lets talk Winter 80 Boogie tone (AGAIN!!!)

Re: lets talk Winter 80 Boogie tone (AGAIN!!!)

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:37 am

mgbills wrote:Boogie Lonestar is a great amp! Ran into the Dead Winter Carpenters a few weeks ago, and they had a pair. Tried to get my bandmate to score one, but it was out of his price range. I haven't heard a Boogie Amp yet, that tries to do the clean thing, that doesn't tear it up...... Peace
M

+1

My Lonestar Classic makes me happy. Channel 1 is Mesa's take on pure Blackface. Clean, choice of 10, 50, or 100 watts. But if you play more than just Jerry (just Jerry???), channel 2 gives you any or all the gain/breakup you care to dial in. I go out to my 110+120K JBL cab. For bass I go out to my Ampeg 15" cab. Splendid reverb.

If your quest is to play only Jerry, I'd suggest going the purist route. But if you also like to play other stuff this is a great "two fer" option.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby midnightrainband » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Looking for some of the Boogie experts to help me out. I like the Jerry tone of 76 (mark 1) but I really think the 80 JGB tone (mk2a) is awesome. I;m looking for an amp so I need some opnions on getting the best. Here's the questions.

1. Do you think the MKIIA sounds that much different than the MK1 or is it possibly the guitar/pickups of 1980 vs. 1976?

2. Does the MKIIB sound different than a MKIIA?

3. Give the choice what would be a better bet for a great Jerry tone, mark 1 reissue, MKIIA, or MKIIB.

I've seen the B at a really good price, the A a little beat up and little more expensive, and the reissue varies in price and condition.

PS: a good Weir tone would be an awesome bonus since thats the stuff I play in a band.

THANKS!
midnightrainband
tiger
tiger

Postby gpilcher2001 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:26 am

Follow this link http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/MarkIIC.html. It describes the evolution of the mark series amps. There is another boogie thread on here about the mark 2. Just do a search. Greg...
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 am

Perhaps someone who has played all the 15-20 Mark variations might be able to form an opinion otherwise, but it seems that you can get a nice Fender-y clean with ANY Mark Series Boogie, and the major differences will be in the choice of speakers, Lead Channel voicing (partially user-moddable via tube selection), features (like FX loop, EQ, Reverb), and whether the output section (i.e. if you aren't feeding a external power amp) is 100w/60w, SimulClass, or plain old 60w. My '85 MkIII 60w (traded away now) was over-the-top loud through 2x JBL E120's... but power tubes, when you really spank the strings, always have at least a tiny amount of "squish" or "sag" to them no matter what.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby seniorpesca » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:48 pm

what did he use for reverb if anything???
seniorpesca
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:38 am

seniorpesca wrote:what did he use for reverb if anything???

I guess it is assumed he used the Boogies' reverb.

I wonder if Jerry's had the resistor mod applied to the reverb... I would encourage any Boogie w/ reverb owner to do it. It's the easiest amp mod ever, even easier than the preamp tap, and the results are dramatic.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby cmc64 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:50 pm

WooHoo! Finally got my Mesa Mark IIA to go with my JBL K-120 2x12. The cab is a little rough (and I may re-do the baffle) but for $400, it's made of 13ply Finnish Birch, the JBL's are lovely and it sounds fantastic. Finally gonna nail down that tone I've been lusting after for o so long...

cmc64
Billy
Billy

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone