WOS 2x12 (?)

WOS 2x12 (?)

Postby mgbills » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:45 am

I sure hope this isn't a repeat post. Maverick does have one of the TB500's. They seem connected...

http://www.maverick-music.com/vintage-amps/1973-grateful-dead-wall-of-sound-cabinet-signed-by-owsley

Looks like E's in there, which would not be period correct.

Thoughts?
Peace
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Re: WOS 2x12 (?)

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:11 am

TI4-1009 wrote:Here's what Owsley said about old WOS stuff:

On collecting the Dead’s old Wall of Sound amps and cabinets:
•I hate to pop your bubble, but...The cabinet you bought is basically a nostalgia piece, something to brag about owning not using. It is just antique rubbish. It is not suitable for guitar, and was used only in a specially assembled line radiator. Moreover, if it is really one of the ones used in the system it is probably worn out- worthless even for that purpose. We replaced cabinets frequently during the life of the array- but ceased doing that toward the end. Any left are likely not good."

viewtopic.php?f=309&t=12451&hilit=wall+of+sound
Tennessee Jedi

Postby mgbills » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:40 am

Yea. I remember that post. Which makes some sense if they're E's. I've asked for a shot of the back. They also probably want a bundle, based on the percieved provenance.

I'm not intested in the piece. I was more or less just presenting it for discussion.
mgbills

Postby gr8fullfred » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:41 am

The "real" WOS speakers did not have tie dyed speaker covers. At least not when I saw it. This still could be an original cabinet, but might not be one that "toured".
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby mgbills » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:48 am

That was my recollection as well. I can't remember ever seeing a speaker cover (not that I've seen anything but pictures).

It isn't out of the realm of possibility that the cover was added. It would be nice to get more background. Is that The Bear's signature? Has anyone heard of him referring to himself as Cosmic Bear? Did it come from inside the GD family?
mgbills

Postby Jerry1996x » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:22 pm

Im not sure if it was early WOS era, or maybe a bit earlier, but there is a post somewhere on here with a link to a bunch of pics that i believe you can see some cabs with tie dye covers. Im pretty sure you can get to them through Dozin.
Jerry1996x
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby gr8fullfred » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:23 pm

We replaced cabinets frequently during the life of the array- but ceased doing that toward the end. Any left are likely not good."

Ok I am going to call that quote outright BS right here and now. The cabinet pictured is a 2x12 (or maybe a 2x15). Those cabinets do not wear out, there is nothing on them to wear out. Now if the crew drops the cab from a high distance, then yes you will need to replace the cabinet. Other than damage, I doubt that they regularly replaced cabinets. BS on that. It was driving them broke just haul the WOS around, I can't imagine that they were replacing 2x12 and 2x15 cabs. Knowing them, they were replacing 2x12 cabinets with 2x15 cabs.

Simply tragic, if its true that the WOL went to the landfill. Lord knows I would be proud to own any part of the WOS.
From what I heard, alot of the WOL went to other bands in the bay area.

Apparently Buddy Cage was playing with one, there was a thread on that and I think I posted a pic from the bearsville theater probably two years ago. This thread has the pic of Buddy and his 2x12:
viewtopic.php?f=419&t=9912&p=93504&hilit
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby Dwarf Rat » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:26 pm

John Derby of San Francisco had some WOS cabinets he picked up in the 70s. He may still have them, but I haven't seen him in30+ years.
Dwarf Rat
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby zambiland » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:31 pm

From what I understand, including conversations with Big Steve, it wasn't the cabs that ended up in landfills but the tie-dye speaker covers. They were faded and in tatters by the time they were tossed. The cabinets ended up in dozens of bands in the Bay Area.
zambiland

Postby gr8fullfred » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:05 pm

again, the WOS did not have tie dyed speaker covers. As far as I can tell, they had NO speaker covers, at least not when set up. And I doubt they put the tie dyed covers on them just for the ride in the truck.

Watch the Grateful Dead Movie, do you see any tie dyed speaker covers on the WOS?

Is there one photo of the WOS set up with tie dyed speaker covers? (apparently there is not)

I saw it several times, RFK, Roosevelt Stadium, The Glen, no tie dyed speaker covers.

The evidence suggests that the WOS never had speaker covers. Might have had covers they used in shipping, but not in operation, as far as I can tell. Would love to see a pic of the WOS with tie dye covers.

Before the WOS, they had a bunch of Fender gear all tie dyed up real nice. This stuff was their back line, not the PA.
Black face and tiedyed, there are pics of that around.
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby waldo041 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:48 pm

The Wall of Sound evolved and like anything that evolves, it had a beginning. Well, at the beginning of the W.O.S it DID use the Tie Dye covers. Evidence shows from this Guitar Player of Rick Turner when he was with Alembic. Although it was not as big or looked anything like the W.O.S. as it ended up becoming, it was the infancy of it. Fender backline gone, and Alembic/Hardtrucker cabs in place.

Wall of Sound 1973

Wall of Sound 1974

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby gr8fullfred » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:03 pm

Waldo,

Actually if you look at the pics, the WOS monitor system still does not have tie dyed speaker covers.
It is the back line stuff that has the tie dye, not the wall of sound monitor system (best I can tell).

This is obviously an early prototype-ish stage, looks like they are trying out a smaller version of the real thing to see how/if it works. Great Photos! But the WOS has no or almost no tie dye.
Last edited by gr8fullfred on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby willmusic » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:31 pm

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure I saw what could only be early ht cabs with tie dye used as monitors in Europe in 72. These weren't used as backline, obviously pre WOS, and they were placed on angled wooden floor stands. I'm guessing these could be the cabs in Waldo's pics, or at least some of them. Since they didn't need floor monitors anymore, perhaps then a little cross utilization was necessary?
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby TI4-1009 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:50 pm

Which Alembic guitar was Jerry playing (in addition to Alligator) at that time??? Was it the elusive Peanut?
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby willmusic » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:07 pm

WOS period was Wolf. Peanut was 71. Pretty sure the guitar pictured in the article is Jerry's first Irwin.
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Next

Return to Jerry Tone