Pedal board cables

Chat about Equipment Info

Pedal board cables

Postby sants » Fri May 25, 2012 5:57 am

Looking at rewiring my board.

What are you guys using on your boards.

Was thinking george L or Belden.

Please recommend away. Would also need decent right angle connectors.
sants
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Re: Pedal board cables

Postby hogan » Fri May 25, 2012 6:49 am

Canare GS-4 w/ pancake style right angle plugs. If done right they will last and they are affordable. It's not necessary to use gs-6 for patch cables, it costs more. gs-4 is the the same gauge as george l.

Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby JonnyBoy » Fri May 25, 2012 7:00 am

I found using cheaper stuff is more than adequate since the pedal board usually stays intact and connected. I bought a spool of 500 ft of Belden off Ebay for a deal and a half. Radio shack has a pair of right angle, relative to that style above, for $3.99 a pair. Have yet to need to replace one. If you are using a buffer, you can buy a 10 pack of Hosa's and go from there!
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby jahozer » Fri May 25, 2012 7:16 am

I bought a bunch of george L cable and right angle connectors from someone who hated them. I love them. Its very nice to have the option to rewire my board and keep my pedals where they are. The guy who had them didnt have them cut properly. They have to be cut on right agles or they will be horrible. But done right, they are very useable cables with custom lengths. The trouble is that the kit is expensive regular retail.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby petcat » Fri May 25, 2012 6:12 pm

With the George L's I have had some effects totally come alive and it is like having a blanket removed from them - I used to not believe in that stuff. With other connections...meh, made no appreciable difference. The magic of them is largely in the easily customized link length. BUT you have to cut the cable ends clean and check carefully for stray shield wire that might cause a short, even a "slight" short. You have to push the ends in very securely. You have to tighten them occasionally and I have seen how, over time they can work loose or short.
It is the WIRE that is the magic...not the ends. BUT the shielding does extend right up over the hot and that's good. You do have to check them with a meter after you screw them down. You "could" work the shielding back from the hot and solder them to nice switchcraft jacks and probably get a similar sound to a Canare wire. Keep an eye out for used sets and rewire them.
petcat
tiger
tiger

Postby Deadhead85 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:13 pm

I just ordered all my George L cable, ends and relief caps to re-wire both of my boards! So long live wire cables!
Deadhead85
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion