Etymological observation about Adamas picks

Etymological observation about Adamas picks

Postby Jon S. » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:38 am

Perhaps someone else has noted this previously but it only now came to me and I think it's cool!

My band is finally working up Dark Star so I'm working on both the guitar parts and the vocals. To get as fully as I can into the lyrics, one thing I did was I re-read The Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics. That's where I saw:

Diamond

Cirlot has this to say about the symbolism of the diamond:

"Eytmologically, it comes from the Sanskrit dyu, meaning 'luminous being.' It is a symbol of light and of brilliance. The word 'adamantine' is connected with the Greek adamas, meaning 'unconquerable.' In emblems, it often indicates the irradiant, mystic 'Centre'. Like all precious stones, it partakes of the general symbolism of treasures and riches, that is, moral and intellectual knowledge." (p. 81)

So Adamas graphite picks, which share the element carbon with their crystaline counterpart, the diamond, also share the Greek etymological root, adamas.

I tip my top hat to whoever chose the name. :D
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Re: Etymological observation about Adamas picks

Postby waldo041 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:31 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovation_Guitar_Company

check out the design of the soundhole wing and the back of the pick.

http://www.ovationguitars.com/guitars/category/adamas

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Jon S. » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:38 am

waldo041 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovation_Guitar_Company

Fascinating!

Ovation used spruce for its tops (soundboards), reflecting its engineers familiarity with sitka spruce, which was used in helicopter blades. In the 1970s, Ovation developed thinner sound-boards with carbon-based composites laminating a thin layer of birch, in its Adamas model, which has been viewed as one of the most radical designs in the history of acoustic guitars.

waldo041 wrote:check out the design of the soundhole wing and the back of the pick.

http://www.ovationguitars.com/guitars/category/adamas

~waldo

WOW! Thanks for sharing. :smile:
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Mr.Burns » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:18 am

Jon S. wrote:I tip my top hat to whoever chose the name. :D

Agreed. Charles Kaman was a genius and only recently (last year) passed away. He was likely the brains behind all the composite material and radical design departures at Ovation. The man invented dual inter-meshing helicopter blades that turn in opposite directions and he was the first to put a turbine on a helicopter. Wow. :hail:

I wonder if he also came up with the idea to use graphite? He was an avid guitar player...
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby Yankee Tim » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:37 am

I can say this. I used to use Adamas strings on my acoustic. Not so great IMHO.
Yankee Tim
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:48 am

Yankee Tim wrote:I can say this. I used to use Adamas strings on my acoustic. Not so great IMHO.

That makes me wonder if they sound really good on Ovations. They're certainly not voiced the same as traditional acoustics.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Yankee Tim » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:30 pm

You might be right. At the same time, the Dean Markleys I've used most of my life sound great on wood but awful on plastibacks.
Yankee Tim
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Return to Jerry Tone