Alembic Little Darling Guitar

Alembic Little Darling Guitar

Postby mkaufman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:08 pm

Just ran across one. Anyone know anything about these guitars?

tnx,
mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Re: Alembic Little Darling Guitar

Postby barefootdave » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:02 am

I have wanted one for a long time. Have owned several Alembics and they are top notch. Currently have a Tribute. If you can get it for a price you are comfortable with, you will not be sorry.

The electronics are cool, give a wide palette of tones, although they can be tough to dial in at first. I have considered ditching the electronics in the past and just going Jerry with it, but never done so.

Alembics have a pretty stable resale value, so if you buy right, you have a good investment.
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Billy
Billy

Postby Mosfed » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:14 pm

I have had the pleasure of playing one. And I enjoyed it. The one I played had a great neck.

I have to echo the person who posted before me both on the electronics as well as the resale value. If it were me, I would probably buy the guitar without pickups and get it wired by someone else. Not a huge fan of their active pickups. I am sure this is akin to blasphemy here but I have to stick by my guns.

I think you would enjoy it. They do amazing work. The one that I played had an incredible flamed Koa top. Absolutely to die for
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby guitarcats » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:37 am

Mosfed wrote:I have had the pleasure of playing one. And I enjoyed it. The one I played had a great neck.

I have to echo the person who posted before me both on the electronics as well as the resale value. If it were me, I would probably buy the guitar without pickups and get it wired by someone else. Not a huge fan of their active pickups. I am sure this is akin to blasphemy here but I have to stick by my guns.

I think you would enjoy it. They do amazing work. The one that I played had an incredible flamed Koa top. Absolutely to die for

I had the second Darling made back in 04 and it was a piece of art. I just couldn't get used to the pickups, sounded dull and thin to me. My only complaint with Alembic is their refusal to add things I wanted. I mean if I am going to pay that much money for a custom guitar I should be able to get what I want. I too wanted different pickups but they flat out said no because that was their sound. I also wanted a maple board and neck binding and was also told no.

Having said all that, it was truly a beautiful instrument. It looked sexy as hell and it played flawless except for those damn pickups that I could never bond with. On the plus side I sold it for more then I paid so it wasn't too bad of an adventure.

guitarcats
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby barefootdave » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 am

Alembics have always been a good investment for me, always made money on them when reselling.

One of their dealers told me the other day that they recently changed their policy on special requests. He says they will now do anything you ask them (for a price, of course) including "real" Jerry electronics in the Further and Tribute models. One of their big holdouts was the electronics issue, but apparently they have seen the light.
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Billy
Billy

Postby gr8fullfred » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:46 am

Apparently the problem with Alembic's were their use of their active electronics and pickups.
Jerry just did not like Alembics electronics. And Jerry was not alone, can't really think of a major player who plays an Alembic guitar. Not so for the basses, apparently Alembics pickups and electronics do work for the bass, as many players have played them.

Remember that an Irwin guitar (Wolf) is basically an Alembic with "Stratocaster pickups, I could play that shit".

Alembic's electronics work for bass, not so well for guitar. Just my observations, never owned an Alembic.
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby zambiland » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:54 pm

gr8fullfred wrote:Apparently the problem with Alembic's were their use of their active electronics and pickups.
Jerry just did not like Alembics electronics. And Jerry was not alone, can't really think of a major player who plays an Alembic guitar. Not so for the basses, apparently Alembics pickups and electronics do work for the bass, as many players have played them.

Carlos Alomar. He played with James Brown and David Bowie. Doesn't get more major leagues than that. However, his Alembic was up for sale a while back.
zambiland

Postby gr8fullfred » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:01 pm

Carlos Alomar. He played with James Brown and David Bowie. Doesn't get more major leagues than that. However, his Alembic was up for sale a while back.

Yes that is exactly my point. No major players play them. Carlos Alomor, is basically an unknown player (I never heard of him), he is not known for his tone (he is not a tone god), and you can't even name another player who plays one. Just sayn...........
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby zambiland » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:16 pm

gr8fullfred wrote:

Yes that is exactly my point. No major players play them. Carlos Alomor, is basically an unknown player (I never heard of him), he is not known for his tone (he is not a tone god), and you can't even name another player who plays one. Just sayn...........

Well, son, Carlos Alomar was considered a guitar god and David Bowie and James Brown were both bigger gigs than the Grateful Dead for a long time. He was known for his tone and I can name another. Kid Funkadelic himself, Michael Hampton. Also well known and known for his tone. He played an Alembic in front of some seriously large crowds. Maybe it's an age thing and kids these days just don't know about the blazing and funky guitarists of the 70s and 80s.
zambiland

Postby Grant » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:26 am

I've always admired alembics for their build quality and attention to detail - they really are beautiful guitars. But in my relatively limited experience with them, their pickups just don't cut it- that of course is a deal-breaker. Great news that they aren't taking the hard line with pups anymore.
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:41 am

Scott Law (Piano Throwers, Honky Tonk Homeslice, Banjokillers) is considered a modern guitar god to many, and for at least the last 6-7 years has played an Alembic Further (Fyrthyr?) model with stock pickups. He can get very Jerry-like sounds. People here unfamiliar with his work may remember him as one of the winners of the "Play the Irwin Wolf" contest a few years back. But one of my favorite new groups is Law's Brokedown In Bakersfield, wherein he spanks a Tele.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Return to Jerry Tone