Anybody seen these?

Re: Anybody seen these?

Postby JonnyBoy » Sun May 13, 2012 3:51 pm

he posted about the same time in a thread called "whadda make of this" And here is his link. http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/USA-Hand-Made-Jerry-Garcia-Tribute-Guitar-Neck-Through/112104-2267295.html#
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby freddyrose76 » Sun May 13, 2012 5:06 pm

JonnyBoy wrote:he posted about the same time in a thread called "whadda make of this" And here is his link. http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/USA-Hand-Made-Jerry-Garcia-Tribute-Guitar-Neck-Through/112104-2267295.html#

I found a Jerry Garcia Travis Bean on that site, too. Almost considered purchasing one until I read the seller's feedback (link below).
http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/Travi ... 41056.html

It sounds like they take pics of American made guitars but ship something totally different.
http://www.tradetang.com/seller_profile ... _id=118770

Liger is made in China, and the pictures on PHRED instruments website are what is shipped.
freddyrose76
tiger
tiger

Postby misngfingr » Mon May 14, 2012 1:56 pm

I'll post pics when it arrives...

it's getting curiouser and curiouser
misngfingr
tiger
tiger

Postby freddyrose76 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:57 pm

misngfingr wrote:I'll post pics when it arrives...

it's getting curiouser and curiouser

Oh yeah. post pics.
freddyrose76
tiger
tiger

Postby stuco » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:45 am

How about those pics?
stuco
tiger
tiger

Postby Marleyboy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:11 am

I bought an abyss guitar 10 years ago and that's all I play now.i have 3.the possibilities are endless.they play incredible.paul will not build you treys guitar.if he did it would cost you 20 k.nothing against phred but they are nothing like the real thing.however they make a great beginner guitar. Abyssguitars.com
Marleyboy
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby Panicdude » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:34 am

Anybody played one of these yet? They look pretty sweet, but why on the website do they all have blemishes or dings on them?
Panicdude
bruce
bruce

Postby Yankee Tim » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:18 pm

I have one. I'm fortunate to have one with a blemish on the back, and a few fine scratches in the finish on the front (which I covered with a Tiger decal). I got on line for one before the proto was in Fred's hands. So I got a pick of the litter.

I can say I love it. Build quality is quite good for an asian made thingy. While its no USA Gibson, its not a POS either. Its better than a lot of asian made stuff I see hanging on the shop walls. Better than the Artcore and close to my Artist, IMHO. The mahogany body adds warmth (I'm used to basswood, so), but I'd like to try the ash too (maybe buy the one no one wants? LOL). The action is very low, like lower than my 80's Ibanez which was really low to begin with. Almost too low as I can get some fret buzz on low E when playing hard. May raise it some.

Tone is nice for the pickups it has, but I plan on swapping in Dimarzios. I can say that I feel like a kid in a candy shop with the multitude of coil/pup selections. And the tone changes noticably with each flick of a switch. Its taking time for me to adjust, as I never had such options. The one bad thing is I have to completely relearn my Mutron. With my Ibanez, I can dial in my sound really quick (familiarity?) but I am all over the place with this. Definately need to do the OBEL, just dunno which UGB/Pre-amp I'm going to go with.

Even though the neck is long, and the body fairly light, its well balanced. I was afraid the neck would keep wanting to head to the floor, but stays right where it should comfortably. The neck is nice, but I find the frets to be a tad tall. Better extra metal and have them flattened some than not enough. The inlay is smooth and the ebony feels nice (i'm used to rosewood). The headstock is a thing of beauty. The pearloid binding is a nice detail. When I added a inlay decal I got off Ebay, the look was complete. I've gotten a lot of +++ comments from friends and music shop folks (as I shop for a case).

I wish there were hard cases for these. Nothing fits just right. An SG case was close, but the neck too long. It slopped around too much in a Strat case. Unless someone else has a suggestion, then a custom-cut ATA flight case is in order.

Overall, I think it's well worth the money. Could I buy a guitar with better build quality for the $$? Probably. Could I pay less for a guitar with similar quality? Probably. Can I walk into a store and get a similar build quality axe with 3 pups, coil splits, and the look of a Irwin for this price? No. Given that parameter, I like it.

I actually like it so much, I pre-ordered a Languedoc clone from him as well. Blonde flame, twin soaps, and I like it that way. Should look nice on the office wall next to this one, and the occasional farting around after burning a fatty and jamming with friends or myself.

To start the rumor mill, there is another Jerrylicious model coming along. And yeah, I'm on that wait list as well.

Anyone else have a Phred?
Yankee Tim
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Yankee Tim » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:26 pm

Oh, I never answered your question. I'm sorry, its this self-inflicted short-term memory loss thing I have. :lol:

From what I understand, the chinese have a little to learn still on product finishing QA/QC. Need a little ISO action I guess. Fred said they will work that out on future batches. If looks doesn't matter, then the discount from the original price ($599) makes for a great platform to build off of IMO.
Yankee Tim
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby mijknahs » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Yankee Tim wrote:To start the rumor mill, there is another Jerrylicious model coming along. And yeah, I'm on that wait list as well.

What is the rumor? Wolf?
mijknahs

Postby Staemius » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:22 pm

Thanks for that review - would love to see a wolf. Never felt quite 'worthy' with the idea of a tiger style clone, hehe, and have always been a bit more attracted to the wolf anyways.
Staemius
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Yankee Tim » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:52 am

Lets just say its not as late as Rose but not as early as Alligator. And its not a Beaner. All I know is I'm on the list. Good guitars that make awesome wall art. I have signed Stanley Mouse artwork I've paid more for, and you can't play Bertha on a poster.
Yankee Tim
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby paulinnc » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Yankee Tim wrote:Lets just say its not as late as Rose but not as early as Alligator. And its not a Beaner. All I know is I'm on the list. Good guitars that make awesome wall art. I have signed Stanley Mouse artwork I've paid more for, and you can't play Bertha on a poster.

How do I get on the list?
paulinnc

Postby Yankee Tim » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:39 pm

I'd suggest emailing Fred or I think he's on the board. Let him know you want in on what he's doing (I hope I'm not letting the monkey outta the bag). He's also working on a really cool "original" Phred design that appears to be what would happen if an Irwin and a Languedoc were locked in a closet, on moly. Neato.
Yankee Tim
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby freddyrose76 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:48 am

Yankee Tim wrote:He's also working on a really cool "original" Phred design that appears to be what would happen if an Irwin and a Languedoc were locked in a closet, on moly. Neato.

Shh, it's a secret. :)
freddyrose76
tiger
tiger

Previous

Return to Guitar Building and Mods