Sarno Music Solutions!

Re: Sarno Music Solutions!

Postby NSP » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:02 am

Yep...ED sounds amazing, exactly what I was hoping for. Between receiving that and doing a re-tube and biasing on my Carvin T100 yesterday I'm extremely happy with my rig.

Brad, again many thanks for doing what you do....

Peace,

-Tim
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby calbucks09 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:25 am

So i've been reading about the SMS for some time now, and I'm ready to order one.

Very excited.

Last consideration is I don't really understand the customization options within the Jerry mods. Can someone explain the tradeoffs between the different options like the 'carbon film resistor' .... I am completely clueless on how these amps are put together.

I just want low end growl and shimmering highs to the extent possible : )

Thanks
calbucks09
tiger
tiger

Postby HeadSpace » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:37 am

When you're ready to order, Brad will happily (and patiently) walk you through the various options. There are subtle differences, but it would be hard to go wrong. Most important thing maybe is for you to have an idea of what era Jerry tone you like most. Brad can then suggest the appropriate flavor of resistors, caps etc. He really couldn't be a nicer guy.
HeadSpace
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:28 am

calbucks09 wrote:

Thanks

The SMS is the right place to start for that. I went for the regular Jerry CTP with the metal film and its the deal, IMO. Of coarse the rest of the rig and how you attack the guitar completes the sound! But, the preamp is the main thing-a-ma-jiggy in my rig.

Has anyone pushed the preamp to about 3-4 o'clock to unlock the preamps clipping tones? I am kinda digging it through the mac especially. I think its clipping the mac too which is why I like it through that set up. Just seeing if anyone strays from the holy grail settings. Of coarse the "regular" Jerry settings are awesome, but pushing the pre a little harder seems to get that extra growl without the coloration of a booster/OD. The only drawback is the envelope filter and octave divider clipping harder, but turning down helps that from being too much of a problem. Is the Earth drive or high end$ booster the answer to get that clipping tone without extra color? I have a LPB1 but it is a little too bright to switch in and out easily. Its an awesome boost, and I like it with my combo amp, but its too bright for my jerry rig.

Anyone go for the "front end" tube clipping? How are you getting it?
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:57 am

calbucks09 wrote:So i've been reading about the SMS for some time now, and I'm ready to order one.

Very excited.

Last consideration is I don't really understand the customization options within the Jerry mods. Can someone explain the tradeoffs between the different options like the 'carbon film resistor' .... I am completely clueless on how these amps are put together.

Thanks

I'm getting ready to order ,too .... I'm just gonna let Brad do what he wants with the mods.
Never been able to get to that place with a amp that was OK .... always something ... tubes going bad ... caps dying ... blah blah blah .... vintage money pit good bye
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:35 am

Placed my Pre-Amp order on the 4th of July - just for the extra mojo
:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby tcsned » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:48 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Placed my Pre-Amp order on the 4th of July - just for the extra mojo
:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

You won't regret it. It has been the best gear purchase I've ever made.
tcsned

Postby tcsned » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:33 am

I finally got to test drive the Earth Drive last night . . . OMFG that thing is awesome! Another piece of game-changing work from Brad. There's not a bad sounding setting on it. I'll gig with it tomorrow night so I'll get even a better impression then but I had it cranked pretty loud in the garage last night . . . I'm sure the neighbors were happy :oops:
tcsned

Postby mgbills » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:08 am

I sent Brad an email when I recieved my ED. I wasn't really understanding Dist/Fuzz/etc, until I got the ED. It came just before I bought a Deluxe with mostly NOS tubes. The ED puts the Deluxe in my SMS>Mc rack rig. Everything else seems like a homogenous sea of similar-ness.

Yea Sarno Music Solutions. I wouldn't be suprised if the big boys don't come knocking on his door. They need to go to the Sarno effects school.

Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby eric » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:06 pm

I run my SMS in the 2-3 o'clock range as well . Im not bsing when I say it literally has a hard candy "sweetness" to it. There is no other way to describe it . With Waldo's buffer ESP , it is like candy... So wierd. Im not a tone geek either. I always thought those descriptions and reviews from others were metaphorical, but they are literal. I lightly run the ED after my fx loop and volume pedal and I can't imagine it gets any better.

On a tangent: I got the chance to check out my buddys Mad Professor MP101 last week, and holy smokes that thing is sick . Unreal... Disgusting ... But the CLEAN doesn't touch the SMS...
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Jon S. » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:31 am

Threw in plugs for Brad and Tracy w/pics and clips in a Jerry tone thread on TGP. Spread the word! 8)

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... stcount=12
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby redeyedjim » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:05 am

Jon S. wrote:Threw in plugs for Brad and Tracy w/pics and clips in a Jerry tone thread on TGP. Spread the word! 8)

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... stcount=12

Nice clips, Jon. :smile:

LOL, that thread was getting kinda crowded with rukind regulars...
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Pete B. » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:13 pm

Just got the email from Brad...
"Your Earth Drive finally shipped via USPS on 7/11/12."
:cool: :cool: :cool:
Pete B.

Postby tigger » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:17 pm

Sorry if this has been posted before, just came across it:
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/interviews/brands/sms
tigger
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby JonnyBoy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:47 pm

I would love to hear about some of the new 2012 Sarno Lineup... Line level clipping device? is this something you can use to clip the mac at lower volumes? That would be cool.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone