lets talk Winter 80 Boogie tone (AGAIN!!!)

Re: lets talk Winter 80 Boogie tone (AGAIN!!!)

Postby cosmicbass » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:57 pm

waldo041 wrote:
jeffm725 wrote:Is he simply already on the dirty channel and just bringing up the guitar volume gave him the change in drive?

i think he is actually in the lead channel as stated, but is in humbucker for masterpiece with the volume rolled down as stated, and then pushed for the solo to bring in the grit.

peace,
waldo

I thought something similar. When I first heard the clip I was thinking volume knob and possibly even pick-up change. He may not have been full 'bucker till he needed it.
cosmicbass
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:28 am

keirweir wrote:I have been doing some experimenting with my tone knob with distortion and I can get a very similar tones.

Do I hear is a slight gain in treble or tone and in volume at that 36 second mark?

Two theories:

1 I hear the low note stuff that kicks off the solo sounding like the tone knob rolled is way back doing that muted honky horn thing. Seems like when the solo turns real hot, that is the OBEL kicking in the MXR+, but right around that point he must turn the tone bright because you can hear it change from the muted horn thingy.

2 Or maybe he just switched from the middle-pickup-single-coil-tone-off down to the bridge-pickup-humbucker-tone-bright. That one click may account for that sudden burst of bright distortion. That transition from semi-dirty, muted, tone-off sound into that bright searing lead tone sounds kind of like a one click move.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby Cmnaround » Wed May 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Schmidtz - that is a very cool Ganesh speaker cover you have going on there!
Cmnaround
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby cmc64 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:47 am

Cmnaround wrote:Schmidtz - that is a very cool Ganesh speaker cover you have going on there!

Agreed on that. Beautiful work!

What pedal is that that you have right before the Qtron+?

Excellent discussion here guys - of particular interest to me as I am (A) after the JG tone between fall '77 -> Spring '80 and (B) the Feb -> March 1980 JGB tour is easily my favorite, tone and playing-wise. I think I have every source out there of these shows and they comprise a sizable portion of my listening time.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:54 am

cmc64 wrote:Excellent discussion here guys - of particular interest to me as I am (A) after the JG tone between fall '77 -> Spring '80 and (B) the Feb -> March 1980 JGB tour is easily my favorite, tone and playing-wise. I think I have every source out there of these shows and they comprise a sizable portion of my listening time.

Fairly wide range of guitars in that time period: 9/77 to 5/78 you've got Wolf 2.0 with strat (type) pickups (did we ever learn what these were?); 7/78 to 7/79 you've got Wolf 3.0 with the Dimarzio SHH set; then Tiger with the same SHH set. Oh, and (kind of a minor footnote) June 78 is the Ibanez.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby GeneralGoldilocks » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:08 pm

sweet distortion on that clip. it sounds a lot better than some other distorted tones he plays where I feel the rig sounds good clean with his no bass and super bright tone, but then I am not into the tone when he uses the distortion pedal with these settings. I like a less bright distorted sound, like on this clip, more like a les paul allman brothers thing, although jerry clean is unbeatable.

so i picked up a mesa boogie lonestar classic and have been digging both channels to solve my dislike of the super bright distortion thing, although I know there is always the tone knob to do this. All I know is that the mesa boogie lonestar is a great jerry amp, and so much more. I would say the clean channel nails the blackface fender thing pretty well. I can get it to sound almost identical to my fender deluxe reverb reissue. the gain channel sounds great, and can sound very similar to this clip, and takes some dialing in to get what you want, but it is pretty cool so far. It was an impulse purchase, as it was only 850 bucks at a pawn shop, so I'm doing outdoor gigs with it, running the clean channel on 100 watts with the solid state rectifier, and the distorted channel on 50 watts with the tube rectifier, and getting awesome results. I want to put one jbl e120 in it, but it is a 2 12. the grillclothe is all ripped up, too, so I'm thinking about taking it apart, putting new grilleclothe on it, and having someone make me a 1 12 baltic birch baffle for it.

I wonder how similar the lonestar is to the mesa mark 11b? or whatever jerry was using in 80?
like waves against the bandstand dancers broke
GeneralGoldilocks
Keith
Keith

Postby TI4-1009 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:37 pm

GeneralGoldilocks wrote:All I know is that the mesa boogie lonestar is a great jerry amp, and so much more. I would say the clean channel nails the blackface fender thing pretty well.

+1
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby vwjodyme » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:13 pm

Is there a Jerry/Boogie timeline? Dozin's site only mentions them briefly that i see.
vwjodyme

Postby jeffm725 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:54 pm

With gd 75 until beginning of October 76 he used a mark 1
Jgb winter 1980 he used a mark 2a
Think ( not sure) he used a boogie for the reconstruction shows in 79.
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby Tony6Strings » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:31 am

Anybody have anything helpful to say about the Mark V? I've been GASing for one for quite some time now, and am curious if any of you have used it, own it, what you think of it, etc...
"Why do the best things always disappear, like Ophelia?"
Tony6Strings
Brent
Brent

Postby vwjodyme » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:30 am

Thanks Jeff!

and Tony if you search under "Mark V" there were a couple of threads on them not to long back. one was called "mesa mk v?"
vwjodyme

Postby mgbills » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:03 am

Boogie Lonestar is a great amp! Ran into the Dead Winter Carpenters a few weeks ago, and they had a pair. Tried to get my bandmate to score one, but it was out of his price range. I haven't heard a Boogie Amp yet, that tries to do the clean thing, that doesn't tear it up. I think there are troubled models. Nomad? Mark IV? Not sure. I've just heard these are less desirable. The Lonestar, VTwin, Mark V, Mark 1 (I had with JBL K120 original), Transatlantic Series....

All get very very close. There are fine differences. Yesterday Pete B & I jammed for a bit. He has a modified Dual Showman reverb (& tons of other cool shit), and I was playing my TA-15. Even at reasonable volumes...pretty freakin' close.

Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby Pete B. » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:18 am

I thought that Lil' Boogie sounded great, Marty.
And it's so darn cute!
Pete B.

Postby midnightrainband » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi,

Anybody know for sure what model Boogie Jerry used for that winter of 80 tour? MK1? MK2a?
Looking to buy the same amp and I want to get it right.
Thanks........
midnightrainband
tiger
tiger

Postby jeffm725 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:34 am

mark 2a
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone