Silverface Pro Reverb VS Twin...

Re: Silverface Pro Reverb VS Twin...

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:03 am

cmc64 wrote:Since this looks to be the Fender Pro Reverb all encompassing thread - Here we go....

I just came upon two different Pro Reverbs for sale and I was hoping for some input from you good people as I am tossing about the idea of picking one up.

Amp #1: Not sure of the year but it is a 50 Watt Blackface with a single 15" Jenson speaker in it. If all goes according to plan I will be picking up a pair of JBL E-120's on Sunday and I was wondering how difficult it would be two put the two JBL's into this amp. The amp itself is very clean and the seller is asking $550.

I would make the amp a head and put the speakers in a cab .....
8)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Smolder » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:52 am

you can do very well with a pro, a super, or a twin reverb. As stated above, they may be more beneficial in a head unit with an external cab. I found both a twin and super chassis used recently for around $300. Mojotone makes a head cab for $208 shipped... and on occasion you can find them on the bay for about 100 bucks.

All of the late 60's fenders at 40 watts and above are fundamentally the same a b763 circuit. And the silverface circuits, by and large, an easily be converted to that - if that's what you want. The difference will be the transformers... with a twin (even at half power - using only two power tubes) by far the cleanest... then the super, pro, bandmaster, vibrolux, etc. The outlier being the bassman which is pretty different from the rest.

I do have a twin in a combo cab, but have super light jbl's (D123) in it so it's not terribly heavy. The ONLY reason I have both speakers in that combo is because they are 15-20 watt and I don't want to blow them. (but I rarely turn the amp up past 4.)

Be careful getting caught up in exactly duplicating the jerry configuration. You're not likely to play stadiums, so a 200 watt power amp with 3 jbl's is most likely overkill. I've not recently played through that sort of rig so others should weigh in here. I'm also not convinced that my rig needs to "look like jerry' for me to play jerry or dead songs, but I digress.
Smolder

Postby cmc64 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:40 pm

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
cmc64 wrote:Since this looks to be the Fender Pro Reverb all encompassing thread - Here we go....

I just came upon two different Pro Reverbs for sale and I was hoping for some input from you good people as I am tossing about the idea of picking one up.

Amp #1: Not sure of the year but it is a 50 Watt Blackface with a single 15" Jenson speaker in it. If all goes according to plan I will be picking up a pair of JBL E-120's on Sunday and I was wondering how difficult it would be two put the two JBL's into this amp. The amp itself is very clean and the seller is asking $550.

I would make the amp a head and put the speakers in a cab .....
8)

That's is a good idea. However, it will take me some time to come up with the money for the cab. In the meantime , does anyone know how that Pro Reverb Sounds with the 15" Jensen in it? Somewhat Garcia-ish....???
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:52 pm

there are threads about K130's or 15" JBL's recently where people really like them and get good Jerry Tone with them. I still think if one is going for Jerry's tone, one should consider using his gear to the nearest decimal point. Again, a head cab, and a new speaker cab gets you what you want easily. They are really easy to build yourself if money's tight.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby cmc64 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:29 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:there are threads about K130's or 15" JBL's recently where people really like them and get good Jerry Tone with them. I still think if one is going for Jerry's tone, one should consider using his gear to the nearest decimal point. Again, a head cab, and a new speaker cab gets you what you want easily. They are really easy to build yourself if money's tight.

Yep, that's good advice, and it is exactly what I am going to do. The saving of $$ has begun - well it had begun, but in the last two hours something very interesting dropped right into my lap and for the price I had to buy it. But that is a whole other thread..

Thanks for the input guys!
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby Smolder » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:03 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:there are threads about K130's or 15" JBL's recently where people really like them and get good Jerry Tone with them. I still think if one is going for Jerry's tone, one should consider using his gear to the nearest decimal point. Again, a head cab, and a new speaker cab gets you what you want easily. They are really easy to build yourself if money's tight.

I've been thinking about building a BMR or Super Reverb into a tall princeton reverb single channel format for a grab and go. I was inspired by Allen Amps princeton reverb cab with space for a 15. The D130 I have is probably my favorite speaker (by a nose). It would be a great mid size grab and go.
Smolder

Postby Mosfed » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:13 pm

Personally I'd stick with the Pro and get 2 JBLs for it. The Twins are too damn loud and every option to make them quieter has its downsides:

- removing power tubes doesn't do much of anything
- you can't use the remove V1 mod as that makes the pre louder
- an attenuator is completely against the point
Etc

The Pro is just about perfect. Basically the same Ab763 pre circuit anyway
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone