Peavy Classic 30

Peavy Classic 30

Postby bzbz » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:16 am

Hi - I am LONG TIME lurker who finally registered - I am planning on either modding or custom ordering a new axe a la Garcia tone - of course, I will eventually want SMS, power amp, - but in the meantime, I like the Peavy I have been using - one of the power tubes has blown, so it's more like a Peavy 20 - so I can crank it pretty good - do you think this amp will serve me? Mid boost off?
bzbz
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: Peavy Classic 30

Postby tcsned » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:07 am

Those Peavey Classics are pretty decent amps. I've had a Classic 50 and a Classic 30 (with a 15"). While it may not get you to a great Jerry tone, cutting the lows and cranking the highs will get you a reasonable Jerry tone. Do you have the 15" speaker in yours? I'd also replace the power tube as clean headroom is really what you're looking for in a Jerry tone.
tcsned

Postby FretfulDave » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:45 am

Agree with tcsned. You probably will not get great Jerry tone from the Classic 30. I liked my Classic 30 but it broke up on the power side, near as I could tell. I replaced the preamp tubes and got extra headroom at the cost of some of the "grainy gain". I put a 5751 in the V1 position and a balanced 12AT7 in the phase inverter, the V3 position. This seemed to add clarity and some headroom to the preamp section especially on the clean channel but I did lose what I surmised was annoying, lower volume, power tube breakup.

I also hear that upgrading the stock speaker in the Classic 30 is one of the most straightforward mods to make to "improve" the tone of the amp. I never did this but numerous others I have spoken with have done this.

Good luck.

Dave
The river keeps a talkin'
FretfulDave
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Mr.Burns » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:51 am

Since Peavey hasn't made a decent speaker since BWs, I'd agree with the speaker replacement advice. I've owned lots of different Peavey speakers, but none were much good...
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby gpilcher2001 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:41 am

I would get those power tubes replaced before you cause a bigger problem in an the amp. If your running a power section with 2 tubes both have to be matched and working. You have the potential to fry the output transformer very expensive fix. Greg....
good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor.....
gpilcher2001
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:06 am

gpilcher2001 wrote:I would get those power tubes replaced before you cause a bigger problem in an the amp. If your running a power section with 2 tubes both have to be matched and working. You have the potential to fry the output transformer very expensive fix. Greg....

+100
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby bzbz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks folks, am taking in the amp tomorrow - will have the 5751 and 12AT7 put in - and have the whole amp rebiased - etc -
bzbz
Rosebud
Rosebud

Return to Jerry Tone