Fender HRDX

Re: Fender HRDX

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:05 pm

The question I've been thinking is where in the circuit can it be rewired to the effects out jack to get reverb in the signal as a preamp out? That should be a quick and easy wire transfer i'd think. That would solve the tap being non reverb, if it can be done. One of the big things I like about the amp is the lush fender spring reverb.I think the amp alone sounds pretty good, especially with a JBL and a good OD pedal.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby waldo041 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:31 am

i would tap it at C24, lifting the leg to the Phase Inverter and shunting to ground the pad where you lifted the leg from. also, be sure to remove the speaker plug so the speaker jack also shorts the output section rendering the entire power section dead . you will lose the presence control, but will keep the reverb. :smile:

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby gpilcher2001 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:41 am

that my friend is beyond my knowlege. i'm sure its possible. the reverb is after the buffered effects loop so i'm not sure if it could be placed before. imho the on board reverb isn't all that. i am fortunate to own a soldano space box which is a rack mountable tube reverb unit. let me tell you it does something to the hrdx. it's changed it from good to great! maybe its the bypass of the solid state reberb circuit bit it has a certain mojo now. i've always thought that the reverb on the hrdx sounded more hallish than say the vintage onboard reverb of a super or a twin. just my 2 cents. if you don't mind spending a little coin you can get better verbs from a digital unit.greg....
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu May 24, 2012 6:51 pm

Here is a sound clip of our last show, I played my SMS through the HRD III tube power section. Out of the SMS into the effects loop in of the HRD. Notable difference from the MAC's tone, but still, a tube amp sounds pretty damn good tone wise. My bandmates say they like the tone better from the tube amp. I do too, but I hate the envelope filter tone from it and miss the clipping you get from the mac too.
http://archive.org/download/fenians_120511/120511_09_west_la_fadeaway.mp3
JonnyBoy

Postby hawk900 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:58 am

Gr8fulGreg wrote:I pulled the power tubes out this morning and have 0 sound when i plug into my power amp to my cab.... I can plug into the pre amp out but there is no reverb.... anyone have another idea? put power tubes back in? idk i dont want to fry my amp but it sounds like crap without reverb

Here's what I did greg with my deluxe vm(same scenario with fx send pre out).
1. Popped the grill out held by velcro and bolted a nice exact cut 1/2 inch piece of plywood where the grill used to be (covered it with a batik skirt girlfriend's ....ssssshhh chopped up enough 2 staple gun around back edges of wood n screwed Fender symbol in the center.
2. Bolted the crap celestion 120 factory fender speaker face1st to the inside of the wood faceplate inside cab to 99% muffle it and hooked it to ext speaker jack(weaker)
3. That will take care of your power section failure ?
4. Leave all tubes in=reverb.
5. use send fx loop jack in the back as your preamp out to a class a amp of your choice and hook that to your 2 jbl's.
Option is to use the Internal jack to fuel your jbl's which is a 40watt signal for 2 jbl's(not big enough for me or my e120) skipping above steps.
My setup uses steps 1 to 5 and my fx send goes into an mc2100 mono mode(100plus watts into my e120 on top) pic:
hawk
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby NSP » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:03 am

JonnyBoy wrote:Here is a sound clip of our last show, I played my SMS through the HRD III tube power section. Out of the SMS into the effects loop in of the HRD. Notable difference from the MAC's tone, but still, a tube amp sounds pretty damn good tone wise. My bandmates say they like the tone better from the tube amp. I do too, but I hate the envelope filter tone from it and miss the clipping you get from the mac too.
http://archive.org/download/fenians_120511/120511_09_west_la_fadeaway.mp3

Good stuff JB. Great guitar tone and the band sounds great. Keep rockin'.

Peace
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby hawk900 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Here's some tests with 2 e120's muffled behind lazyboy and wood muffler theory I posted above. Both 120's running 100% dry . Special tank,spring and tube/socket on the way.
Feeding recently sold mc2100 out FX send line. Only DSP effect I like is the digital delay waiting for my real revrb tank custom mod.

A little Mutron3 messing around:

http://youtu.be/q7dlCZJz4NU

Just some more rca 12axl7a pot cap modded jer specs pre. I had to cut traces to isolate surface mount pot bleed res. and add some nice ceramics with CTE pots.

http://youtu.be/3f3e8AJ25sM

Been very sloppy lately compared 2 87to95 rex foundation benefit gigs Which were steady Wednesdays in Windsor,Ontario and AnnArbour,MI. Worse than anything when my band disintegrated.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby mgbills » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:45 pm

JohnnyBoy youz a baddass on that geetar! That you sangin' too? I know you've covered it but what is the name of your band and where you at?

Nevermind...found your website on your signature line. Awesome.
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:10 pm

waldo041 wrote:i would tap it at C24, lifting the leg to the Phase Inverter and shunting to ground the pad where you lifted the leg from. also, be sure to remove the speaker plug so the speaker jack also shorts the output section rendering the entire power section dead . you will lose the presence control, but will keep the reverb. :smile:

peace,
waldo

Never got a chance to say THANKS WALDO!! I am gonna try it this weekend!
JonnyBoy

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:18 pm

mgbills wrote:JohnnyBoy youz a baddass on that geetar! That you sangin' too? I know you've covered it but what is the name of your band and where you at?

Nevermind...found your website on your signature line. Awesome.

ThanKs brothers (NSP too)! I not used to flattery :oops:

I really love this band, and the music is part of my life just like everyone on here. Can't ask for more!!!! We work really hard, rehearse and such. At our age its a labor of love and its amazing how many folks in our area are dead heads!!

PS: yes that is me singing! That I had to start from scratch about a year and a half ago. It is like learning a new instrument from scratch!
JonnyBoy

Previous

Return to Loudspeakers