Super distortion

Super distortion

Postby Marleyboy » Sat May 26, 2012 8:23 am

I have a custome arch top with Duncan 59s .i love them but I have put together a dead band and have changed my whole rig.i got a Bruno cowtipper a hard truckers cab on the way and 2 of Jerry's old basket e120 s that I had hemp coned.so I am on my way to the Jerry tone.i have an old super distortion that I took out of a guild years ago and replaced it with a 59 .should I replace the 59 with the super?is it worth it?the 59 sounds great and herring pulls it off with 59s.im just wondering if it will make that much of a difference.-marleyboy
Marleyboy
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Re: Super distortion

Postby Bear62 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Stick w/ the Duncans in the Archtop. I have a Dimarzio in bridge of my Les Paul and it is a lousy match. Way to HOT! Sounds great in a my Resurrection Jerry Guitar, but not w/ the Gibson. I put it in many moons ago when the original PU died. Have wanted to change it for years now. The amp and speakers will have a huge impact on your tone. At least try it 1st w/ the Duncans. I think you will be happy!

Gregg
Bear62
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tigerstrat » Mon May 28, 2012 12:49 pm

throughout the mid-70's Pete Towshend played Les Pauls with a Super Distortion in the middle.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue May 29, 2012 4:16 pm

My experience has been different with a Super Distortion in the bridge. I have used one in a Les Paul and in my #1 Jerry guitar which is a neck through musician/vantage styled guitar, and it is my favorite "tele" style sound. It breaks up great naturally, but you do have to work the tone knob to taste, its pretty bright. One of my favorite country style chicken-pickin' tones for sure for big river, its all over now, etc.... I am talking about a Super D not a super II. I thought many guys in the 70's and 80's used a super D in the bridge for gnarly tones... I went with the super D because I'll never split a humbucker in the bridge anyway.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Return to Jerry Tone