Building an Alligator - body choice

Building an Alligator - body choice

Postby Mosfed » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Hello I am building an alligator style Garcia guitar

we have discussed the pickups on the forum at length and I think the answer is either D. Allen Voodoo 69s or Fender 57/62s.

Regarding the body - one can't really find Swamp Ash Fender bodies easily so what would you do:

choose a Warmouth Swamp Ash Fender copy or a Fender, deluxe, or 57 reissue USA made whatever ash or alder body? Oddly it seems like the Fender would be cheaper.

what would you choose
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow

Re: Building an Alligator - body choice

Postby Mr.Burns » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:07 pm

There's a lot more options out there...

I have a Carvin ash body, and while the grain isn't perfect, it beats most of what I've seen on Warmoth's site, The quality of the build is great. It has a near-swimming pool route, so any p/u combo is possible. For $15 cheaper than Warmoth its fantastic.

You could have Ron Kirn make you a model-year specific body... he's amazing. There's an incredibly detailed tutorial here: depicting Ron building a sitka spruce 62 style Strat from scratch. Another option would be use that thread as a tutorial and build your own. You would need a router, but it's not really that hard...

Return to Guitar Building and Mods