Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby WildEye » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:45 pm

Nice, I dig the bolt!!
WildEye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Marleyboy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:11 pm

This guitar plays like a dream and sounds even better.you are the man Leo.
Marleyboy
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby jalevinemd » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:01 am

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. Here's a pretty lousy picture of my four Jerry inspired instruments. I'll post better ones soon. The top two are custom Alembics. The bottom left is a Scott Walker and the middle is a Resurrection. Just started speaking with Leo from Scarlet Fire about a Tiger that we're going to be doing.

jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby tcsned » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Badass collection of toys jalevinemd - is that a Greco Zemaitis or an original? I've always loved those and have wondered how the Greco's stacked up. Sweet!
tcsned

Postby jalevinemd » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:01 pm

Thanks.

The metal top is a Zemaitis, not a Greco. It is, however, not a vintage Z. I had a Greco Blackbeard's Island. Craftsmanship on that guitar was flawless as well.
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby PaulJay » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:31 pm

All are beautiful specimens, That Scott Walker looks like Barry Sless's . Could you tell me what pick-up is used in the middle position of that guitar. Thanks Paul
PaulJay
Billy
Billy

Postby jalevinemd » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:59 pm

The middle pickup is a single coil Super Distortion. I believe it's the SDS-1.
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby jenkins » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:26 pm

How do you like your SDS-1 for the middle pup on that walker?

I have a les Paul DC(double cutaway). It has a small body and 24 frets so there wasn't really room for a third super 2 in the middle so I went with the SDS-1 and I couldn't be happier. Jerry said he used his middle pup 90% of the time on single coil mode so I figured what the hell, may as well just out a single coil in there.
On my LP it nails the Jerry tone. It has a nice fat tone and a lot of clarity.

In the late 70's on wolf Jerry had super distortions correct? And an SDS-1 on the neck.
So a single SDS-1 in the middle is pretty much the same thing as he did on wolf most of the time anyways, playing with his super distortion split to single coil.

Do you like the sds1 in the middle or would you rather have a super II to split?

I've never regretted once putting that SDS-1 in the middle, I was a little scared it wasn't gonna sound right but when it was finished I was majorly impressed and would not change it at this point
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby playingdead » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:40 pm

Nice guitars!

You should give Scott a call, he can split a Super II into a single coil for you if you don't like the SDS-1.

Here's my current stable of Jerry axes:

Walker Santa Cruz (swamp ash, Brazilian fingerboard, Lollar full-size single coils, Cutler buffer, Walker blaster, effects loop)

Walker Special (spalted maple over rosewood, Brazilian fingerboard, Lollar Imperial, Super II, Duncan Lil '59, Wald buffer, Walker blaster, effects loop

Rez Tiger (cocobolo over maple, rewired by Brawer, 3 Super IIs, Wald buffer, effects loop)

Moriarty Wolf (quilted maple over purpleheart, 2 Super IIs, SDS-1, Wald buffer, effects loop)

playingdead

Postby paulinnc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:44 pm

playingdead wrote:Nice guitars!

You should give Scott a call, he can split a Super II into a single coil for you if you don't like the SDS-1.

Here's my current stable of Jerry axes:

Walker Santa Cruz (swamp ash, Brazilian fingerboard, Lollar full-size single coils, Cutler buffer, Walker blaster, effects loop)

Walker Special (spalted maple over rosewood, Brazilian fingerboard, Lollar Imperial, Super II, Duncan Lil '59, Wald buffer, Walker blaster, effects loop

Rez Tiger (cocobolo over maple, rewired by Brawer, 3 Super IIs, Wald buffer, effects loop)

Moriarty Wolf (quilted maple over purpleheart, 2 Super IIs, SDS-1, Wald buffer, effects loop)

Do you play these guitars in your band or just sell them or both?
paulinnc

Postby playingdead » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:18 pm

The Walker Special and the Resurrection are my personal guitars that I had built before I started the shop. I have played the Resurrection with Playing Dead since I had it built in 2006. The Walker Special I had built in 2010; I have done a few gigs with Playing Dead with it but I haven't got the wiring where I want it. In fact, I just had it rewired and I'm picking it up tomorrow. When it's right, it could easily become my primary Grateful Dead guitar, and I would let the Resurrection go to a new home. What I like about it is it would also be useful for the original project I want to put together, as it doesn't shout "GARCIA!" onstage, and it is also tonally versatile as you can change it from a Strat setup to a Les Paul setup with the flip of a toggle. I also like having it here as it's a good example of the work Scott can do if anybody comes in wanting to build a boutique electric.

The Wolf and the Walker Santa Cruz are both preowned inventory guitars, but they are both in near-mint condition. I have taken each out on gigs, carefully (I would not do that with a brand new or consigned guitar). The Wolf is a fantastic guitar. I traded for it knowing it would be very difficult to find a new home for, and I am okay with that. It plays so well.

The Walker Santa Cruz is a killer guitar, it's not a Jerry guitar, per se, in terms of electronics, but with the adjustable boost on there, and the effects loop, it's a killer stage guitar. That one is reasonably priced for a Walker and some lefty should pounce on it. It's a great guitar. That booster turns your amp into effectively a two-channel amp ... set it for a little breakup without the booster and then kick it on and drive the amp hard. I use it with a two-channel PRS amp head (I am a PRS dealer as well), and it's like having a four-channel amp with one guitar. Scott has been evolving his boost circuit since the guitar was built in 2009 and we changed it out a few months ago for his latest version and it works great. I had someone from CT come look at it a few days ago ... he really dug it but then he fell for a new PRS Custom 24 and bought that instead. I can't blame him ... those are terrific guitars.
playingdead

Postby jenkins » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:36 pm

So that ressurection was required by brawer himself?

So that's an exact copy of the tiger wiring?

That's so fuckin awesome that you got it wired by the man himself
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby jalevinemd » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:34 am

jenkins wrote:How do you like your SDS-1 for the middle pup on that walker?

It's perfect for me in that position. I've got coil taps on the two Super II's, so I get a very nice 4th position strat sound (which I've always loved) when I need it. I really like the SDS-1 because it doesn't sound quite as weak and trebly as a lot of single coils I've played. I admittedly don't play much GD stuff. I've just always loved the man's guitars. I'll post some better pics of the guitars this weekend.
jalevinemd
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby jenkins » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:06 am

Personally I can't say enough about how much I love the SDS-1 in the middle position, thing sounds fkn sick an it's very Jerry.

To me it sounds like jerry 1977 when he was using the bean with p90 soapbar single coils.
Dimarzio describes it as basically their answer to the p90, it's a great pup and I can see why walker puts them in the middle position of his guitars.
I also have super II's bridge and neck and I love the 2nd and 4th positions for certain songs.
I love the second position with the bridge on humbucker and the middle single, it's got some twang and some balls to go with it.

Right now I'm planning a guitar that's gonna be my version of his bean, I'm gonna have 3 SDS-1's, no humbuckers. And I'm gonna have 3 on off switches and the OBEL with an on/off toggle and a blaster. I think it's gonna kick ass, kinda like a super strat, which is what I would call most of Jerry's guitars, super strats lol.

But damn I want one of those walkers!!! Those things are fucking sick; guy knows how to build a guitar!!
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Postby TI4-1009 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:12 am

Vic- what's the bridge on the Raz Tiger? Looks harmonica-ish, but not exactly?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion