Sarno Music Solutions!

Re: Sarno Music Solutions!

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:55 pm

I still want to get the clipper going, but currently I'm working on two new preamps for this year's release. They are both tube preamps, very simple, something special about them though that I can't yet announce. One is a bass pre using a vintage bass amp style EQ section and the other uses a Fendery tone-stack approach which will be good for bass, pedal steel, and guitar. They're not Jerry devices, but they sound real cool. Currently two of the guitar/steel versions are on the road with Lee Ann Womack's steeler and also with Martina McBride's steeler. The bass version is with Byron House who worked with Sam Bush for years and more recently with Robert Plant's Band of Joy. These guys are ecstatic about the new (yet based on VERY vintage designs) preamps. We're finalizing the graphics and should announce something in the next month or so. These are bare bones preamps, ultra minimalist, no FX, 3-stage, all tube, low-level XLR DI output and super hot 1/4" output. That's about all I can say at the moment.

Maybe we'll get the clipper going in 2013.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby Jon S. » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:28 am

tigger wrote:Sorry if this has been posted before, just came across it:
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/interviews/brands/sms

Excellent interview. Especially enjoyed this Q & A (and thanks for the compliment :smile: ).

What sets Sarno Music Solutions apart from other builders?

Philosophy - trying to find special uses and needs that haven't been well addressed by other makers, trying not to be redundant in a saturated market. USA build - chassis and boards all domestically made.

Process - all entirely hand assembled/built by me. Artwork by my wife. We're very obsessed with component selection, carbon comp where appropriate, more exotic film/foil cap's where called for, non-magnetic metal film resistors where needed, etc.

Clientele is fairly small yet very high end professionals.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby tcsned » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:03 am

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:The bass version is with Byron House who worked with Sam Bush for years and more recently with Robert Plant's Band of Joy.

That's cool! Byron is a cool dude and kind of a deadhead to boot. I jammed Dead tunes with him at my old music store one afternoon. I know he was playing in a Dead band in Nashville for a while with some dudes from Little Feat and Double Trouble dunno if he's still doing that.
tcsned

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:38 am

Jon S. wrote:"I wasn't trying to rip on ya but instead open up your eyes to new possibilities. ... I believe it was Mr. Kimock who plugged into JG's rig and couldn't get it to sound good at all." strumminsix Aug 05 2010

LOL! Where did I say that, Jon?
strumminsix

Postby Jon S. » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:53 am

Your full quote was:

I wasn't trying to rip on ya but instead open up your eyes to new possibilities. You are the unfortunate recipient of my frustration over the "real Jerry rig" chats of dudes using JBLS with 100W going to each. It's just very unrealistic and quite frankly doesn't work for many. I believe it was Mr. Kimock who plugged into JG's rig and couldn't get it to sound good at all.

Also, Jerry evolved based on his needs and size of venue. So if you want to replicate the exact gear you also need to replicate:
1 - the volume
2 - the amount of air the speakers pushed out into

All very important variables.

Regarding Jerryesque tone I've heard Waldo's rig nail it with 1 JBL and what, 22 watts? Other dudes nail it well with TRRIs I've even heard great tone from Blues Jr guys.

viewtopic.php?f=309&t=9008&p=84637&hilit=possibilities#p84637
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:53 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I still want to get the clipper going, but currently I'm working on two new preamps for this year's release.
Maybe we'll get the clipper going in 2013.

B

No worries, i am still behind the curve and don't have my Earth Drive yet. I am happy with my distortion/OD, but not beyond happy if that makes sense. The reviews of the ED seem to describe what I am looking for. Plus you know what good Jerry style tone is and that's more important for me in a boutique built pedal.

Good luck with your new line! I know a few local pro steel players I will get your name to. One guy is a buddy of mine in a popular local band that is getting back into it seriously and I think will need a rig for it. He is a tone hound too.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Earth Drive! :smile:
JonnyBoy

Postby Quarterpounder » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi everybody- Just placed my order for a Sarno pre with Jerry mods and an Earthdrive. I can't wait! I've been playing at home with a Frenzel pre (with Brad's thumbs up) into a Groove Tubes STPG with a preamp "in" mod. Been going into a Weber Cali 12" into a closed back ported Bag End. I think the Bag End cab makes it too bassy(I just crank the bass down all the way), but I have a K110 and D123 on the way to try out in open back cabs. I also pulled the trigger on a Mac 250, but it might need some work. Thanks to everyone on this site for their amazing contributions to a life long endeavor! I'll share more info and results as it accumulates. Quarterpounder
Quarterpounder
tiger
tiger

Postby tcsned » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:38 pm

Quarterpounder wrote:Hi everybody- Just placed my order for a Sarno pre with Jerry mods and an Earthdrive. I can't wait! I've been playing at home with a Frenzel pre (with Brad's thumbs up) into a Groove Tubes STPG with a preamp "in" mod. Been going into a Weber Cali 12" into a closed back ported Bag End. I think the Bag End cab makes it too bassy(I just crank the bass down all the way), but I have a K110 and D123 on the way to try out in open back cabs. I also pulled the trigger on a Mac 250, but it might need some work. Thanks to everyone on this site for their amazing contributions to a life long endeavor! I'll share more info and results as it accumulates. Quarterpounder

I've got the ported Bag End and yes it has that thick low end that those cabs are good for. I got a second one that I cut the back out of and am in the process of getting some speakers for it and getting my wife to paint it. I used Eminence Commonwealth speakers and I really like them. It was pretty easy to cut the back out and pull all of the baffling out if you think you want to modify yours all you really need is a jig saw.
tcsned

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:31 pm

I'm waiting to hear how the SMS hits the tone better than the Frenzel... I'm betting heavily on the SMS, but you've gotta admit, its an interesting shoot out considering... One thing off the bat tho, for me, is the reverb. I have grown to love the SMS reverb....
JonnyBoy

Postby Quarterpounder » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:02 am

I think I'll just use the Bag End as a bass cab which I think it was really designed for. I have a nice old Boogie open back cab that I think will work great. I can try the Cali, D123 and the EV thats in the cab now. I guess I have a lot of testing ahead of me. I also have a few amps to try. A Peavey Classic 60, Ashley Mosfet, Hafler Mosfet, and a Mac 250 on the way. I hope it works when it arrives. I'll A/B the Frenzel and Sarno for everyone. I have a very funny feeling am going to end up loving the Sarno, D123 and the Mac. Man this is so much fun!
Quarterpounder
tiger
tiger

Postby mijknahs » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:36 am

I never heard of Frenzel until this thread. Looks like they make some cool amps. I just saw this interesting preamp on the Frenzel site: http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/page50.php
mijknahs

Postby Quarterpounder » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:49 am

Hey Folks- I found where Brad references the Frenzel for those who have an interest. Here is the original Brad post. All hail Brad Sarno!!! Only a true gentleman would give you a recommendation for his closest competitor. That is why he gets my business and money. QP

"On a budget, the basic Frenzel tube preamp into a used Mosvalve power amp could get someone into an acceptable setup for well under $500. B"
Quarterpounder
tiger
tiger

Postby JonnyBoy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:52 am

The only thing about the comparison is that the quality of the components used in the SMS v's the Frenzel. I also remember Brad mentioning that the price for the Frenzel is well below his cost for the SMS... picking it all apart, putting it into a rack mount chasis, adding reverb, upgrading the components, adding the extra gain stage, making any and all "jerry value" changes/mods etc.... you would get to a comparable price pretty fast. The only "mod" that made my SMS better was adding some new old school RCA 12AX7's.
JonnyBoy

Postby Jon S. » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:58 pm

mijknahs wrote:I never heard of Frenzel until this thread. Looks like they make some cool amps. I just saw this interesting preamp on the Frenzel site: http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/page50.php

When I clicked on your link it took me to their Tube Reverb. Did you actually mean? http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/page17.php
Jon S.

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone