Playin- Wah vs. Mutron

Playin- Wah vs. Mutron

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:59 am

So I'm guessing those spacey Playins from early-mid 70s are using the wah, and then Jer went to the Mutron at some point- mid to late 70s? When did he make the switch? Was there any overlap? Which of the current wahs give the best/closest wah tone? There's something special about those earlier Playins- more player-control of the shift, as opposed to the automatic EF shift.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Re: Playin- Wah vs. Mutron

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:52 am

if you're thinking of the early 70s wah tone i think you're thinking of, i imagine you're looking for something like a colorsound. i'd for sure love one of those.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby tigger » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:11 am

He was either using a Vox or Colorsound, but with each of those there are variations.
I have a Vox RI with a drop-in circuit board made by Stuart Castledine (http://www.wah-wah.co.uk/) that is really great.
tigger
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby caspersvapors » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:20 pm

check out Wilson Effects Wahs, they can do almost anything
caspersvapors

Postby caspersvapors » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:18 pm

wilson makes a clone of the colorsound wah

http://wilsoneffects.com/TunableColorfulClone.html

for 185 its a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a vintage colorsound (or any of the other clones on the market) and wilson wahs are spot-on balls accurate in sound (theres video on his youtube channel comparing his pedal to the original) plus its brand new w/more flexible controls AND he has a 20% off sale right through the end of the month

(im no wilson rep, but I have been extensively researching their wahs over the past couple weeks and plan to take advantage of this sale)
caspersvapors

Postby Mosfed » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:40 pm

It was a Mutron wah. This is am interview for Guitar Player in October 1978. It's on Waldo's site

http://www.wald-electronics.com/misc.html

It's meant to be an explanation of the OBEL. Half way down he discusses the wah

"What's the purpose of the two jacks on the front of the Irwin guitars?

That's the one real wiring innovation, a very useful one, It allows me to have all my effects pedals wired to the guitar with the ability to bypass them all with a switch. I use a stereo cord, and the signal goes from the pickups to the tone controls and the pickup switch, and on down the "A" side of the cord to a network box that controls a Mu-tron octave divider, Mu-tron envelope filter, MXR Distortion Plus, MXR phaser, Mu-tron wah-wah, and an analog delay. The signal goes through the devices, back into the network box and up the "B" side of the cord, back into the instrument before the volume pot, and then out to the amp."
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tigger » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:31 pm

The Mutron wah didn't exist in the era the OP is asking about. And it sounds nothing like that.
tigger
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Mosfed » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Wow you sound very sure of yourself - Musitronics was founded in 1972 and the wah (which doubled as a volume pedal) was among their first offerings.

Now I have never heard one. But since it was in his rig by 1978, how can you be so sure that it wasnt there in the mid 70s?
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby cmc64 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:32 pm

The Mu-Tron Vol-Wah Pedal was released in 1977.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby mijknahs » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:55 pm

Jerry was still using the manual wah (whatever brand it was) in the early 80's for the Playin jam. I listen to a lot of 1982 and there is a lot of wah-wah there. Greatest Story too. Seems like by 1985 he is using the MuTron for both Playin Jam and Greatest Story.

Check out this '82/'83 Playin Jam at 1:37
mijknahs

Postby NorthboundRain » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:55 am

I always assumed Jerry used Vox wahs and I think I saw a picture of that long ago but people usually mention the Colorsound when talking about it. Does anyone know when he made that switch?

To my ears the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe in the Vox setting does a good job of capturing an early Jerry wah sound. Equally important is that the Fulltone has a long travel so it's easier to perform the subtle manipulations that are so characteristic of those magical early Playin' jams.
NorthboundRain
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby gpilcher2001 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:28 am

The clyde deluxe wah is the cats meow of wah pedals imo. It also has a colorsound voicing to it. I've read on here somewhere or maybe it was over at dozin that the colorsound was what he used in the early 70's sorry i can't seem to find a link. Greg...
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tigger » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:16 am

Mosfed wrote:Wow you sound very sure of yourself - Musitronics was founded in 1972 and the wah (which doubled as a volume pedal) was among their first offerings.

Now I have never heard one. But since it was in his rig by 1978, how can you be so sure that it wasnt there in the mid 70s?

...because this information can be found with a 5 second google search?
tigger
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:52 am

NorthboundRain wrote:I always assumed Jerry used Vox wahs and I think I saw a picture of that long ago but people usually mention the Colorsound when talking about it. Does anyone know when he made that switch?

To my ears the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe in the Vox setting does a good job of capturing an early Jerry wah sound. Equally important is that the Fulltone has a long travel so it's easier to perform the subtle manipulations that are so characteristic of those magical early Playin' jams.

I've never seen any conclusive proof or testimony that JG used a Vox wah. Jerry's earliest wah usage has never been fully sussed out here, (I still hear it in a certain section of early '69 Dark Stars, ymmv) but it's fairly undeniable on the Sugar Mags of August or September of '70. Photo proof starts in mid '71, and then it is a ColorSound... clear through to 8/27/72 and presumably beyond. I believe there are fall 73 Indiana photos that show a wah, cannot remember if it is the Colorsound or what... but by 7/31/74 Hollywood, photos show a Morley wah. Then in fall 74 (GD Movie liner notes, photos by Bruce Polonsky and others), it appears to be an all-black Crybaby type, possibly a Thomas Organ. Then there isnt much info or photos until Garcia's '78 interview mentioning the Mutron wah.

AFAICT, Shank is right about the Playin/GSET change from wah to Mu happening somewhere in the 82-83 range.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby tigger » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:24 am

Is there a photo anywhere online of Jerry using the Colorsound in '71?
tigger
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Next

Return to Jerry Tone