Phil Lesh's "Searching for the Sound"

Phil Lesh's "Searching for the Sound"

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:11 am

I have had the book for a long time and though I might start reading it, I was streaming youtube and found the audio book read by Phil himself! Even though Phil skips a few paragraphs every other page or so... he stick to the important parts. If you don't have the book I suggest spending some time and listen to Phil tell you "His Life With The Grateful Dead" :smile:
It's very emotional and inspiring listening to Phil read the book he wrote.

"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
Phil Lesh101

Re: Phil Lesh's "Searching for the Sound"

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:37 am

Read it three times. Excellent read!
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby mrMix » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:13 am

Great book - offers fascinating perspective and sometimes challenges the notion of who the "leader" of the band was over the years...
mrMix
Sitting plush with royal flush. Aces back to back...
mrMix
Brent
Brent

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:42 am

I've read it AND bought the audiobook. Both are very cool. His voice narrating it is exactly how I heard it while I read it. Definitley in the top 3 of GD books. (although I might be biased! :lol: )
Rusty the Scoob

Postby mkaufman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:45 am

It a long read, however, I find McNally's book very insightful. It makes one realize how unlikely it was that the Dead lasted as long as they did.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby mijknahs » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:12 am

Rusty the Scoob wrote:I've read it AND bought the audiobook. Both are very cool. His voice narrating it is exactly how I heard it while I read it. Definitley in the top 3 of GD books. (although I might be biased! :lol: )

What are the other 2 (of the top 3)?
mijknahs

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:23 am

mijknahs wrote:
Rusty the Scoob wrote:I've read it AND bought the audiobook. Both are very cool. His voice narrating it is exactly how I heard it while I read it. Definitley in the top 3 of GD books. (although I might be biased! :lol: )

Phil: Searching for the Sound
McNally/Scrib: his book as MKaufman mentioned, I forget the title
Blair Jackson: Garcia
Steve Parrish: whatever his book is called. It's fairly new so not a lot of people have read it yet, but it's fascinating and a great read as well.

So that's my top 3 which I guess includes 4 books, now that I think about it. :lol:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby mijknahs » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:
mijknahs wrote:

Phil: Searching for the Sound
McNally/Scrib: his book as MKaufman mentioned, I forget the title
Blair Jackson: Garcia
Steve Parrish: whatever his book is called. It's fairly new so not a lot of people have read it yet, but it's fascinating and a great read as well.

So that's my top 3 which I guess includes 4 books, now that I think about it. :lol:

Thanks. One of my favorites from back in the day is "Playing in the Band" by David Gans.
mijknahs

Postby jackevorkian » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:43 pm

Phil Lesh101 wrote:I have had the book for a long time and though I might start reading it, I was streaming youtube and found the audio book read by Phil himself! Even though Phil skips a few paragraphs every other page or so... he stick to the important parts. If you don't have the book I suggest spending some time and listen to Phil tell you "His Life With The Grateful Dead" :smile:
It's very emotional and inspiring listening to Phil read the book he wrote.

As tempting as this audio book might be, both you and The Stag could really benefit from reading a book or two.
jackevorkian
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:46 pm

Like I said before I am reading it, nice try though.
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
Phil Lesh101

Postby NSP » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:14 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Steve Parrish: whatever his book is called. It's fairly new so not a lot of people have read it yet, but it's fascinating and a great read as well.

I believe it's called "Home Before Daylight". Loved that one, lots of great stories from Parish. He's certainly had a long strange trip.
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby jerrys.kids » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:09 pm

Since we are on the topic of books. I am well into Gregg Allmans book and was a little surprised to read that he wasn't very fond of Jerry. He also didn't even mention the 73' RFK shows with the Dead that I think are pretty good. He really loved the "doojee" though. Not a bad read so far. Anybody reading this??
"Mama said, don't go near that river."
jerrys.kids
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby jeffm725 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:00 am

jerrys.kids wrote:Since we are on the topic of books. I am well into Gregg Allmans book and was a little surprised to read that he wasn't very fond of Jerry. He also didn't even mention the 73' RFK shows with the Dead that I think are pretty good. He really loved the "doojee" though. Not a bad read so far. Anybody reading this??

that's because Jerry called Gregg a "narc" :lol: (gregg testified against a band employee who sold him drugs)
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:10 am

jeffm725 wrote:
jerrys.kids wrote:Since we are on the topic of books. I am well into Gregg Allmans book and was a little surprised to read that he wasn't very fond of Jerry. He also didn't even mention the 73' RFK shows with the Dead that I think are pretty good. He really loved the "doojee" though. Not a bad read so far. Anybody reading this??

that's because Jerry called Gregg a "narc" :lol: (gregg testified against a band employee who sold him drugs)

http://archive.org/post/329415/gregg-al ... y-non-dead
Tennessee Jedi

Postby jerrys.kids » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:02 pm

Kinda funny that Jerry called him a narc way before he actually did narc on his buddy. I guess Jerry could tell.
"Mama said, don't go near that river."
jerrys.kids
Pigpen
Pigpen

Next

Return to Phil Sound