Jerryesque vs. Jerryfied

Jerryesque vs. Jerryfied

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:04 am

Jerryesque - to have a guitar(woods/setup/wiring) or rigs electronic components be similiar but not exactly to Jerry Garcia's producing similiar tonal qualities found in them.

Jerryfied - to have a guitar(woods/setup/wiring) or rigs electronic components almost if not exactly to Jerry Garcia's to produce exactly the same tonal qualities found in them.

here are some examples from awesome Jerry players. ALL have an awesome tone!!! however, there is a difference in what is being produced from their indivdual rigs tonewise that can be heard which puts them in either one or the other of these categories.
Note: Some may not be able to hear a difference.

Jerryesque -

Jerryfied

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Re: Jerryesque vs. Jerryfied

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:40 am

Controversially awesome!! I hear what you are saying.

The East Coast Cats really have a good sound cooking.

One thing I'll add, however, is that each of them fit in exactly with the band and what is needed in that band's mix. I think Jerry did too to some extent. Like all the threads on "what did Jerry in LoM?" He sounded similar yet different. He was thinner against Pig AND Keith. Fatter with Keith. More cutting with Brent. Just my observation.

But just tonally, I think you are on to something, Waldo.
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:14 am

strumminsix wrote:Controversially awesome!! I hear what you are saying.

The East Coast Cats really have a good sound cooking.

One thing I'll add, however, is that each of them fit in exactly with the band and what is needed in that band's mix. I think Jerry did too to some extent. Like all the threads on "what did Jerry in LoM?" He sounded similar yet different. He was thinner against Pig AND Keith. Fatter with Keith. More cutting with Brent. Just my observation.

But just tonally, I think you are on to something, Waldo.

agree wholeheartedly, and you know as well as i that his guitars & rig had changes along the way, especially early on. but he did end up settling on a few pieces along the way such as pre and power amp, as well as guitar wiring and the way he chose to interact with his effects(OBEL). some of the effects became constants as well. the whole jerryesque/jerryfied concept can be stretched his entire gd/jgb careers, but a timeframe should definately be associated so a proper diagnosis can be identified when determining what exact tonal aspects are trying to be achieved.

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Jon S. » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:43 am

strumminsix wrote:... each of them fit in exactly with the band and what is needed in that band's mix. ...

There are surely audible differences across all four guitarists though I'd agree each sounds good with his own band. And the keyboard player in Playing Dead can turn up by me! Even more I enjoyed all of the players' chops. Really nice. And inspiring! More woodshedding for me (and vocal work). :oops: :smile:
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Return to Jerry Tone