Twin reverb with an attenuator - Garcia

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Twin reverb with an attenuator - Garcia

Postby mijknahs » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:08 pm

Mosfed wrote:I decided to approach the problem a little more logically and bought an amp that had the output I needed rather than trying to go ass backwards and put reins on a larger amp.

I got a 1973 Bandmaster Reverb (pre-master volume), brought it back to Blackface AB-763 (but with a tube rectifier) and plugged it into a custom cab with 2 x 12" JBL D-120s.

HEAVEN

Thanks for all the responses.

Sweet! Glad you got it figured out.

I was reading all the posts and was going to say just get a good Twin. I enjoy mine as a preamp paired with a Mac or as the normal combo or as a combo with 2 power tubes pulled. It all sounds good as long as it's going through some JBLs.
mijknahs

Postby wisedyes » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:59 am

So I was curious; does anybody have any experience with using a Fender "The Twin" amp (NOT a Twin Reverb) that has the 1/4 power switch down to 25 watts for this? For whatever reason, there is a sudden rash of them on craigslist in my area (Richmond, VA), some at what I consider extremely good deals.
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby Smolder » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:17 am

mijknahs wrote:
Mosfed wrote:I decided to approach the problem a little more logically and bought an amp that had the output I needed rather than trying to go ass backwards and put reins on a larger amp.

I got a 1973 Bandmaster Reverb (pre-master volume), brought it back to Blackface AB-763 (but with a tube rectifier) and plugged it into a custom cab with 2 x 12" JBL D-120s.

HEAVEN

Thanks for all the responses.

Sweet! Glad you got it figured out.

I was reading all the posts and was going to say just get a good Twin. I enjoy mine as a preamp paired with a Mac or as the normal combo or as a combo with 2 power tubes pulled. It all sounds good as long as it's going through some JBLs.

The beauty of the twin, so often over looked, is that with JBL's the amp sounds remarkably the same whether on 2.5 or 8. It is one of the few amps that has a consistent range and the volume know really does control the volume. Granted, it's heavy, but there is a lot of flexibility there.
Smolder

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion