Re-Statement
Phantasmagoria

There are 3 basic parts to a song:
Verse (Statement)
Chorus (Re-Statement)
Bridge (Phantasmagoria)

If you look at 12 bar blues in E you'd get this:

E is the statement
A is the re-statement - (it is usually played slightly different but similar to the E chord)
B7 is Phantasmagoria - (It is played different then either)

You can then go to a chorus and keep the same chords but change how you play them using your chorus as the re-statement, and play the bridge any way that makes sense to you (you can also change keys for effect) as long as you end up back at the statement again.

Or try this approach that sticks to the rules but gives you ideas:

Pick a key, any key...

How about G major?
That gives you some notes to work with:

G, A, B, C, D, E, F#

This then gives you some chords:

G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em, F#dim.
Then pick a chord progression like say - I, vi, ii, V, I So that is:

G, Em, Am, D, G

Use a D7 chord rather than the D as it shows perfect cadence and will sit better. So your progession to work with is now:

G, Em, Am, D7, G

To be clever you could pick an alternative chord sequence for the middle 8(same notes and chords but start with say Em, that would get into knowing about minor keys. Don't forget that if you are sticking to the rules once you have a key you then have all the notes to play with which give you the chords, so to find the progression you want it is a case of playing all different progression till one jumps out at you that you like and sounds good.

Those are just some ideas that stick to the rules, music is not maths but you need to know what is what. I am going to put up a post of keys and scales so check that out too, if you already haven't.

REMEMBER THIS:

MUSIC HAS 3 BASIC ELEMENTS: MELODY, HARMONY AND RHYTHM.

MELODY (TUNE)
RHYTHM (A BEAT)
HARMONEY (CHORDS)
Yesterdays gone home
bruce
bruce

Disciples of Hell

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:06 am

red
Last edited by Kenny on Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Yesterdays gone home » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:47 am

You make some good intresting points Kenny. But I have to disagree with that fact that Music is Maths, yes it is on a certain level but everything on this earth is Maths as well. To progress in music takes more than just having an ear for it or playing. You do need understanding on the theory side of things. But you should not get bogged down with the rules or sticking to what a textbook says I feel you should take what you can learn and then go your own way with it. What I posted there was a set of rules based within songwriting and keys etc...nothing has to stick to the rules as you rightly say so in that case you agree that Music isn't about Maths only when you transcribe it onto a piece of paper does it become maths.

I posted there some insights to a few things that might be of some use to some people, I kept it light and didn't go too deep, there really is no point in going too deep. I posted something that people can take and learn and then progress from there.

Music like most things in life is a very simple at the core and like art it is whatever you feel and sounds good to you the individual. That should never be forgotten.

I am not a pro but I study and play music with most of the spare time I can get. I really appreicate your reply and you make some great points.
Maybe you could put up some posts yourself on teaching methods etc.....I'd be very intrested in reading some.

Thanks....
Yesterdays gone home
bruce
bruce

Return to The Think Tank