Sarno Music Solutions!

Re: Sarno Music Solutions!

Postby TRG » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:47 pm

I also like the reverb on the SMS...and I'm just coming from using a twin with spring, so I do have something to compare to. The SMS reverb sounds great!
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tcsned » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:05 pm

+1 on the reverb. It sounds great and holds up really well at stage volumes. Don't miss a spring reverb at all.
tcsned

Postby cmc64 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:40 am

TRG wrote:
mgbills wrote:Sorry to be thick TRG...

Is the ED between the guitar output & the SMS?

Guitar (OBeL) > ED > SMS > Mc
↓↑
Pedals (Mu, Oct, etc)

In other words out of the effects loop?

Thanks. Been thinking about a 2nd ED to replace my MXR Dist +
Peace
M

No worries, I was just trying to call out the ED pedal to keep in context of the conversation. My ED is in the effects loop with my other pedals.

So Guitar > Pedals > SMS > MC

TRG wrote:I have an MXR Dist + too and just wish it didn't color the tone the way it does. Maybe a second ED is the answer! :-)

I have been wanting an ED (and of course the SMS) for so long - the savings account is growing...

But for the purposes of this post - which MXR D+ do you have? I have a block logo late 70's version (the brown mustard colored one) - I need to get the serial numbers from the pots so I can tie down an exact date - when I originally picked it up the seller told me he bought it in 1978 or 1979 - he couldn't remember. But a few days ago I procured an utterly pristine 1975 Script logo D+ (has the "hand built by guitar players" on the board) - I did a visual comparison between the two and while they both have almost the exact same layout of components on the board, the chip is different and a few caps and resistors are as well. I can post pics if anyone is interested.

Anyway when I plugged in I was immediately taken by how different the two sounded. The Script version has a flat frequency response and is quite transparent. Almost no tone coloration at all. Very smooth sounding - not harsh, bright or in any way unpleasant. I liked the former pedal but was not knocked out by it - the Script version nailed it. I am very happy with this pedal now and I can not imagine it ever leaving my pedal board.

Sorry for jumping off topic in this thread - the MXR reference just grabbed my attention due to my recent change-up.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby mgbills » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:19 am

On that topic, I was on the big Goof-off last night with the ED & the MXR Dist +. I have the Block/Mustard Box that dates (by pots) to '78 ish. I thought I remembered reading that this was before the major changes...but I've never loved the thing. Sounds buzzy/fuzzy. Recognizable, but inelegant.

I played with a bunch of settings (again) on the ED. My son was playing my Mesa amp in the background. I thought the ED won, but was very close to the Marshall-esque setting on the TA-15 (if we attempted to match the amound of Drive/Gain in each signal). But ...for the light touch, or slight break quality, the ED wins ...hands down.

On another note...I recently cranked the trim-pot on the back of the SMS. I'm now observing a cool secondary effect. Bringing on the middle Super 2 as a humbucker adds just a touch of dirt, instead of just fatness & volume. I need to experiment further, but that was my perception last night.

Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby TRG » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:17 am

cmc64 wrote:
TRG wrote:
mgbills wrote:Sorry to be thick TRG...

Is the ED between the guitar output & the SMS?

Guitar (OBeL) > ED > SMS > Mc
↓↑
Pedals (Mu, Oct, etc)

In other words out of the effects loop?

Thanks. Been thinking about a 2nd ED to replace my MXR Dist +
Peace
M

No worries, I was just trying to call out the ED pedal to keep in context of the conversation. My ED is in the effects loop with my other pedals.

So Guitar > Pedals > SMS > MC

TRG wrote:I have an MXR Dist + too and just wish it didn't color the tone the way it does. Maybe a second ED is the answer! :-)

I have been wanting an ED (and of course the SMS) for so long - the savings account is growing...

But for the purposes of this post - which MXR D+ do you have? I have a block logo late 70's version (the brown mustard colored one) - I need to get the serial numbers from the pots so I can tie down an exact date - when I originally picked it up the seller told me he bought it in 1978 or 1979 - he couldn't remember. But a few days ago I procured an utterly pristine 1975 Script logo D+ (has the "hand built by guitar players" on the board) - I did a visual comparison between the two and while they both have almost the exact same layout of components on the board, the chip is different and a few caps and resistors are as well. I can post pics if anyone is interested.

Anyway when I plugged in I was immediately taken by how different the two sounded. The Script version has a flat frequency response and is quite transparent. Almost no tone coloration at all. Very smooth sounding - not harsh, bright or in any way unpleasant. I liked the former pedal but was not knocked out by it - the Script version nailed it. I am very happy with this pedal now and I can not imagine it ever leaving my pedal board.

Sorry for jumping off topic in this thread - the MXR reference just grabbed my attention due to my recent change-up.

I have the "newer" yellow block letter D+, that I bought within the last 10 years. Would love to get an original script version.
TRG
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:27 am

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:10 am

+1 on the SMS reverb! It's excellent!
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby mgbills » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:46 am

Whirlwind seems intriguing. I need to do some audio research to fill my ears with the different iterations of Jer's use of Distortion.

Anyone have a quick set of shows/tunes/etc which highlight the changes? I've only been playing electric in a serious way for a couple of years, and I'm really trying to get a handle on this...but it takes so much freakin' time.

Thanks
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby ccw3432 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:18 am

Tanks for the responses on the reverb.
ccw3432
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Quarterpounder » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm loving my new SMS and ED. The SMS gets warmer all the time. I have been breaking it in with my Boss DD-7 looper playing GD riffs for long hours at a time. The reverb is really good. I have since unplugged my EV rackmount spring reverb, Malekko Spring and Tech 21 RVB. The Sarno verb simply takes care of it with no muss or fuss. I also like my Klon Clone to add a little magic. Klon to ED, both on or either separate sounds great. All combinations sound really too good to believe. I have been going between a McIntosh 2125 and a Peavey Classic 60 into a Weber Cali. The Peavey is more suitable for bedroom jamming, but the Mac takes it to a very special place(but a bit loud). I have brand new neighbors. Great timing. I hope they like the Dead!
Quarterpounder
tiger
tiger

Postby WildEye » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Brad, I LOVE THE ED PEDAL!!!! I have nothing new to add that hasn't already been said except maybe it exceeded my expectations (I have two children under two and it seems there's never a right time to play at the right volume). So I thank you (and my wife thanks you too). :cool: :cool: :cool:

And on my tiger-strat it really evens out the highs without losing the "growl" on the E/A strings and keeps the tone intact. Brilliant!!! :-) :-) :-)
WildEye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby cmc64 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:46 pm

I just picked up a Mesa Mark IIB head to go with my JBL K-120 2x12 (JGB Feb -> March 1980 time - WooHoo!) - anyway, i was having an issue with my effects pedals sending a loud popping noise through my speakers when I would hit the footswitches - never happened with any other amp. Called Mesa - honestly they weren't the least bit helpful and not very nice either. Called Mr. Sarno - he was busy but said he would call me back and he did - explained to me what was going on (most likely DC voltage getting into the signal path, probably from the Mu-Tron III, but who knows without testing) - gave me some suggestions on things to try , check for voltage leaks with a multimeter, take pedals out of the loop, etc - eliminate the variables basically.

Point is he took the time to talk to me (I am an electronics dummy), point me in the right direction and told me to get back in touch with a progress report if help was still needed. All around great guy, super nice, really helpful.

Thanks Brad! Cheers!
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby calbucks09 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:34 am

Hey all. Have been inspired by this forum to throw together a jerry rig as well.

But now i'm a bit puzzled as I'm not getting anything like the tones and sounds that everyone else seems to be getting.

Looking for any theories on wht might be the root cause.

Here's what I've acquired:

SMS CTP just arrived > Mesa 50/50 > 1x JBL k120

pedals: Keeley modded blues pedal (boss)

Guitar: amer. strat w/ seymour duncans (not a jerry guitar at all, that would be the next step)

anyway, i was so excited to finally plug all this in this week after the SMS arrived. But am chagrinned with the result. I'm getting a not very good tone. Its fat, but with zero clarity... none of the 'sparkle' people talk about. sadly my fender blues deluxe reissue sounds 10x better! something has to be very wrong with something here, no?

I know the SMS has a breakin period, but could it really sound this muddy ? it is MUDDY. The JBL i got off ebay and the seller claims it was original, never used.... but i always assumed it was a recone. Could it be the jbl?

Thanks for any theories. Sad to spend $1800 and be happier with the blues deluxe i got for $650
calbucks09
tiger
tiger

Postby mijknahs » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:47 am

calbucks09 wrote:Hey all. Have been inspired by this forum to throw together a jerry rig as well.

But now i'm a bit puzzled as I'm not getting anything like the tones and sounds that everyone else seems to be getting.

Looking for any theories on wht might be the root cause.

Here's what I've acquired:

SMS CTP just arrived > Mesa 50/50 > 1x JBL k120

pedals: Keeley modded blues pedal (boss)

Guitar: amer. strat w/ seymour duncans (not a jerry guitar at all, that would be the next step)

anyway, i was so excited to finally plug all this in this week after the SMS arrived. But am chagrinned with the result. I'm getting a not very good tone. Its fat, but with zero clarity... none of the 'sparkle' people talk about. sadly my fender blues deluxe reissue sounds 10x better! something has to be very wrong with something here, no?

I know the SMS has a breakin period, but could it really sound this muddy ? it is MUDDY. The JBL i got off ebay and the seller claims it was original, never used.... but i always assumed it was a recone. Could it be the jbl?

Thanks for any theories. Sad to spend $1800 and be happier with the blues deluxe i got for $650

Can you change the speaker with the one from the Blues Deluxe just to check?

With the SMS - Mesa 50/50 - JBL K120, I would think that you might complain that your tone was too bright or too sparkley!
mijknahs

Postby eric » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:55 am

Something is def wrong. Muddy is the exact opposite of what you should be getting ... Speaker may be seized up ...
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone