JBL's in my Virbolux?

JBL's in my Virbolux?

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:15 am

What is a pari of 10" JBL's going to do to my my silverface vibrolux? Also the amp has what I think are the orig, RCA 6L6's in it. I'm open to suggestions. I'm using the amp with a few different guitars in a non Garcia application.
It's a really nice sounding stock '74 Fender at the moment. My intent was to keep it that way but I've been playing it for a year and in that time I've been been growing more and more disenchanted with it. The idea of loading
the Vibrolux with JBL's is to kind of take what I've learned here into my own music. Same idea as writing chord progressions with Emaj7 in them;)

I'm starting to think that 12" is the perf size for guitar speakers. 10" speakers just sound a little thin.
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Re: JBL's in my Virbolux?

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:44 am

Love 10" speakers for guitar! Tons of punch and tone.

I think a pair of D's would sound good.

Think E or K would be underpowered and I don't care for ceramics usually.
strumminsix

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:55 am

The 10" JBl's use the smaller 3" voice coil and they are WORLDS crisper sounding compared to the 12" with its 4" voice coil. It's a different treble voicing, and is so crisp it sounds like a tweeter. But, when you light them up and really push them, they begin to warm over and the paper begins to dominate. At low volume the metal dustcap dominates. The 10"s can be way too crisp when run at low power. They do sound great when all things are going right and pushing hard.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby playingdead » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:34 am

Andrew, I have a pair of K-110s for sale, they sounded great in my Vibrolux. Drop me a line.

viewtopic.php?f=334&t=12376
playingdead

Postby Mosfed » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:27 pm

I think they would sound fantastic in a Vibrolux. Better than what you have in there at least
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Return to Jerry Tone