Auto wah/envelope filters

Auto wah/envelope filters

Postby Linkslover » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:38 pm

I'm on a bit of a budget and though I know I'll never sound like Jerry (except in my own head), I'm thinking of adding a new pedal to my small collection.

Right now I've got a blues driver which I use mainly for leads to give me some more sustain without adding a lot of distortion (I love the "clean" sound I get through my Princeton Reissue) and a delay. I'm thinking adding an Electro-Harmonix XO Micro Q-Tron to the mix.

Any thoughts on this pedal (yes. I know that electronics will not make me sound like Jerry. They'll just make me sound like myself with electronics).

Thanks!
Linkslover
tiger
tiger

Re: Auto wah/envelope filters

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:40 pm

noticed Fareed Haque using one, last time I got up close to see him play... shoot, that was that was a few years ago now.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:05 am

Linkslover wrote:I'm on a bit of a budget and though I know I'll never sound like Jerry (except in my own head), I'm thinking of adding a new pedal to my small collection.

Right now I've got a blues driver which I use mainly for leads to give me some more sustain without adding a lot of distortion (I love the "clean" sound I get through my Princeton Reissue) and a delay. I'm thinking adding an Electro-Harmonix XO Micro Q-Tron to the mix.

Any thoughts on this pedal (yes. I know that electronics will not make me sound like Jerry. They'll just make me sound like myself with electronics).

Thanks!

I use the micro Q - or is it mini ? - it gets the job done in a work man like fashion - I'm looking to upgrade to the Qtron + when the funds are flowing better .... been using one for the last 4 years or so ...
I am a fan of the Blues driver also .... I think they might add their tone a bit too much .... I use mine mainly for that 80's over-driven sound .... Minglewood / Samson / West LA ....
If you want to hear what the micro Q sounds like check out the Jedi reverbnation page .... any tune with the Mutron sound is a Micro Q ...
- Tom
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:08 am

Also try the search function - there are countless threads devoted to the subject of E.F.'s
:smile:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:49 am

Look for a used or discounted Line-6 Tonecore Otto Filter. It's actually a "model" of a Mutron III. It's definitely in the ballpark and works in a pinch or on a budget.

B

... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:05 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MADE-IN-USA-ELECTRO-HARMONIX-Q-TRON-ENVELOPE-FILTER-GUITAR-EFFECTS-PEDAL-FX-/221063751705?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33786d2819

I use one of the older Q-tron +'s... it's got some major heft to its sound, it's one of my two favorite pedals. Do the new Q-trons use a different circuit? I thought I'd read somewhere on here that they do.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby HeadSpace » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:44 pm

+1 on the Otto as the budget-friendly champ. Pretty convincing and can generally be found for $40 or so. I've got two, in fact.
HeadSpace
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Jon S. » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:46 am

I'm using Line 6's Mu-tron model in their M13, preceded by a compressor model (inspired by the MXR Micro Amp) set near unity to even out the input signal. I won't claim it nails a 'Tron but it works for my audiences and me. Screen shots of my settings appear below. About 2 years ago, I replaced my painstakingly-assembled individual effects pedalboard with the M13 based on "tone + convenience." The built-in tuner is serviceable, the global noise gate excellent (I sold my ISP Decimator after A-B-ing it with the on-board unit), and it's got on-board looping, too, along with many other convenient features. And because I also play a bunch of other types of music, I have other scenes set up for other contexts. Anyone using an M13 who'd like screen shots of my full Jerry scene, I've posted them here before but if you can't find them, here you go (PM me if you also want the scene's exact sequencing/layout): http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 206%20M13/

"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby Cmnaround » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:38 pm

Anyone use a Pigtronix PE phase envelope pedal? They seem pricy but there is one on my local Craig's list for 160. Saw a cool YouTube vid of Bobby fooling around with one and it sounded really good. Maybe a way to get an mxr phase 90 and mutron like sound from a single pedal?
Cmnaround
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Linkslover » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:03 pm

So based on listening to a few "demos" on youtube and looking to see what's reasonably priced, I'm debating between the Q-Tron Micro, the MXR Auto-wah and the Line 6 Otto.

Any further thoughts?

BTW, I am playing a Fender Lead guitar into this.

Thanks,
Linkslover
tiger
tiger

Postby jeager » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:48 am

Anybody else tried the Emma Discombobulator. Its been discontinued but I picked one up used and am pretty happy with it. Probably not a perfect clone of the Mutron sound but its sounds good if you get the settings just right...
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Mosfed » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:16 pm

One of the few constants in Garcia's rig was the Mutron. So if you can't afford a Mutron, I would go for the only pedal out there designed the same person that designed the muTron - might as well go for the original.

I would get the full sized deal not the Micro. I think you can hear the difference
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby bcresci » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:18 am

Took a shot at an otto filter on ebay and was able to get it for $36. I agree with the previous posts - for the money, I'm pretty happy with it. I don't rely heavily on this pedal given the music we play, so this will do nicely as some color now and then. Have it sitting after a Boss Octave Divider in the chain. Seems to have a fairly wide range of sounds.

My only minor complaint is what sounds like a slight volume drop that occurs when the pedal is on. Maybe this is common to envelope filters? Even my boost pedal doesn't seem to noticeably increase the volume to my ears. Maybe I'll have to toy with a little more use of the volume on the guitar to adjust up and down.
bcresci
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Linkslover » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:19 pm

Thanks for the thoughts.

I went ahead and but the Q-Tron. I doubt it sounds exactly like the Mutron but no one is going to mistake my playing for Jerry's and it does provide a nice Jerry like effect.
Linkslover
tiger
tiger

Postby cmc64 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:59 pm

I tried out the Q-Tron (an older one and the new edition) and just could not get a satisfactory (to me) tone out of either one. Beigel Sound Labs new Tru-Tron 3X is fantastic (I have an original Mu-III and the 3X holds it own and then some). My first E.F. was the MXR Auto-Q and it was ok but just did not do it for me. I have heard great reviews of the 3Leaf Audio Proton and I also own a vintage MXR Envelope Filter and out of all non Mu-III/Beigel effects it has easily been my favorite. I keep it as backup if it is ever needed. Poke around for one. For a vintage pedal the prices can be quite reasonable.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Next

Return to Jerry Tone