Pedal swap?

Chat about Equipment Info

Pedal swap?

Postby NSP » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:55 am

Alright, not sure if anyone will want to go along with this propostion....but,

Here's my situation. I have a gig next weekend for a private birthday party and my Qtron Plus has issues and I sent it back for warranty repair. So, I am without an envelope filter and the guy who hired us gave me a list of tunes they'd love to hear which includes Estimated and Shakedown.

What I'm wondering is if anyone would consider lending me their EF for the gig? MutronIII, Haz Mutron, Qtron, other? I would of course reimburse shipping cost.

What's in it for you, you may be wondering? Well I was thinking in return I'd offer one of my pedals for someone to try out the following week. So, if you've wanted to try out an Earth Drive, MXR Carbon Copy, Phase90, or Boss octave, I'd send you mine to check out for a couple of days.

Anyone interested?
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Re: Pedal swap?

Postby tigger » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:43 pm

You might consider buying one from Guitar Center and returning it, as long as you don't spill a beer on it or anything.
(I would ONLY suggest doing this to GC, not a store that actually deserves business)
tigger
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby NSP » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:18 pm

tigger wrote:You might consider buying one from Guitar Center and returning it, as long as you don't spill a beer on it or anything.
(I would ONLY suggest doing this to GC, not a store that actually deserves business)

That's a really good idea, I think I'll check it out. And yes, I share your feeling on GC.
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Jon S. » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:59 am

If you don't like GC don't shop there but this is an awful idea. The ability to try their wares risk-free is one of the reasons the many of us who do buy things there do. When a person knowingly abuses this privilege, it doesn't merely hurt GC alone (not that being dishonest to GC and its employees alone is itself acceptable), it hurts the rest of us who shop there, too, because the costs of your actions are passed on to us. It also may lead to us being less willing to lend gear to strangers such as yourself and others regardless of GC.

Do you have a backup guitar and amp? Perhaps it's time now to also invest in a backup pedal.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Dwarf Rat » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:03 am

Doubling up makes good sense.i have a mini and micro and two small stones.
Dwarf Rat
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby redeyedjim » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:41 am

PM sent
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby NSP » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks to all for your kindness, I did find a solution.

Peace,

-Tim
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby tigerstrat » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:33 pm

"Pedal swap" is a cool idea for a sticky thread imho. A place where you can see what someone else might give you any pedals that you don't use.

I actually think tunes like Estimated, Shakedown , FOTM, if played well, suffer very little if at all when done without the EF effect. If my Mu failed, I'd probably sub in some distortion and phase and just go for it.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Mr.Burns » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:47 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread, but here goes...

Guitar Center is the Wal Mart of music stores, and apparently will hire any mook that looks like a trendy a-hole(are visible tattoos a prerequisite?). I shopped there once. I bought a used amp head. I still have it. Some years ago I also used a Sam Ash store to test drive a used cab that belonged to an employee I met there while shopping new cabs. A few days later he had me bring it in the store, and act like it was mine, and that I was trying to trade my gear in on some new gear. I set up, played through the cab at a generous volume, then acted like I changed my mind. He then helped me load my gear along with the cab into my car, I paid him and away I went, Sam Ash none the wiser. This would be considered far more offensive to a retail store than returning an item because you don't like it. Remember their motto is the customer is always right. Some faceless retail giants can't be cared for or respected, even by their own employees. I hear cries of Sympathy for the Devil, but it's a fact of capitalist life. I've worked in retail, and I became skilled in re-packing display model and returned TVs to appear "factory packed". This is an industry term, and intentionally deceptive. These TVs are then represented as "new". We used to joke about wearing our Saturday night shirts to the deliveries because somebody was gonna get screwed. The giants know all about this kind of stuff and they can't be bothered because they're too busy paying consultants to tell them to sell more imported entry and mid-level instruments and laughing all the way to the bank.

Remember that cool independent music store that you liked to go to way back when? Guitar Center and the like killed it without mercy.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby joethepainter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:29 pm

NSP wrote:Thanks to all for your kindness, I did find a solution.

Peace,

-Tim

Glad to hear it, good luck with your gig!
Mr.Burns wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread, but here goes...

Guitar Center is the Wal Mart of music stores, and apparently will hire any mook that looks like a trendy a-hole(are visible tattoos a prerequisite?). I shopped there once. I bought a used amp head. I still have it. Some years ago I also used a Sam Ash store to test drive a used cab that belonged to an employee I met there while shopping new cabs. A few days later he had me bring it in the store, and act like it was mine, and that I was trying to trade my gear in on some new gear. I set up, played through the cab at a generous volume, then acted like I changed my mind. He then helped me load my gear along with the cab into my car, I paid him and away I went, Sam Ash none the wiser. This would be considered far more offensive to a retail store than returning an item because you don't like it. Remember their motto is the customer is always right. Some faceless retail giants can't be cared for or respected, even by their own employees. I hear cries of Sympathy for the Devil, but it's a fact of capitalist life. I've worked in retail, and I became skilled in re-packing display model and returned TVs to appear "factory packed". This is an industry term, and intentionally deceptive. These TVs are then represented as "new". We used to joke about wearing our Saturday night shirts to the deliveries because somebody was gonna get screwed. The giants know all about this kind of stuff and they can't be bothered because they're too busy paying consultants to tell them to sell more imported entry and mid-level instruments and laughing all the way to the bank.

Remember that cool independent music store that you liked to go to way back when? Guitar Center and the like killed it without mercy.

Whatever.
The fact is, what tigger suggested
tigger wrote:You might consider buying one from Guitar Center and returning it, as long as you don't spill a beer on it or anything.

is dishonest. That is all.

Now, this has the potential to be an interesting thread!...
tigerstrat wrote:"Pedal swap" is a cool idea for a sticky thread imho. A place where you can see what someone else might give you any pedals that you don't use.

I actually think tunes like Estimated, Shakedown , FOTM, if played well, suffer very little if at all when done without the EF effect. If my Mu failed, I'd probably sub in some distortion and phase and just go for it.
joethepainter
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby alexemil5 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:29 am

No doubt, mini and micro are the great choice...

plagiarismsoftware.org/
Last edited by alexemil5 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.
alexemil5
welcome
welcome

Postby keirweir » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:04 pm

tigerstrat wrote:"Pedal swap" is a cool idea for a sticky thread imho. A place where you can see what someone else might give you any pedals that you don't use.

+1

My first gig ever we we're opening the 2nd set with The Wall. Just as we were getting it going I stepped on my delay pedal (obviously The Wall requires HEAVY delay to get that effect) and it didn't work. I went through clean and made the best of it. Gear fails suck so bad.
keirweir

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion