All of jerry's guitar wiring diagrams close but wrong.

Re: All of jerry's guitar wiring diagrams close but wrong.

Postby TI4-1009 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:03 am

barefootdave wrote:Jim, nice playing and singing in the vids posted above.

+1 Nice stuff!
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby WildEye » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:04 pm

+1 as well - I heard it live and was still surprised when Jim said he played the middle in series...
WildEye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby milobender » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:35 pm

I think the issue is simply using the guitar's volume control properly for the series setting... I would bet Jim had it about 65 - 75%? Jim? :-)
IO Custom Guitars
www.iocustomguitars.com
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby mijknahs » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:49 pm

milobender wrote:I think the issue is simply using the guitar's volume control properly for the series setting... I would bet Jim had it about 65 - 75%? Jim? :-)

Since I have the buffer, I normally play with the guitar volume at about 60% up (this is when I normally am using the middle in split coil mode). I would boost it up to maybe 75% up during the solo.

Using the middle in series I would probably lower the volume 10% of my normal settings. Or I might just turn the preamp (Fender Twin) down a tiny bit.

I still use the middle in split mode normally. I'll change it to series if I want to sound more "old school" like '79-'80 type of sound. My favorite is the '82 JGB sound though. Think Saddlerack, San Jose CA (3/7/82) or Music Mountain, South Fallsburg NY (6/16/82).

Jim
mijknahs

Postby lunasparks » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:59 pm

[/quote] Hey brad yes we are missing a little something. Jerry had mid pup wired between parallel and split not series on wolf,tiger. Rosebud same except parallel neck pup. If you want to doubt me just wire one up in parallel even middle. Leave your tone knob and everything else same as if you were doin a clean lead. It's to the tee touch of grey,bertha,terrapin chord intros muffled flat yet second cleanist and both coils are active. Two way it's been done on earlier Tigers the push pull tone knobs 500/250 swith 250=single mode and pull 500/parallel.
Yes you guys are correct everything publish on the net is based around a fender single coil and switched to it from standard series humbuckers. I assume the extra HB wrapping around aka insulator adds to an even super clean dp104 turned to single.
As mention above to achieve parallel you don't need a push/pull nor sp3t switch you just need an extra jumper beside your spst switch. I hard wire my bridge HB to always parallel and hard wired my mid HB to single always and can switch the 2 pups from apex ground switch. eg Strummin singing touch in parrallell and click mid pup swith to HB single coil for lead sound phenominal. I you have haven't strummed a parrallell than don't knock it. Just turn the tone up a tab. My bridge pup blend's with an under shaller bridgepiezo hooked to a blend knob just to give a slight Cripe acoustic edge.
The only assumption or hint that jer used two pups at once was the explaination of the mid pup being reverse wired and flipped to be magnetically in phase.
Give it a try you'll be shocked.
hawk.[/quote]

hawk - do you have any clips/recordings you could post that provides the parallel/split single wiring, esp. the Jerry strum in parallel? Based on all of the work done by these guys here, it's hard to believe that waldo/Brad/others are mistaken about Jerry's actual wiring ... that said, I'd be interested in what you're hearing that has you convinced. Also, I feel like somewhere around late-80s there's something different in Jerry's tone that is most noticeable in the strum for things, as you mentioned, like Terrapin intro, UJB, Touch. It drives me crazy trying to get it with split single coil/mid. I just feel like I can't get late 80s/early 90s strum to sound quite right. His tone almost seems to be "fuzzier" to me, different than early- to mid-80s. Maybe there's something different going on that you're hearing...maybe?

Hope no one loses it on me for wanting to hear out Mr. hawk! :smile:
lunasparks
Billy
Billy

Postby cmc64 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:25 am

Ok guys - here it is. Seeing this thread pop up again and what has happened to me recently has decided me to change my mind against going public but this thread has to be put to bed and maybe this upcoming comment will finally bring about a response from this character known as hawk900.

To put it in as simple terms as I possibly can, hawk900 is out of his fucking mind. Many of you on this board may has seen his posts about his McIntosh MC2100 and all of upgrades he performed on it. Well he put it up for sale and I bought it. When it arrived DOA I attempted to contact him by phone and email but he has not responded in two weeks. I took the amp to a local shop that works on vintage electronics (and they are quite familiar with McIntosh gear). They called me up a few hours later and had me come check out the amp. They didn't dig too deep because what they found on the surface (and showed me when I came in) was disturbing enough. First, his upgrades. My soldering skills are amateur at best. What was done to this amp can be called nothing short of a hack job. The thing is a wreck. The wiring to the power transformers is missing. So even if the map worked it was NEVER going to power up. The left channel sound card - the output transistors shorted and the card is burnt to a crisp. The two thermal cutouts are missing as well. When the power transformers had current applied to them it became clear that while the right channel does work (although it makes a loud buzzing sound) the left channel began to billow smoke. That is where we stopped.

He and I had daily contact until the amp was delivered. He then of course dropped off the face of the earth. He told me he has been in and out of hospital due to injuries to his hand and he told another member that his hospitalization was due to intestinal problems.

This guy is nuts. He is also a liar and a cheat. At the moment the decision is up to paypal - as he has refused to respond to all forms of contact I have no choice but to escalate the dispute to a claim (which I am bout to do). Hopefully they will do the right thing. I am already out $517 and after relaying the issue to Terry DeWick it appears that I am looking at about $650 to bring it back to life (and that is if the problems I relayed above are the only issues).

I feel sick after writing this. I don't like bringing these issues into a public forum. I don't make a lot of money. And I'm fucked (hopefully just temporarily). And as I watch this absurd thread prattle on - enough is enough. I suppose I am a bit biased but hawk900 is wacked, Mike Wald knows what he's talking about and let's call it a day.

Please.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby mkaufman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:50 am

This is a very unfortunate story. I feel your pain.

Regarding the 2100, I bought a really nice one for around $500. Here are some examples of recenty eBy sales:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... mplete%3D1

They're out there. Be patient and good luck! I hope it all works out for you.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://www.advantech-ny.com/DellComputerWarranty/
mkaufman

Postby Mr.Burns » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:18 am

I wondered about Mr. Hawk when I saw the pic of his "SG". The first words that came to mind were "hack job". Literally, because of the routing. Then I thought, who could possibly do that to an SG? Which leads me to believe its really a G400. And I wondered why an "expert" would rewire the entire guitar with all those strange "mods", and only use two(I think it was only two) colors of wire?
I hope that PayPal resolves this issue quickly and effectively for you.
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby eric » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:39 pm

I am truly sorry to hear your story. In all the gear Ive ever EB'd or CL'd, I've never come across anything even remotely as horrible as that . I hope PP does the right thing. And I believe your suspicions of him being a con artist are correct.

Not tryin to be the Internet po-po here....But ...

Months ago , he posted links to some of his videos. You could clearly see things were amiss. His guitar cavity looked like it had been routed with a chainsaw ( no lie) . He also said that his axe was an old SG , yet my eyes see Epi on the headstock . At the time , I wrote a not so nice post to him, basically calling him out as being completely full of shit on every level. He also claimed to be a highly sought after Dead guitar virtuoso in his area. Yet his videos clearly showed the skill of someone playing for less than 6 months, and horribly out of tune at that. Everything from his 3 buffer guitar that splits North-south-east-west, 12 ways from Tuesday, all the while shooting out a Jerry Hologram. He claimed to be hiding his E120 Russian Birch cab behind his couch....And all I could see was on oldschool Line 6 Pod for fx, no rack there...Lately hes been trying to get info on how to wire up a E120 4x12 stack for a big gig coming up ...Sure

I again called him out as a shady character in the Sarno thread as well, ( page 15 ish) yet I later rescinded and deleted my entire posts to him because his response prompted me to feel like I was being a complete asshole. I actually felt really bad about it and offered him my sincerest apology. I thought he was literally illiterate , and how could I rip on a guy who can't even spell basic words? Id have to be a serious DB...

I'm not trying to personally attack the man here , but your personal misfortune in dealing with this joker says it all. Once again , I hope you get your coin back brother.
Last edited by eric on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby zambiland » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:00 pm

Jason Lee?
zambiland

Postby eric » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Some more of my hazy memory , don't quote me here ..

He claimed a ridiculous amount of serious gear at HIS store/shop. Yet when I did some basic research ( ie Google) to check out all this killer gear , it just didn't exist... It seemed he pulled his fake store name from the name of some folky ish band close to his area, that he was def not a member of...just more total BS. Total freaking BS.

I would bet 99.5 % of the guys on this site are strait shooters and good guys when it comes to gear transactions. What a shame ...
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby cmc64 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks for the words of support guys. It is much appreciated. :thumbsup: Hopefully it will all work out. Paypal likes to drag its feet, so when the time comes, I will know. Hopefully a full refund. I have a 2x12 JBL K-120 cab about to show up and I have nothing to drive it with!!
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby WildEye » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:11 pm

That's a bummer man, I really hope you get squared away in the end. +1 to "99.5 % of the guys on this site are strait shooters". For the other .5% there are generally some tells in their posts (like this topics title) :-x
WildEye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:29 pm

I feel bad for ya too. Talk about let downs. Man, oh man. PP does drag it, but they have a good reputation for situations like this so ya will get your coin...might take a while and require documentation from your tech and a photo, but you will get it.

"The w-a-a-a-a-a-i-t-i-n-g is the hardest part"

Interesting, eric, I thought the same thing when I read his post about the big gigs, and how all of a sudden in a rush, he needed all this equiptment really fast. Seemed odd. Now I know why.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:42 pm

WildEye wrote:That's a bummer man, I really hope you get squared away in the end. +1 to "99.5 % of the guys on this site are strait shooters". For the other .5% there are generally some tells in their posts (like this topics title) :-x

+2 to "99.5 % of the guys on this site are strait shooters" I always had to laugh to myself at the topic title. It's so bizzare. Didn't know what to make of it.
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone