SNL

SNL

Postby amyjared » Mon May 21, 2012 8:34 pm

Anyone watch Jagger on SNL this past Saturday? They had a segment that was a take-off of American Idol or one of them (I don't watch any of those shows, so not sure which one they were parodying) but it was called something like: So you think you can dance...at an outdoor festival! First up was this hippie girl dancing to Touch of Grey! It was priceless. Check it out, if you didn't see it!
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
User avatar
amyjared
Senior Member
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: SNL

Postby eric » Mon May 21, 2012 10:09 pm

Agreed!! Best entire SNL in a longtime .. Mick Jagger was actually funny as all heck , he tore it up with the Foo Fighters. The guy on the Tele had amazing tone ... And "So you think you can dance at an outdoor music festival" was hilarious..
eric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:00 am
Location: CT / RI

Re: SNL

Postby Jimaroe » Mon May 21, 2012 10:16 pm

I hadn't watched an episode of SNL since the Chris Farley, David Spade, Sandler days, but for some reason, I caught most of the Jagger episode and thought it was pretty good considering today's SNL ( no offense if you're a fan of the current show). Anyways, caught that DEAD reference as well as another in the same show! One of the skits had a karaoke theme and there is a Grateful Dead / Jefferson Airplane concert poster in the shot behind the stage. I love finding DEAD references in movies/tv. *edited my original post. Attempted to hijack your thread and then thought better of it :-)
Jimaroe
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:03 am

Re: SNL

Postby Mr.Burns » Tue May 22, 2012 5:58 am

Jimaroe wrote:thought it was pretty good considering today's SNL ( no offense if you're a fan of the current show)


Not enjoying the current SNL is, of course, your inalienable right, but to dismiss it entirely because of the absence of your favorite cast members would be a mistake, akin to dismissing Furthur or the Allman Brothers for the same reason.

Another mistake would have been for the show not to have carried on through the low points. Today the show is incredibly popular, thanks to youtube, and it is funny. Not everything is funny, but have you ever seen the first episode? It was like The Paul Simon Show. He's great, but not exactly hilarious.

The hippie girl was Kristen Wiig, and if you caught her sendoff at the credits, you know it was her final show. Seeing the other cast members say goodbye to her was difficult. It's been a long time since tv moved me like that. We'll miss her, almost as much as the rest of the cast already does.
Image
User avatar
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:01 pm
Location: Far out, man.

Re: SNL

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:00 am

Agree. SNL is currently at one of its peaks, and this show was very good on a number of levels. Mick was hillarious in the skits.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
User avatar
TI4-1009
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1483
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:27 am
Location: Upstate NY- Toodaloo

Re: SNL

Postby Jimaroe » Tue May 22, 2012 7:36 am

Mr.Burns wrote:
Jimaroe wrote:thought it was pretty good considering today's SNL ( no offense if you're a fan of the current show)


Not enjoying the current SNL is, of course, your inalienable right, but to dismiss it entirely because of the absence of your favorite cast members would be a mistake, akin to dismissing Furthur or the Allman Brothers for the same reason.


Another mistake would have been for the show not to have carried on through the low points. Today the show is incredibly popular, thanks to youtube, and it is funny. Not everything is funny, but have you ever seen the first episode? It was like The Paul Simon Show. He's great, but not exactly hilarious.

Hi burns: the gist of my post was, that I was pleasantly surprised with Saturday Night's show. I too, thought Mick Jagger was funny and I, for the majority, enjoyed the skits. I am not a television critic, merely made reference to a time when I enjoyed the cast, and genuinely looked forward to an episode. I guess you could say that is my inalienable right but that too me is a bit dramatic as in, Life, Liberty and the pursuit of enjoying the current SNL?
I have never seen the Paul Simon first episode, but If I had nothing better to do, I could probably find it, watch it and then post a rebuttal to your single statement that he (Paul Simon) is incredibly funny and then inquire as to whether you've ever seen him in his music video with Chevy Chase.
My only bone of contention with your post was the comparison of two entirely separate casts and that of Furthur and the Grateful Dead as well as the Allman brothers. You seem to imply that not enjoying SNLs current cast for the sole reason that it does not include my favorite era of comedians is akin to not liking Furthur because Jerry,Billy Mickey and Brent aren't in it. I presume your Allman reference was because Duane was no longer in the band. And this, if it is your point is WAY off base. Truth be told, I've now seen Furthur almost as many times as I had the opportunity to see the Grateful Dead and I can tell you Burns, for me, I enjoy and look forward to the Furthur shows as much as I did, seeing the Grateful Dead.
Jimaroe
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:03 am

Re: SNL

Postby vwjodyme » Tue May 22, 2012 7:51 am

Here's the only link I could find. I think I have been the pointy guy with the beer once or twice :lol:

User avatar
vwjodyme
Senior Member
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 5:50 am
Location: South Shore, MA

Re: SNL

Postby Mr.Burns » Wed May 23, 2012 5:21 am

@Jimaroe

Wow, bro.

I only quoted you because you posted a common qualifier that folks use to justify ripping on a given SNL cast. Perhaps I shouldn't have quoted, because it seems you've taken it personally, as well as all wrong.

NOT seeing Furthur or the ABB would be a mistake. Does that clarify my post? I don't think you got my drift before.

I'm not questioning you or your musical tastes, just pointing out to others who share the opinion that "SNL sucks because its not 1978 or the 1990s" is the same as dismissing Furthur for the reasons you stated. And we all know that would be a mistake...agreed?

You did say "no offense", and none was taken. I mean no harm, either.
Image
User avatar
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:01 pm
Location: Far out, man.

Re: SNL

Postby Jimaroe » Wed May 23, 2012 7:31 am

Hey Burns
It feels silly to even continue this dialogue but, as you feel I've missed your point, I feel you've missed my point and the original purpose of my post. Your initial quote of a singular sentence of my post and subsequent refute of my position on the grounds of essentially "not having an open mind" as I read it, by completely dismissing the current cast because the cast I mentioned had all moved on would be a mistake, similar to (your words not mine) disliking Furthur because it's made up of parts not original to the Grateful Dead, correct? If this is your point, as I understood it, than I think I've grasped it. However, this is not the point of my post or even the singular, fragmented sentence you ripped from my message. My message being, I enjoyed Mick and the skits. Further, I loved seeing the Dead reference(s) in the show. Let me clarify, once more, the topic of the current cast. I thought the show was funny. I've attempted to watch periodically over the past 10 or so years and, quite frankly it doesn't capture my attention like early episodes. By earlier episodes, I mean the eras of Chris Farley, Sandler and Spade. However, one could substitute the era of Akroyd, Chase, Martin and Rudner. To me, the cast, show, writing what have you is nowhere near what it was during many other eras. Not because I'm holding on to the past, not because I was too young to actually see the Grateful Dead and so I'm playing the "fairness" card trying to convince myself and others to give the new line up a chance, but because, in my opinion certain eras of entertainment trump others. So, there is nothing personal here Burns. I just want to make clear that I have not dismissed the current cast because it doesn't include folks that I think are funny.
Jimaroe
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:03 am

Re: SNL

Postby Mr.Burns » Wed May 23, 2012 8:49 am

Jimaroe wrote:similar to (your words not mine) disliking Furthur because it's made up of parts not original to the Grateful Dead


Mr.Burns wrote:dismiss it entirely because of the absence of your favorite cast members


So, you can see, those are not my words, not at all.

If you read my post and came up with that, then let me clarify: I am almost certain we have the same opinion of Furthur, they're amazing.

SNL is great, too. :peas:
Image
User avatar
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:01 pm
Location: Far out, man.

Re: SNL

Postby Jimaroe » Wed May 23, 2012 9:19 am

Ok Burnsie. Let's not belabor this thing. Let's just agree we both like Furthur.

Jim
Jimaroe
Terrapin
Terrapin
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:03 am

Re: SNL

Postby TI4-1009 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:36 pm

:deadhorse
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
User avatar
TI4-1009
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1483
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:27 am
Location: Upstate NY- Toodaloo


Return to Grateful Dead General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest