All of jerry's guitar wiring diagrams close but wrong.

Re: All of jerry's guitar wiring diagrams close but wrong.

Postby waldo041 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:57 pm

Adam Deckard wrote:Waldo, stop responding to all these guys who challenge your greatness. It is not worth your time. Everyone knows you are the man!

there is absolutely nothing great about me, jerry was the man. i just made some layouts from his instruments and relayed some info about them and HIS gear.

but you are correct, maybe i do spend too much time responding.

Adam Deckard wrote:If I ever decided that I was so good at playing guitar like Jerry, that the only thing that could make me sound more like him (if I was that concerned lol ) was to modify my electric guitar, I would be one deluded individual.

no need to try and get personal! nothing deluded about anyone who try's out the wiring, mods or gear jerry used.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Adam Deckard » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:51 am

Waldo how many hrs have you spent researching this stuff and putting it out there for everyone for free? Thats not just relaying information dude, and you misinterpreted my last message. I was saying that in my opinion there's no reall better way to get better at playing (or sounding like jerry) than to practice, and that if I ever thought I was so good that i needed to mess with my guitar to get any futhur id be crazy. Nothing wrong with tinkering with tones and stuff if it's fun for u everyone has their interests. But I am also saying dont sell yourself short u ARE the man you should probably open up a guitar store or somethin.
Adam Deckard
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:22 pm

Wald-O-Rama
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby hawk900 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:11 am

waldo041 wrote:
hawk900 wrote:He never used series as far as humbuckers are concerned. Series is raunch.

never say never!

here is an example of jerry using the middle pickup in HUMBUCKER!(gasp)

peace,
waldo

There's no gasp. Jerry never used any of his humbuckers in series mode(standard hb wiring) like I said before this thee most uncleanest sound you can get from a high distortion/ultra sensitive humbucker. Parallel (second cleanest,little flatter than single mode) Great for strumming intro's =touch,bertha,standing,etc. Single coil on middle pup and bridge is thee cleanest for leads. Instead I hard wired my neck pup parrellel for strumming intro's and singing verses. I also hard wired my other two especially middle buck for single coil and crystal clear leads. There is no need for a dp3t switch because there is no point of using all three modes of each pup. Again I repeat series was not part of any jerry's game unless maybe he had a special appearance with slayer or metallica lol.
I disowned the 5way selector because then you have to worry about flipping pups and opposite wiring to keep pups in phase in case for some god reason you need to to turn pups on at the same time.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:27 am

I don't believe the evidence supports this notion. The schematics, photographs and the tones we hear suggest that Jerry ONLY had the single/split option and the series/HB option. Never seen any evidence that he used the parallel mode. Are we missing something here?

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby strumminsix » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:35 am

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I don't believe the evidence supports this notion. The schematics, photographs and the tones we hear suggest that Jerry ONLY had the single/split option and the series/HB option. Never seen any evidence that he used the parallel mode. Are we missing something here?

Brad

Brad, my gut says that is an assumption people make. I made the same assumption since every guitar with toggles I've ever seen has offered: series, shorted (single), and parallel. I have no clue what Jerry did or didn't do, only coming from a wiring perspective.
strumminsix

Postby playingdead » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:07 am

When Gary Brawer rewired my Tiger guitar I asked about parallel and he said it was single/hum on Garcia's. He oughta know.
playingdead

Postby mijknahs » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:25 pm

Funny thing is I used to HATE the series sound (especially when just messing around at home at lower volumes) but now I will totally use it at a gig and I don't think it sounds that different. It's a little hotter but still cuts through and doesn't sound as "muddy" as it does when just playing quietly at home. I still like the split coil sound better though most of the time.

Here's a couple personal examples of playing with the middle pickup in SERIES ONLY (full on muddy humbucking mode) for the whole song:

mijknahs

Postby Jon S. » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:44 pm

John K opened last night at the Jerry Birthday Show at the Hamilton (DC) with How Sweet It Is (as he often does) . I dig your version! Nice, thanks for sharing. :smile:
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby waldo041 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:56 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I don't believe the evidence supports this notion. The schematics, photographs and the tones we hear suggest that Jerry ONLY had the single/split option and the series/HB option. Never seen any evidence that he used the parallel mode. Are we missing something here?

Brad

the parallel option comes from the final incarnation of wolf's wiring. it is wired for hum free operation with it's 4 conductor neck pickup, and 2 dimarzios wired in parallel/series. no dp3t switch used only a dpdt.

hawk900 wrote:There's no gasp. Jerry never used any of his humbuckers in series mode(standard hb wiring) like I said before this thee most uncleanest sound you can get from a high distortion/ultra sensitive humbucker. Parallel (second cleanest,little flatter than single mode) Great for strumming intro's =touch,bertha,standing,etc. Single coil on middle pup and bridge is thee cleanest for leads. Instead I hard wired my neck pup parrellel for strumming intro's and singing verses. I also hard wired my other two especially middle buck for single coil and crystal clear leads. There is no need for a dp3t switch because there is no point of using all three modes of each pup. Again I repeat series was not part of any jerry's game unless maybe he had a special appearance with slayer or metallica lol.
I disowned the 5way selector because then you have to worry about flipping pups and opposite wiring to keep pups in phase in case for some god reason you need to to turn pups on at the same time.

Hawk, you need to look at and understand that the photo i linked shows Jerry using his middle pickup in humbucker(SERIES) wiring. so there is absolutley no way you can make the claim that he "never" used his dimarzios in Series wiring. there is proof in photographs, video as well as in audio, that show your notion is without a doubt false. let's differentiate your opinion from the truth. Jerry used both sides of ALL the toggles he has on his guitars, and to clarify further, he used ALL 3 pickups as well! i absolutely agree his goto mode was middle humbucker in split single coil, but your foolin yourself if you think that is the only option he ever used. turn your guitar volume down, he didn't play with it wide open. well at least not all the time.

example - you can't really see during the wheel, but at about 8:08 during Miracle you can clearly see Jerry is in the #2 position(Bridge+Middle) on his 5-way with the bridge in humbucker(Series=Toggle up) and the middle in single coil(Toggle down). He used this same setting in UJB as well. just a note, he also used this position for Estimate, but does it with the bridge in single coil on and off. either way the tone is unique to this postion, and is definately NOT his base middle pickup single coil sound.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hawk900 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:14 pm

waldo041 wrote:

Brad

the parallel option comes from the final incarnation of wolf's wiring. it is wired for hum free operation with it's 4 conductor neck pickup, and 2 dimarzios wired in parallel/series. no dp3t switch used only a dpdt.

hawk900 wrote:There's no gasp. Jerry never used any of his humbuckers in series mode(standard hb wiring) like I said before this thee most uncleanest sound you can get from a high distortion/ultra sensitive humbucker. Parallel (second cleanest,little flatter than single mode) Great for strumming intro's =touch,bertha,standing,etc. Single coil on middle pup and bridge is thee cleanest for leads. Instead I hard wired my neck pup parrellel for strumming intro's and singing verses. I also hard wired my other two especially middle buck for single coil and crystal clear leads. There is no need for a dp3t switch because there is no point of using all three modes of each pup. Again I repeat series was not part of any jerry's game unless maybe he had a special appearance with slayer or metallica lol.

Hawk, you need to look at and understand that the photo i linked shows Jerry using his middle pickup in humbucker(SERIES) wiring. so there is absolutley no way you can make the claim that he "never" used his dimarzios in Series wiring. there is proof in photographs, video as well as in audio, that show your notion is without a doubt false. let's differentiate your opinion from the truth. Jerry used both sides of ALL the toggles he has on his guitars, and to clarify further, he used ALL 3 pickups as well! i absolutely agree his goto mode was middle humbucker in split single coil, but your foolin yourself if you think that is the only option he ever used. turn your guitar volume down, he didn't play with it wide open. well at least not all the time.

example - you can't really see during the wheel, but at about 8:08 during Miracle you can clearly see Jerry is in the #2 position(Bridge+Middle) on his 5-way with the bridge in humbucker(Series=Toggle up) and the middle in single coil(Toggle down). He used this same setting in UJB as well. just a note, he also used this position for Estimate, but does it with the bridge in single coil on and off. either way the tone is unique to this postion, and is definately NOT his base middle pickup single coil sound.

~waldo

Hey brad yes we are missing a little something. Jerry had mid pup wired between parallel and split not series on wolf,tiger. Rosebud same except parallel neck pup. If you want to doubt me just wire one up in parallel even middle. Leave your tone knob and everything else same as if you were doin a clean lead. It's to the tee touch of grey,bertha,terrapin chord intros muffled flat yet second cleanist and both coils are active. Two way it's been done on earlier Tigers the push pull tone knobs 500/250 swith 250=single mode and pull 500/parallel.
Yes you guys are correct everything publish on the net is based around a fender single coil and switched to it from standard series humbuckers. I assume the extra HB wrapping around aka insulator adds to an even super clean dp104 turned to single.
As mention above to achieve parallel you don't need a push/pull nor sp3t switch you just need an extra jumper beside your spst switch. I hard wire my bridge HB to always parallel and hard wired my mid HB to single always and can switch the 2 pups from apex ground switch. eg Strummin singing touch in parrallell and click mid pup swith to HB single coil for lead sound phenominal. I you have haven't strummed a parrallell than don't knock it. Just turn the tone up a tab. My bridge pup blend's with an under shaller bridgepiezo hooked to a blend knob just to give a slight Cripe acoustic edge.
The only assumption or hint that jer used two pups at once was the explaination of the mid pup being reverse wired and flipped to be magnetically in phase.
Give it a try you'll be shocked.
hawk.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby hawk900 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:36 pm

The onlY reason reason jer would open up the series rauch is maybe to kickass with some over drive during a volume war with hornsby eg.
Just give it a try if you wanna hear what I'm talk in about. Also it's funny how come the replica guitars from the reputable luthiers have parralel mode in thier switches.
Explain the push pull with the 1meg resistor on the tiger.
ONLY TALKIN FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. JUST GIVE IT A STRUM WITH SLIGHT INCRESE IN PUP TONE.
hawk900
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:44 am

Back in the '90s when Gary Brawer gave me the computer printout of his main Jerry wiring schematic that he used for wiring Jerry's guitars, he showed no indication of any parallel wiring. Only single and series HB. Tiger, Rosebud, and the Cripes all appear to me to have followed this setup.

Back in the late '80s I had dabbled with the parallel option, but in practice with the band playing loud on stage, that tone simply didn't have enough clarity, focus, or bite to be useful, so I ditched it. The parallel sound is kind of sweet, but it really sounded and felt mushy and got lost in the mix for me. I did not find the parallel to have any noticeable "boost" compared to the single coil mode, which makes sense because when paralleling we wouldn't expect a voltage increase. With series we can expect a significant boost in output. It sure seems like Jerry took advantage of this boost and tonal thickening from time to time, especially with bridge pickup use, some distorted solos, and also with clean tones with JGB... I just don't hear the parallel tone in Jerry recordings, not that I can detect, maybe in the late '70s when he first started using these pickups and was experimenting... I'd love to hear an example of this pointed out.

It's kind of a wild statement to say that Jerry "NEVER" used the series humbucker mode when we see examples of Jerry getting a boost with the toggle switches and when the guy who wired his guitars knows exactly what he did for Jerry's guitars and even had the schematic documented for his records. I think it's pretty irrefutable that Jerry had the series HB in his guitars.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby barefootdave » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Jim, nice playing and singing in the vids posted above. That's also a nice looking guitar, what kind is it?
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby mijknahs » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:02 pm

barefootdave wrote:Jim, nice playing and singing in the vids posted above. That's also a nice looking guitar, what kind is it?

Thanks. The guitar is a Bill Asher custom (one off). All the same wood and construction as the Tiger (13 lbs. too). I've had it now for 15 years and I love it!
mijknahs

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone