Wolf Pickup/setup Dilemma - What would you do?!?

Wolf Pickup/setup Dilemma - What would you do?!?

Postby Mosfed » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:11 pm

Hello to all

I am having a dilemma that I could use some advice on.

Some background - I have a lovely collection including a Phil Gawen Wolf (1978 style - Super 2s and SDS-1) and various vintage and reissue Gibsons and Fenders - including a lovely Custom Shop 1962 Strat. My favorite period of the GD was 1972-4 and then 1989-91. My rig includes a variety of Jerry effects like a Boss OC-3, MXR script Distortion + and a Mutron III, a 1971 Fender Bandmaster that's been Jerrified and a custom cab with 2 x 12" JBL D-120s. I have now asked Matt Moriarty to make me a new Wolf. And hence the dilemma.

So part of me - given my preference for the period and the Phiga, is thinking - go for the Wolf 1.0 set up - Fender style single coils and a blaster. For a discussion re: the best pickups (stock Fender, custom shop or 3rd party) check out the Jerry tone forum. Another part of me is wondering if that's the right call. In general I love humbuckers more than single coils. On the Phiga I am *always* on the middle Super 2 and rarely coil tapped (although this is changing after a comment that Waldo made recently). Plus I want this Wolf to be my dream Wolf - I don't want it to be different just for the sake of being different.

So on the one hand, I have option 1 - 1973-4 Wolf 1.0 - 3 single coils and then on the other - option 2 - Wolf 1978 or so - Super 2s and SDS-1. The VAST majority of Wolfs out there are the latter. And I have one. The fact that it would be more rare does appeal to me. But I don't know what to do...

I know, I know, what a problem to have...

On a different note - does it make any sense to include a Waldo buffer in a guitar that has a blaster? It would strike me that it wouldn't be as critical but still pretty important. The blaster is a preamp but...

THANKS TO ALL.
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Re: Wolf Pickup/setup Dilemma - What would you do?!?

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:42 am

As your favorite is W1 era and you already own a W2, W1 would be most logical.

Check out Lollar:
http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/mercha ... at-pickups

The Blackface or maybe Blonde pickups. Love his work!!
strumminsix

Postby Mosfed » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:00 am

I just got the best news I could have gotten.

For a nominal fee - just the cost of the pickups and an extra brass ring - Matt can make me 2 loaded sets - 1 Wolf 1973 and 1 Wolf 1978.

NOW THAT'S JUST AWESOME if you ask me!
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:03 pm

"reaching for the brass ring..."
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:31 am

Mosfed wrote:I just got the best news I could have gotten.

For a nominal fee - just the cost of the pickups and an extra brass ring - Matt can make me 2 loaded sets - 1 Wolf 1973 and 1 Wolf 1978.

NOW THAT'S JUST AWESOME if you ask me!

I've always wondered why more people with Wolves don't do this. Seems like with some quick-disconnects you could have a 5-minute swap between the two. Very cool! :cool:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Mosfed » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:08 pm

To me it's like getting two guitars for the price of one. And if you consider the initial cost of getting Matt to build a guitar, it's peanuts in comparison. Probably going to go with the D Allen 69 Voodoos for the 1973.
--
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby strumminsix » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:16 pm

Very cool!!!
strumminsix

Return to Guitar Building and Mods