of input impedances that can vary greatly and basically no two pedals have the same input impedance. You've got pedals that have input impedance ranges from 1 Megohm all the way down to less than 100 Kilohms (less than 1/10 of the 1 megohm).

Does the Waldo preamp buffer help with this problem? Pete Cornish uses his own system to keep the tone: guitar into a high impedance load that is the same as the amp inputs', AND THEN a low impedance buffered feed to the effects chain - maintaining a constant signal level and tone that does not change when adding/subtracting effects.

This sounds a lot like the solution that was designed for Tigers signal path (other than coming back through the guitar). Was Jerry's tone changing all the time with Wolf and the Travis Beans after adding more and more pedals?

Article: http://www.petecornish.co.uk/case_against_true_bypass.html
jmfranc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Re: Does the preamp buffer fix the pedal chain impedance pro

Postby paulinnc » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:56 am

That is an interesting article, I had read it before awhile ago and forgot about it. I think he made some interesting points and I think that is why Jerry had the buffers etc. in his guitars was to keep the signal consistent. I think the effects loop helps with that too by eliminating extra signal path when not needed. Of course I could be wrong.
paulinnc

Re: Does the preamp buffer fix the pedal chain impedance pro

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:43 pm

It is also why a lot of players moved to a GCX or similar switcher, that way you only have the pedals you need brought into and out of the chain.when I kick on my qtron, only my qtron is in my chain and only after I turn on the OBEL at that. I think your right that was what jerry figured out to keep his tone and system consistent day after day. I would have to agree Jerry figured that out before mr Cornish wrote that article.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Return to Jerry Tone