Aug. 10, 1995

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Aug. 10, 1995

Postby ugly rumor » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:59 am

In cleaning out a lot of accumulated stuff, I ran across the August 10, 1995 issues of the Washington Post and the Roanoke times (Virginia) newspapers. I remember that on the 9th, a buddy and I rode our motorcycles to a WW2 fly-in of vintage war planes at Andrews Field. When we got to the hotel, after a stop at the beer store, where I bought a six-pack of Jack Daniels beer, turned the television on, and there was Jerry. I immediately thought, "hey, great, the boys are coming! I'm in!!" Slowly it dawned that Jerry had died. I'll never forget the feeling.

If anyone wants these papers, PM me with an address and I'll put them in the mail to you.
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bear
Bear

Re: Aug. 10, 1995

Postby TI4-1009 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:26 am

We were out west on a three week camping trip to National Parks. On the way back we went through Memphis so my daughters could see the ducks at the Peabody Hotel. I stayed in the truck with camper, double-parked while they ran in. When they came out my wife was crying and she handed me the USA Today with the front page story.

I looked at it and sat there for a few seconds, stunned, processing. Put the truck in D, realized life would never be the same again, and started driving. And life is still not the same.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby vwjodyme » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:43 am

I was in a car filled with friends on our way to see ratdog. we went from super excited to devastated when the news came over the radio.

we weren't sure if bobby would go on, but he did. if i remember correctly they opened the doors so everyone could hear outside.
vwjodyme

Postby mgbills » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:18 am

I was in college (3rd time). Delivering fresh squeezed apple juice blends in an Isuzu box truck. Just south of Seattle, WA in heavy traffic. My world view changed too.

I guess I always had this thing in my head. I was on E. Coast tour from 1981 - 1984-ish. Most eastern shows in the first couple of years. When times were tough...job...school...rocky relationship...

...I'd have this voice in my head saying "Maybe it's time to go back on tour!" The Great Escape. The Caravan to Elsewhere. On the Road.

...When Jerry died I was just an adult...with no romantic escape plan. The sail boat in the S. Pacific always seems a little out of reach.

He took us all on The Big Trip. I miss the freedom...
Peace
Marty
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby Poor Peter » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:35 pm

I was at a gas staion at 127th and Pulaski. (Chicago burbs) I stopped to get something to drink. I work outside and it was hotter than hell that day. As I rolled into the parking lot "The Wheel"from Jer's solo album was on the radio. I thought to myself "thats odd". Cool, I turned it up and told my amigo to listen. I ran in and bought a bottle of water. When I came back out "Sugaree" was playing. My heart sank, never in a million years would they play two non- mainstream tunes like that back to back. Never. I turned to my amigo and said, " ...Jerry Garcia died...." "Qien?" ......."Nada man." I listened to the rest of the tune with my heart beating 90 miles an hour. And then Frank E. Lee, the deejay, came on ....NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! "Que Paso?" "Pedro!!! que paso?"
Poor Peter
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:29 pm

I was visiting my brother in San Fransisco. Actually, he worked at Stanford staying literally in a dudes barn at a guys house in Palo Alto. The Haight went nuts. People crying, wandering around aimless and distraught. I only got to go down there once for a few hours, we then went camping in big sur.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby tcsned » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:11 pm

I was finishing my undergrad degree and working for an equipment rental company. I was unloading a Ditch Witch and blasting the radio when the news came on. The other guy on the delivery and I (he was a head too) took an early 420 break and listened to the Hampton Warlocks tape. I had to play a gig that night, it was surreal.
tcsned

Postby mrMix » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:09 am

I was at work in downtown Manhattan. Left the office to sit over by a fountain in front of the towers to think.
Funny how much has changed in the past 17 years...
mrMix
Sitting plush with royal flush. Aces back to back...
mrMix
Brent
Brent

Postby Cmnaround » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:47 pm

I was working in the VA hospital in Philly and one of the docs came by and told me in the middle of the morning. He knew I was a head and he just heard about it in the car on the way in. I didn't belive him at first - I thought he was just busting my chops - but then after calling my wife I realized he was serious. Wild thing is my daughter Cassidy was was born 10 days earlier on July 30. There he goes and now here she starts...
Cmnaround
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:04 am

Cmnaround wrote: There he goes and now here she starts...

Wonderful. The wheel is turnin.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Return to Everything Else