Mutron Octave Pedal and Phase pedal

Mutron Octave Pedal and Phase pedal

Postby Mosfed » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:46 pm

Hello

I have read that until he moved onto the Boss pedal Garcia used a Mutron octave pedal. does anybody have any experience with the Mutron. also if anybody has any experience with the Mutron phase pedal that would be fantastic thanks
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Re: Mutron Octave Pedal and Phase pedal

Postby cmc64 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:25 pm

I have the Musitronics Mu-Tron Phasor II and it nothing short of fantastic. It has an utterly stunning liquidy sound that I just haven't found in any other phase pedal. The electric-optical design is so sweet, so supple - it is hard to find the words to describe it. If you have access to one - get it. I know J.G. used the MXR and it sounds FANTASTIC but the Mu-Tron Phasor II can do anything it can and then some. I have the Phasor II and the Mu-Tron III and once I get the Octave Divider (a good one, you have to be picky with that pedal) I will be (almost) all set. I am a sucker for those vintage analog pedals; IMO they just can't be beat. I do have a TC Electronics Flashback Delay that while digital is an analog dry-through design and it is a great pedal. I will never give it up. That being said - I lost out on an auction the other day for the vintage green MXR Analog Delay and boy o boy do I want one. It has this dark, almost spooky sound that is one of a kind. So those two are on the list I (I have my vintage MXR Distortion+).

Anyway, get it if you can. You will fall in love instantly. I know I did. The Musitronics gear really is on another level. Just my opinion - but now having these pedals I can't believe I ever had another E.F. or phaser (and once you have them you can never go back). I really do need to pick up a vintage MXR Phase 100 just for fun. It has a great sound and I love the two-knob user interface. I am a gear junkie and an analog guy. It's great stuff.

In fact, on the vintage analog scene, I grabbed a beauty of a McIntosh MC2100 this afternoon. Re-capped and all cleaned up - I can't wait until it shows up. I am dreaming of the sound.....
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby Mosfed » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:56 pm

I've found both the Phasor and Phasor II - both recently checked out and calibrated by Mike Begley (cant ask for better). The 2 is $100 more. Any idea of the difference?

I am with you on the old analog effects. I fell lucky to have things like an original tube screamer, an original mxr distortion + and a Mutron III.

I saw in a Garcia interview that he used a Mutron wah pedal? I had no idea they even existed.
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tigger » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:49 pm

There is a Mutron wah/volume pedal, I own one. Actually it's wah and/or volume, you can do both at once. But did he really use that?

Someone I know has had a tuned-up octave divider priced to move but I haven't managed to bite the bullet.
tigger
Brent
Brent

Postby cmc64 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:05 pm

Mosfed wrote:I've found both the Phasor and Phasor II - both recently checked out and calibrated by Mike Begley (cant ask for better). The 2 is $100 more. Any idea of the difference?

I am with you on the old analog effects. I fell lucky to have things like an original tube screamer, an original mxr distortion + and a Mutron III.

I saw in a Garcia interview that he used a Mutron wah pedal? I had no idea they even existed.

I feel really fortunate to have them as well. I really treasure them. They both are working very well but I do need to send the to Biegel or Richard Lingenberger (http://lsound.com/) just to make sure all is as it should be - and of course will last far into the future.

Here is a bit of info:

item : Mu-Tron™ Phasor
description : Mu-Tron™'s original phasor using transconductance amps. Rate and depth controls.

item : Mu-Tron™ Phasor II
description : Electro-optical phase control: uses same "photo-mod" circuit as Bi-Phase, with rate depth and feedback controls.

http://www.mu-tron.org/
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Return to Jerry Tone