Need help from Waldo wiring up JBL's in Birch cabPLEASE!!!!!

Re: Need help from Waldo wiring up JBL's in Birch cabPLEASE!

Postby hawk900 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:24 pm

hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby RiverRat » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:20 pm

:lol:
waldo041 wrote:calling me master? NO SOUP FOR YOU!!! :lol:

~waldo

You're through, Wiring Nazi. Pack it up.... :-)
RiverRat

Postby hawk900 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:44 pm

Well since I'm such an ass let's here the answer. 4 8ohm speakers with mc2300 left and right outputs bridged ? Mc2100 3 8ohm speakers left and right outputs bridged? what ohm output jack and what wired speaker arrangement?
Let's hear it.
hawk.
ps. I've been talkin with waldo for a long time now differentiating the accuracy of these approx diagrams released to us.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby barefootdave » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:57 pm

:lol:

Wow, Hawk. I guess you sure told me. Lighten up a little. I love you.
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Billy
Billy

Postby Smolder » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:10 pm

you didn't ask me... but I always have an opinion.

I'd wire them in series parallel like a standard marshall cab... 4x8ohms=8ohms. I'd then seriously consider using the 16 ohm tap, but try all three and see what sounds best. But here's my question to you Chris... MY GOD how/where will you turn that bad boy up?
Smolder

Postby mijknahs » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:01 pm

Please don't bridge the MC2300 (600 watts)...
mijknahs

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:52 am

I really couldn't see the use for 600 watts through 100+db JBL's. That is just stupid loud.

Smolder is right a series/parallel hookup is about the best way, IMO. I have yet to ever hear a difference between a parallel or series speaker hookup. I think hitting the amp between the 4-8 ohm taps are best for amps to operate well (in general), despite Mcintosh's autoformer that gives equal power to each ohm tap. Did you mention having 2 speakers wet and two dry? That would be a stereo hook up then....

We played at the Top of the Hops Beer Festival last weekend and we got to play the same room a national touring band would play at the convention center in Jackson, and my MC100 was still only 1/3 the way up through a 2x12. The sound guy would have hated me if I brought a 600 watt amp and attempted to drive it well enough to get a good sound. Outdoors without having to mic much would be interesting though....
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby hawk900 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:54 am

Actually I was picked as a winner to jam with a reggae fest coming to Canada in the third week of Aug. 6 college stadium shows(Ontario alone) =mc2300 and 4 k120's. My mc2100 and 3 e120's will be for some indoor track and field shows. All to do with the phasing in the legalization of grass which is one person's signature away in Ontario from being legal to hold 27grams or less and taxable mary jane like cigarettes and alcohol. Cultivation and trafficking will most likely be illegal 4ever.
The pre I'm using is from a vintage deluxe reverb completely removed from entire amp case and a 10watt signal from tone stack was designed for me from a local TV tech and intercepted before it hits the lame fender class a/b amplification into a junction box(thanks again Waldo)straight to my MC.
The funny thing is that what blew these rastas out of the water was my muting and shucking of my Q-tron. The two guitar players that heard it were in shock but the sad part is they said "Garcia who".
Oh well the best and coolest thing about it is that I'm goin to be on stage with Ziggy Marley.
The only thing on this thread that is completely unacceptable is the racist comment about being a guitar wiring Nazi which was taught to me over a period of time by Steve Parish.
I have helped handfuls of people on this forum with things I learned from Waldo,Parish and Kimmock on wiring/phasing,coil switching,multiple pups on same time and magnetic phasing. Sorry Waldo I didn't mean to put your nic in the topic title but it was only about respect of your knowledge.
hawk.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby hawk900 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:10 am

RiverRat wrote::lol:

~waldo

Wiring Nazi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently racist comments and bashing are ok especially during Jerry week. Waldo is a great guy and has deadicated countless hours to build his site for us. His onboard preamp buffer is genius and there is nothing else like it. Not anything from CAE or Alembic can compare. Plus the power consumption is amazing.
For a fact PMing someone is rude unless your very close to the person.
4 shows will be pro filmed and I'll highlight the point where I thank especially the owner of wald electronics,rukind forums and the many who have helped me including the guitar player from"the Garcia Project". Also thanks for the tip about bridging the 2300. I'll run half on the left and the other 2 on the right input and use a 1 1/4jack splitter for both inputs.
hawk
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby WildEye » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:48 pm

"Why can't we share?"
"I told you not to say anything. You can't go in there, brazenly flaunt the rules and then think I'm gonna share with you."
"Do you hear yourself?"
"I'm sorry. This is what comes from living under a Nazi regime."....

"You're a shmoopy." :D :lol:
WildEye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby RiverRat » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:11 pm

hawk900 wrote:
RiverRat wrote::lol:

~waldo

Wiring Nazi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently racist comments and bashing are ok especially during Jerry week. Waldo is a great guy and has deadicated countless hours to build his site for us. His onboard preamp buffer is genius and there is nothing else like it. Not anything from CAE or Alembic can compare. Plus the power consumption is amazing.
For a fact PMing someone is rude unless your very close to the person.
4 shows will be pro filmed and I'll highlight the point where I thank especially the owner of wald electronics,rukind forums and the many who have helped me including the guitar player from"the Garcia Project". Also thanks for the tip about bridging the 2300. I'll run half on the left and the other 2 on the right input and use a 1 1/4jack splitter for both inputs.
hawk

I present the Soup Nazi:

Lighten up Francis.... I hope you've seen the movie Stripes... or will that reference be too much for you to handle.
RiverRat

Postby hawk900 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:05 am

Thanks for the pm's guys. Will post pics when the 2 cabs are complete. Also thanks again for the advise not to bridge either of the MC's.
Gettin pumped for the reggae tour. Will have 3 different angles filming from my home town. The funniest thing is that 3 of the rasta tunes strum on C#minor and Bmajor shuckin with the qtron. aka stranger which is cool cause I'm gonna do a little stranger teasing throughout.
Hawk
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby karevangeline » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:01 pm

hawk900 wrote:mijknahs wrote:
C'mon man it's not that hard to wire up speakers! Just google "speaker wiring". Anyone can do it.

I know this my first post. Hello all!!!!!! Excellent forum,
Actually wiring speaker cabs and especially with McIntosh's you need to know what your total combo's ohms are. Also one wrong placed wire and you could short the MC's output barrier strip out blowing a bunch of that channels components. I believe hawk's question was 3 8ohm e120's to equal 8ohm total result. You can't!!!!!! Even to get a common value with 3 speakers is hard. eg 2,4,8,16 One way to get an 8ohm load with 3 e120's is to wire 2 8ohm 120's series and use a 16ohm e120 parallel wired around the 2 series 8ohm speakers=8ohms. That's a series/parallel combo. Google that!!!!!!!!!!
MC2300 is a solid state and so are several other jerry spec MC's plus modern pro rack mounted amps. SS amps are completely opposite from tube amps when it comes to which impedance they like the best. The higher total load are what SS amps run most efficiently on aka 8 and 16. The 4ohm port of MC2300,2105and the 2100 is the most common port to fail. Jerry's 2ohm tap on the MC bridged mono to fuel 4 8ohm e120's in parallel is the most life expectancy shortening way you could operate it.
Tube amps love the lower ohms and some even have a 1 ohm output. They also have to have a speaker hooked up at all times unlike SS due to power tubes blowing the transformer eventually.
The Rocktron Velocity300 is 150/channel and is bridgeable. Optimum performance is when the total load is 8ohms and runs more efficiently at 16. It's says they dont recommend 4ohm loads when amp is bridged and 2 would def blow it.
Hope this sheds a little light and there are many many formulas to get both speakers running in sweet spot range and amps not over working.
Why did you attack Hawk anyway? I just read through tonnes of his posts and he compliments everyone and offers to go out of his way to help people. Mean people suck. I miss Jerry.
karebear
karevangeline
welcome
welcome

Postby RiverRat » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:08 pm

karevangeline wrote:Mean people suck. I miss Jerry.
karebear

PM sent to BOTH of your accounts.
RiverRat

Postby eric » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:31 am

Ahhh.. Where is that Kimock article from the gear page on cab phase ... He explains his take on wiring a cab for in out as well. He had some homespun way of doing it . Anybody read that article From a while back ?

Hawk, remember that your JBLs ohms are actually going
To be less than the nominal posted values. With 4 of them
That could make a difference. If your JBLs only read 6.5... 4 of them could add up ..

IMPO , you'd be way better off with 2 separate 2x12's .
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Previous

Return to Cabinets